Windows 10: Networking problems- can't see other PCs

Discus and support Networking problems- can't see other PCs in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; We have a home networking router Nighthawk 7000 setup with 3 PCs 2 are Win 10 Home, 1 is Win 7 Home connected with ethernet, two Win 10 Home laptops... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by madkiwi, Dec 19, 2020.

1. madkiwi Win User

Networking problems- can't see other PCs

We have a home networking router Nighthawk 7000 setup with 3 PCs 2 are Win 10 Home, 1 is Win 7 Home connected with ethernet, two Win 10 Home laptops connected via wifi.

Here is the current state of affairs, under Explorer>Network:

The Dell Win 7 PC can see all shared devices.

The LG Win 10 laptop can see itself and the Dell Win 7 PC

The Ibuypower Win 10 PC can see the Dell Win 7 PC and the LG Laptop not itself

The Lenovo Win 10 laptop can see the LG Laptop but the Dell Win 7 machine only as a media device

The Lenovo Win 10 desktop can see the Dell Win 7 PC and the LG Laptop

We have checked all the usual troubleshooting steps- network is set to private on all computers, sharing is enabled for various folders on all computers, Network discovery and file and printer sharing are turned on.

According to Microsoft that is all it should take, right?

Went into services.msc on all systems and made sure that:

Function Discovery Resource Publication is set to Auto

SSDP Discovery is set to Auto

UPnP Device Host is set to Auto

I'm not a total newbie my first network was setting up Lantastic 6.0 at an old employer and this is just weird. It must be something simple that I am not seeing, but damned if I can figure it out. What is really odd is that the Windows 7 machine is the one with everything working...

:)

madkiwi, Dec 19, 2020
  2. Eric2139 Win User

How to Dump Networking Parameters?

Had a customer with this problem, they had a brand new Dell Optiplex 3050, with Windows 10 1709, and Realtek Gbit Family of lan adapters (wired connection). After much troubleshooting (many suggestions listed in the course of this thread), it turned out the PC needed a bios update. Among the updates listed on the dell website for bios version 1.52 (I flashed it with the latest 1.92) was "Update RealtekLOM".

LOM is "lan on motherboard" and the Realtek has flashable firmware.

One step for others having this issue is to check their computer manufacturer's website for "Lom" firmware updates for the particular network adapter - whether integrated or an add-in.

Eric2139, Dec 19, 2020
  3. pmokover Win User
    Network Reporting/Listing Problem

I have three PCs in a Workgroup network. All are connected to the router via Ethernet. All are running Windows 10 Pro 64bit with the latest updates. All connect to the Internet with no problems. Each one connects to the other two for file sharing.

I'm not having a network connection problem but I am having what I would call a reporting or listing problem. Specifically, in File Explorer, PC#3 does not show up under Network. PC#1 and PC#2 show up in File Explorer on all three PCs but PC#3 does not show up on any of the PCs. Again, all three PCs ARE connecting with each other but PC#3 is just not showing up on the network list.

If I manually type \\PC3\ in the Windows Explorer address bar, it instantly shows up under Network. If I close Windows Explorer and open it again later I have to manually type \\PC3\ again to get it to show.

So, it's not a connection problem. PC#3 is connected to the other two. It's just not automatically showing up under Network in Windows Explorer.

I don't think it's a hardware or driver problem because there's no connection problem. There's just a reporting/listing problem.

Any clues or suggestions appreciated!

Peter

pmokover, Dec 19, 2020
  4. Networking problems- can't see other PCs

Network Adapter PROBLEM

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

First Verify if the WLAN service is started and set to automatic, if the WLAN service is stopped, I would suggest you to start the service and put it to automatic.

Step 1: Please follow the steps to
    start the WLAN service.

• Click on Start, type in services.msc
      and press Enter.

• Select WLAN Autoconfig from the list, Right click
      properties.

• Change the startup type to Automatic.

• Click on Start button.

• Click on Apply, Ok.
    Restart the computer and verify if it works.

Also check if all the dependencies are also running. Try the steps to check Dependencies.

• Right-click on WLAN Autoconfig and select Properties.

• Click on Dependencies, you will find all the dependency services under box labeled this service depends on the following system components.
    Step 2: Run an inbuilt Network troubleshooter.

• Press Windows + X key and select
      Control Panel.

• Type troubleshooting and select troubleshooting.

• Click on view all on the left pane and select
      Network adapter.

• Follow the on-screen steps and check.
    I would also suggest you to check with the below link to check how to resolve wireless problems.

Refer:
    Wired and wireless network problems

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Dec 19, 2020
Thema:

Networking problems- can't see other PCs

1. Networking problems- can't see other PCs - Similar Threads - Networking problems can't

2. Windows 10 PCs can't see each other

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 PCs can't see each other: I have two PCs both running Windows 10 and ESET Antivirus and Firewall. When they are both on Network 1 they can see each other and share folders happily. Then, if I move them to Network 2 they can no longer see each other or share folders. The only change I make to both is...
  3. Windows 10 PCs can't see each other

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 PCs can't see each other: I have two PCs both running Windows 10 and ESET Antivirus and Firewall. When they are both on Network 1 they can see each other and share folders happily. Then, if I move them to Network 2 they can no longer see each other or share folders. The only change I make to both is...
  4. Windows 10 PCs can't see each other

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. cannot see other pcs on network????

cannot see other pcs on network????: all of a sudden, i cannot see the other 2 pcs on my network, nor can they see me. i have win 10 64 home on all, all updates as of today, have made sure 2 Function services are started, and all SMB file sharing boxes are checked in windows programs and features. i even tried...
  6. Some network PCs not seeing each other

Some network PCs not seeing each other: I have 5 PCs on my network, all running Windows10. Some are connected to the router by ethernet, others by wifi: it doesn't seem to matter which. A, B and C can see all 5 including themselves. Both D and E can only see B and D. What could be stopping them seeing all five?...
  7. Home network - can't get all PCs to see each other

Home network - can't get all PCs to see each other: I have a home network with 2 PCs (C & B) and 2 laptops (C & D) all running Windows 10 with latest update. Using File Explorer - Network - A can see B & self (A) B can see A & self (B) C can see A & B but not self (C) D can see A & B and self (D) but not C A can see and...
  8. New Win 10 PCs cannot see other PCs on network

New Win 10 PCs cannot see other PCs on network: I have 4 computers on a local private network. Previously these were 2 Windows 10 laptops which had been upgraded from Windows 7, 1 Windows 7 desktop and 1 Linux desktop. At that time all 4 computers could see every computer on the network and were set up so each could share...
  9. PCs Can't See Each Other On A Network

PCs Can't See Each Other On A Network: Hi Our network has not been working properly for ages but we've coped. Now, however, I want to get it working as it should do. Our network comprises three PCs, our two main PCs and a spare which does get used on a regular basis. All are connected via ethernet cables and...
  10. Can't see inside other PCs on network

Can't see inside other PCs on network: I posted this originally in the Insiders section --but got no response -- so I'm reposting it here. I have a Win8.1 PC that I use as a file server, so I regularly connect to it, using "tried and true" accessing techniques that have worked fine for years. I set up the...