Windows 10: Networking Windows 10 and Windows 7 home network

Discus and support Networking Windows 10 and Windows 7 home network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just bought W10 to replace my desk XP in my living room Intermittently, I've been able to get W10 to see and file share with my W7 laptop in my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bob_936, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Bob_936 Win User

Networking Windows 10 and Windows 7 home network

I just bought W10 to replace my desk XP in my living room

Intermittently, I've been able to get W10 to see and file share with my W7 laptop in my bedroom. Most often success with that.

Very rarely have I been able to get my w7 laptop in my bedroom to see or share files with the W10.

Both computers see and operate the 3 Brother printers I had connected to my old home network, between the XP and the W7; and both are on the Intenet just fine,

I cannot get the W10 to see anything of the old home network (named HOME09); although it does see the printers which were installed

to HOME09 only. (???). So apparently the W10 was cleverly designed to prevent access to it by only the W7? But everything was working

toward the beginning of the 4 days I've been wasting trying to get it right ever since. How does W10 see my 3 printers installed only on HOME09 net work, while not seeing my W7, all only on that same network??

That was one evening. After I tried to start up the whole thing next day, it decided not to work, again; and never has since.

On the W7 I do get a sensible error report "Network adapter not connected" but no clear instruction what to do about that. I assumed it meant on the W7? The W10, at a different, and apparently unrelated time, gave me a similar report that something "is not connected." In the Device Manager of my W7 there are 3 "network adapters," two of them displaying red X's and the third apparently being used to connect to HOME09.

The guy who sold me the W10 told me in the midst of conversation (he had gotten the W10 working at his shop for me, at a cost of $25,

which I don't have the finances to afford again for awhile) told me I wouldn't get any intelligible help out of the Microsoft "Troubleshooters" or other "help" etc, which has certainly proved to be true. He suggested that some of that is intentional, and I'm convinced of that.

Another thing that may help: There are 3 "media player" devices showing on the network displays (both W10 and W7) which I never asked for, nor installed; and they see files on both computers, both ways. but only video and music files for the most part. I need doc files much more than these.

Can someone help, or direct me to an intelligible book on the W10? Thanks so much! I'm 82 yr old with nothing but SS. Thanks!

Bob

Christ Died to Save You

:)

Bob_936, Mar 9, 2019
  2. OrbitzXT Win User

Windows 7 & XP Networking Problem

I have two PCs in my room connected to a Linksys router, both had Windows 7 on them and had file sharing enabled through the Homegroup feature. Now I have XP on one PC, and still Windows 7 on the other. I setup the network on my XP PC and had the Windows 7 PC setup properly so that they could network together.

In 'My Network Places' I can see both PC's listed, I can double click the Windows 7 PC from my Windows XP PC and see the folders that I have set to share, but when I double click any of the folders I get an error message saying "\\PC-2\MP3 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied.

However, on my Windows 7 PC, I can go to network and browse all of the files I have set to share on the XP PC. So what do I need to do so that I can access the files on my Windows 7 PC on my Windows XP PC?

OrbitzXT, Mar 9, 2019
  3. Windows 7 and Home Networking

Cable internet, all computers plugged into the router and what i want is shared and readable on the network. All computers are windows 7 professional and setup with a home network minus the homegroup.

CrAsHnBuRnXp, Mar 9, 2019
  4. Networking Windows 10 and Windows 7 home network

Windows 7 networking issue

Hi all,

Today my laptop stopped opening pages on any browser (chrome, firefox, IE). Chrome says the page request is being rejected so I googled this up but wasn't able to fix it with the suggestions I found. Windows can't connect to anything in my network( other PCs etc.) and has no internet.

The funny part about all this is that my utorrent still keeps on working inside windows.

Internet and networking works fine when I am in safe mode with networking.

I tried flushing dns, reset winsock, resetting wireless adapter, reset the router, renewed the wireless lease, disabled ipv6/ipv4 alternatively, set static ip, set manual dns and tried network diagnostics - which said that there is something wrong but has insufficient information available to find out what is wrong. I can ping google from cmd.

My other PCs network absolutely fine so this is no issue with my router.

Am I missing something ? Are there any good diagnostics software that will resolve the issue I'm facing ?

Thanks in advance

techjunkie, Mar 9, 2019
Thema:

Networking Windows 10 and Windows 7 home network

1. Networking Windows 10 and Windows 7 home network - Similar Threads - Networking home network

2. Windows 10 Home Networking

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Home Networking: I had a home network set up between my PC and a laptop. This worked well until, I assume, a Windows update broke it. I can see the laptop on my network from the PC and vice versa. I can drill down to some folders but whenever I try to view files in any of these folders I get...
  3. Windows 10 Home Network

Windows 10 Home Network: I have 4 PCs on my home network. Currently one PC is not discoverable by the other PCs. It also is unable to see the other PCs. Network configuration is the same on all PCs....
  4. Home network on Windows 10

Home network on Windows 10: I cannot access my home network from my laptop. It cannot see my desktop and associated drives, most of the time. Though for no apparent reason the network will include the desktop perhaps for a week or more and then it will disappear for weeks or longer. The network is set...
  5. Windows 10 Home Network

Windows 10 Home Network: I have two computers HP Desktop and HP Laptop on my wifi network. I want to move files from the desktop to the laptop. My desktop can see the laptop but the laptop can't see the desktop. I really want to pull the files from the desktop to the laptop using the laptop. Would...
  6. Windows 10 home network.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 home network.: For years I have used a home network which was set up under windows 10. I have one computer which stores all the data and several that can access the "server" and use the data. Late 2019 I started to loose access to the public directory on the server computer from the other...
  7. Windows 10 home network

Windows 10 home network: Searched Microsoft support but cannot find an answer. I have 2 Windows 10 (build 1809) computers connected over a wifi network. Computer B can read all shared files on Computer A. On Computer B, the operating systems are on SSD C:/ while all user data are on a different...
  8. Home Networking on Windows 10

Home Networking on Windows 10: I have 2 PCs running the latest version of Win 10. Both are connected to the same router - 1 via ethernet & 1 via WiFi. I can get the PCs to see each other ib Network, but I can't seem to access files on 1 PC from the other & vise versa. There's no more Win 10 Homegroups....
  9. Networking Windows 10 and Windows 7

Networking Windows 10 and Windows 7: How do I configure my computers so that I can fileshare between the across my wireless network? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/networking-windows-10-and-windows-7/05e25af5-a543-4547-956e-3451531d62d4
  10. Home network in windows 10

Home network in windows 10: Until recently I could access the folders on my home network. After the announcement that Workgroup is not supported acess still worked. Now I can only see media files even though both the C drives and documents are supposed to be shared. How can I overcome this?...