Windows 10: Networking woes again !!!!

Discus and support Networking woes again !!!! in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there Why can't Windows Networking just be like Linux - nice GUI to configure SAMBA (or even use S.W.A.T), click on shares and it's done and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Oct 7, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Networking woes again !!!!

Hi there

Why can't Windows Networking just be like Linux - nice GUI to configure SAMBA (or even use S.W.A.T), click on shares and it's done and works every time !!!!.

Strange scenario now with HYPER-V

HOST OS (W10) can access REAL W8.1 machine, and W10 VM running on HYPER-V.

VIRTUAL VM W10 on HYPER-V can access REAL W8.1 Machine but NOT HOST W10 REAL machine (???!!!)

W8.1 REAL machine can access VIRTUAL W10 machine but again not W10 HOST machine (???!!!)

All on same LAN - both W8.1 and the W10's are x-64 Enterprise version.

Something certainly screwed up -- I did two COMPLETE FRESH installs from the ISO.

(Strange situation where the VM can be accessed but NOT the HOST).

My Virtual NIC switch is OK .

HOST and VM (both W10) can access Internet.

I think I'll give this up -- C'mon Ms why not grab those folks at Red Hat or Novell to sort your Windows networking code -- their stuff seems to work straight out of the box).

My main problem with Windows networking (apart from the major fact it doesn't work) is that it's ALWAYS unpredictable -- each boot up or install you can never be sure if it's still going to work !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 7, 2014

2. Location Woes Again

I can confirm this...it has not been able to locate my phone for at least 3

weeks now. GPS is turned on, and I've made no changes to the phone.

Bob

CaptainVideo, Oct 7, 2014
  3. Location Woes Again

I posted several weeks ago about a problem with MyPhone and the location system where it would fail to properly located my phone. The problem lasted several weeks. Jack was kind enough to help me by forwarding the issue to the Microsoft team. Few days after,
    everything was working fine - even better than before since the location precision went from 1.6 kilometer to about 20 meters.

Now, the location is failing again. It has not been working for at least 3 weeks. And again, my hardware/software combination did not change.

Can someone explain to me what is the problem?

How can it work for months and then fail again several weeks?

TheCyberKnight, Oct 7, 2014
  4. Kari Win User

Jimbo, to clarify, is this correct:

• Three machines, a w10 rig, a w8 rig and a w10 vm on w8 rig
    • w10 rig can access both w8 rig and w10 vm on it
    • w10 vm can access its host (w8 rig) but not w10 rig
    • w8 rig can access its guest w10 vm but not the w10 rig

Kari, Oct 7, 2014
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

That's correct -- W10 install from NEW on both W10 rig and W10 VM.

TWO physical machines - W8 and W10 - VM is on W10 rig.

(Also posted in another thread - on RDP Windows installer won't let me install programs - that could be a bit of a pain in the you know where if you logon to the HOST machine and then do it through the HYPER-V console.).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 7, 2014
  6. Kari Win User
    OK, so I got that vm wrong, it's on w10 rig not on w8.

I will create this setup and test, will be back although it might take some time.

Kari, Oct 7, 2014
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

Thanks Kari

We'll eventually get it all worked out and fixed -- on the whole I think Ms have given us a reasonably good preview to play with -- some frustrations - but it IS probably even pre-alpha software so Ms did have some courage to let this out of the door.

Some people are even using it as their Main OS !! but I wouldn't do that at this stage.

I notice that with an INTEL PRO NIC (The decent one !!) the networking seems to be a bit more user friendly - I'm setting up the W10 rig (Host) on an INTEL machine instead of the ASUS Mobo with AMD CPU and gigabyte NIC that I've been using. AMD based computers always give me more grief - but this was an older spare machine --I'll probably keep it for an XP dedicated legacy machine !!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 7, 2014
  8. Kari Win User

I'm "some people" *Smile. Win10 TechPreview as main (only) OS on my main desktop and laptop, and on a spare HP ProBook laptop I mainly use for testing.

Kari, Oct 7, 2014
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

a local school some time ago threw out 7 desktops -- I offered to take them to the dump -- of course I kept them !! -- I cannabalized 3 of them which I use as testing rigs -- 3 X 16GB RAM and a shedload of HDD's. The 7 were all "Not working" originally - but removing some memory sticks and swapping around HDD's I got 3 working again. Nice FREE testing gear.

Some people have more money than sense. !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 7, 2014
  10. jimbo the local school has your money. It's called taxes.

Your lucky to fall into such a gift.
    If the local school would of paid somebody to do what you did to get some system running it would of cost more than getting new desktop in labor charges alone.

Free testing computers and spare parts. I'm envious.
    I live across the street from a school. I'm thinking I might do some trolling across the street and offer some help.

Layback Bear, Oct 8, 2014
  11. badrobot Win User
    Hey Jimbo, I got 3 real machines and 2 virtuals (VMWare and Hyper-V). Not a single issue on network sharing. All 3 real machines see the 2 virtuals and the 2 virtual see the 3 real machines and tested file sharing across network including NAS. Everything is "A" okay... *Smile

Networking woes again !!!! [​IMG]

Thank you @Kari for the step by step tutorial. This is my first time to use Hyper-V. I installed Win 7 Home Premium. However, Legacy Network Adapter did not work. I have to use the first method for Win 7 Ultimate and I got network connection right away. Thank you very much!

Cheers!

badrobot, Oct 8, 2014
  12. Kari Win User
    Funny, my test earlier tonight made me edit the tut *Smile. Until a few hours ago it told to select the legacy adapter only for Vista SP1 or earlier, and normal for Vista SP 2 and later (that's the way I have learned it). Then I tested with Seven Home Premium and could only connect it with legacy adapter which then made me to edit the tutorial!

The test I mentioned:

13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

@Bad robot

Did you try on a REAL W10 machine connecting a W10 VM on VMWARE 10 - Did you get ANY networking to work (I couldn't get ANYTHING in VMWARE when using a W10 HOST - no NAT / NO Bridged -- the adapters would not start ).

I couldn't get any LINUX server either to connect to ANY W10 machine (real or Virtual) but the W10 machine COULD access the LINUX shares so not a complete disaster. The Linux machines could SEE the W10 machine and came back with the user name and password screen but then timed out.

A Virtual W8.1 Machine running on Linux (using VMware) COULD access W10 though !!!

I think this might be something to do with "Certificates" -- is there a way of disabling that whole kybosh. I'm running the ENTERPRISE version so it might be an added layer of built in security.

However entering the full SMB address //jim@192.168.1.111 (address of the W10 VM) from a Linux server DOES give access so DNS too is hosed up somewhere along the line -- pinging greyfox (name of the remote W10 machine) returns different IP address to the actual address.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 8, 2014
  14. badrobot Win User
    I don't have VMware installed on Win 10 real machine but this Win 10 real machine and the Win 10 virtual machine (VM on Win 8 host) and see and share file with each other.

I haven't tried on Linux yet so I can't comment.

@Kari, the Win 7 Home Premium on Hyper-V had an erratic network connection last night (it disconnects itself). So this is the network configuration right now and so far I'm not having any issues:

badrobot, Oct 9, 2014
  15. Once I set my DNS server to the IP address of my friend's Linux PC (it has a local DNS server) I could connect my W10TP VM to my host PC and my friend's PC without any issues.

Note:
    I'm running W10TP on the Linux version of VMware Player (on Linux Mint 17).

Playing a video via the network:

I love the new "Window Snap" options. *Biggrin

lehnerus2000, Oct 9, 2014
Thema:

1. Networking woes again !!!! - Similar Threads - Networking woes again

2. Troubleshoot network again and again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Troubleshoot network again and again: Whenever I need an internet connection badly, WiFi gets disconnected automatically, and when I check available wifi, it shows none!! So, I mostly troubleshoot the network and get connected, but after 10 mins, the same thing gets repeated. I googled this issue I face, but most...
  3. Troubleshoot network again and again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Troubleshoot network again and again: Whenever I need an internet connection badly, WiFi gets disconnected automatically, and when I check available wifi, it shows none!! So, I mostly troubleshoot the network and get connected, but after 10 mins, the same thing gets repeated. I googled this issue I face, but most...
  4. Troubleshoot network again and again

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Win10 and win7 network woes

Win10 and win7 network woes: Hi, I have 3 pc's in a network, 2 are running windows 10 and 1 is running windows7 When I had just 2 connected win10 and win 7 both could see each other and exchange files without issue. Occasionally however the win7 machine would struggle to see the win10 machine....
  6. "Can't Connect To This Network" - Desktop WiFi Woes

"Can't Connect To This Network" - Desktop WiFi Woes: This problem has been plaguing me for about a month now. My home's wireless network works just fine - my laptop has no problems connecting to it, neither does my phone, the TV, the Amazon Firestick, my dad's PC out in the garage, my mom's laptop, and until about 6 weeks ago,...
  7. Network disconnection again and again.

Network disconnection again and again.: Hi! Vansh here. I need a bit of help. My PC, since it has come from physical repair (Windows 10 was also reinstalled from the backup point, by the way), has been facing a lot of connectivity issues, as soon as I connect to the internet, it disconnects. If I try connecting to...
  8. WordPad Woes...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WordPad Woes...: Hello. I've been having issues w/ Windows WordPad for quite some time (yrs.), but am just getting around to seeking help for lack of importance. It's important now as I'm using it primarily for cut & paste as church historian. My Issue: all of the text shows on the PC screen...
  9. Networking woes again (W10)

Networking woes again (W10): Hi there Networking connectivity seems to get broken every so often -- I have shares on two W10 machines (Local accounts) that connect just fine. If I come back to the computer say 45 mins later I get the computers can see each other but cannot connect to the shares ---...
  10. Windows 10 networking woes once again...

Windows 10 networking woes once again...: For the past few days or so I've been trying to troubleshoot a problem with LAN connectivity between two PCs: my laptop (ThinkPad T450s) and my self-built desktop. Both computers are running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, build 10586. Initially my problem was the infamous "one or...