Windows 10: Networking on Windows VM from KVM/ QEMU Host via Bridge

Discus and support Networking on Windows VM from KVM/ QEMU Host via Bridge in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks For those running Windows VM's on Linux Hosts and want to try the Linux Hypervisor (VMWare and VBOX will run concurrently so you don't even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jan 6, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Networking on Windows VM from KVM/ QEMU Host via Bridge

Hi folks

For those running Windows VM's on Linux Hosts and want to try the Linux Hypervisor (VMWare and VBOX will run concurrently so you don't even need to power off any running Windows VM's) with decent networking you need to set up a network Bridge (roughly analogous to External Switch in HYPER-V). Otherwise the VM will have access to the Internet only and other parts of your LAN but no host access either way -- either from HOST TO VM or from VM to HOST.

I've assumed you've already installed basic networking and managed to create a Virtual Machine . (You can create the bridge of course before creating the Virtual Machine to test if it's working properly).

1) On the HOST install bridge-utils
    2) Create the bridge -- this is done with a simple file in /etc/netctl directory -- my example is kvm-bridge
    3) here's the simplest possible file . If you don't like the basic vi editor (ugh !!!!) you can use a wysisyg full screen editor e.g kate that allows root save to root access only folders.

Interface=br0
    Connection=bridge
    BindsToInterfaces=(enp2s0f1) ===>to a physical device in your system --
    IP=dhcp

4) start the bridge : netctl start kvm-bridge

5) automatically start at Host boot

netctl enable kvm-bridge

6) Check via any command if interfaces all working (via ifconfig or any appropriate command). To display the bridge use the command brctl show.

7) In Samba add these two lines to /etc/samba.conf file

bind interfaces only = yes
    interfaces = br0 >>>>> Name of your bridge

If you don't do this on the HOST (only) the host will not have any access to any VM's on the LAN whatever host they are attached to -- even those on different physical machines - it will still be able to access physical machines and the Internet though.

8) in the VM config for windows (Easy GUI is to use lib-virt - Virtual machine manager) create virtual network --- specify network source -- etc as shown (for Virtio install the win-virtio drivers otherwise a physical nic card will come up - can be used also but virtio is streets ahead for better for Windows)

Networking on Windows VM from KVM/ QEMU Host via Bridge [​IMG]

9) Now your VM has full network access

10 ) And from the HOST (Hestur) -- the 2nd VM is a VMWare W10 VM on a different host (wulf) not running KVM.

Job Done "Seeemples" !!!

enjoy !!!! ( it's a lot more fun than just starting up VMWare player !!!!!)

Cheers

jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jan 6, 2020

2. qemu-kvm

virt-manager is the gui that can be used to do exactly this.

from the open source project:QEMU is a generic and open source machine emulator and virtualizer.

When used as a machine emulator, QEMU can run OSes and programs made for one machine (e.g. an ARM board) on a different machine (e.g. your own PC). By using dynamic translation, it achieves very good performance.

When used as a virtualizer, QEMU achieves near native performances by executing the guest code directly on the host CPU. QEMU supports virtualization when executing under the Xen hypervisor or using the KVM kernel module in Linux. When using KVM, QEMU can virtualize x86, server and embedded PowerPC, and S390 guests.

Easy Rhino, Jan 6, 2020
  3. W1zzard Win User
    qemu-kvm

i'm missing some kind of free gui based management thing for qemu-kvm that lets me do common VM tasks

W1zzard, Jan 6, 2020
  4. Networking on Windows VM from KVM/ QEMU Host via Bridge

is Windows Server 2016 supports UEFI secure Boot on KVM Hypervisor?

Hi

As part of customer ask we are validating Windows Server 2016 [Guest VM] UEFI secure boot mode on KVM(Hypervisor) Host. I am looking for support documents which helps me in assessing the same.

is Windows Server 2016 supports UEFI secure Boot on KVM Hypervisor? if so please provide information here.

Environment Details

KVM Host :RHEL 7.3

Guest VM : Windows Server 2016

Qemu Version : qemu-kvm-ev-2.9.0-16.el7_4.13.1

Thanks in Advance.

Pavan Kumar Aravapalli, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

Networking on Windows VM from KVM/ QEMU Host via Bridge

1. Networking on Windows VM from KVM/ QEMU Host via Bridge - Similar Threads - Networking KVM QEMU

2. VM via QEMU -- Photoshop and Multi Media devices acessible latest W10

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VM via QEMU -- Photoshop and Multi Media devices acessible latest W10: Hi folks All my Multi media devices readily accessible and Photoshop working with great performance (OK it's not the latest Photoshop -- I don't go for the "Monthly stuff" ) but this was the latest non subscription version = perfectly good enough for what I do. I'm running...
  3. Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host: Hi folks I created a working bridge to a physical NIC as per : [[email protected] hrafn]# ifconfig enp2s0f1 0.0.0.0 [[email protected] hrafn]# brctl addbr br0 [[email protected] hrafn]# brctl addif br0 enp2s0f1 <==== one of my NIC physical interfaces - [[email protected]...
  4. Network Bridge host periodically loses internet connection

Network Bridge host periodically loses internet connection: Hello all, I recently moved in to my university's apartment complex and I'm having issues with network-bridging. My desktop is connected to the apartment's WAP with an ethernet cable. I use a usb-ethernet adapter and crossover cable to connect my desktop to my laptop....
  5. Future of VM's - KVM, Windows and Vmware

Future of VM's - KVM, Windows and Vmware: Hi Folks I thought this is a reasoned (for once) and decently written informative article --not a sales pitch that we so often get from "Pseudo Technical" articles written in such places like PC magazine etc. Anyway enjoy -- you don't have to agree with it but I found...
  6. KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting)

KVM Host --W10 VM with HYPER -V running another VM (Nesting): Hi there. It seems some CPU's will handle HYPER-V in a VM running on a Host where a HYPERVISOR (KVM in this case) is already running. One needs to make a few mods otherwise booting up the VM running UNDER the HYPER-V (the 2nd level VM) will freeze. I'm currently...
  7. vmware release 12.5.0 fails on Bridged networking from Wifi host

vmware release 12.5.0 fails on Bridged networking from Wifi host: Hi there not a big problem but if my HOST has a wifi connection to the internet then a VM (or at least Networking) )doesn't work when enabling BRIDGED networking (NAT works OK but I need Bridged !!)) If I connect the host to my internet via Ethernet or to a...
  8. Network adapter settings to isolate vm from host

Network adapter settings to isolate vm from host: What network adapter settings mean vms can communicate with each other but not with host? Thanks Vmware Workstation 10 69475
  9. KVM - Windows 10 VM running with IE

KVM - Windows 10 VM running with IE: Hi there Here's another VM running under KVM -- W10 showing IE running on it. [img] Cheers jimbo 47655
  10. VM networking NAT cannot connect to Bridged networking PC's

VM networking NAT cannot connect to Bridged networking PC's: Hi there. one W10 VM is connected to LAN via NAT, other 4 via Bridged -- to SAME LAN. the NAT networked computer can see the others but can't access shared files. Changing to Bridged -- works OK. Was trying NAT as Bridged uses individual number of IP addresses -...