Windows 10: Never using battery power in a laptop

Discus and support Never using battery power in a laptop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a brand new laptop and I run it on mains power all the time (constantly plugged in) does this degrade the battery in any way as I have no way of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ICIT2LOL, Sep 27, 2020.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

Never using battery power in a laptop

I have a brand new laptop and I run it on mains power all the time (constantly plugged in) does this degrade the battery in any way as I have no way of taking the battery out because it is housed inside the machine.
    I have Googled this and have a number of different thoughts on the matter so any thoughts on what I should do ie occasionally use it on battery power?

Am asking because it was quite expensive to buy this device - an Asus X721A Vivo notebook.

:)

ICIT2LOL, Sep 27, 2020

2. laptop battery wont charge after latest update

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s okay if you only have 1).

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

FreeBooter, Sep 27, 2020
  3. Battery Won't Charge Fully

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Never using battery power in a laptop pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, Sep 27, 2020
  4. Never using battery power in a laptop

Plugged in but battery does not charge

If the laptop works without the battery then charger is functioning correctly. Take a cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol on it (or some on-the-go alcohol swabs), and clean the metal contacts that connect your battery to your laptop.

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

4. Power on the laptop

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Never using battery power in a laptop pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, Sep 27, 2020
Thema:

Never using battery power in a laptop

1. Never using battery power in a laptop - Similar Threads - Never using battery

2. My laptop is slow on battery power

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop is slow on battery power: For example, when I'm playing games or just watching something when it's plugged in it works fine but when it's on battery power it turns super slow. I have tried various methods such as updating my device, turning off the power saver, and various other methods but they don't...
  3. My laptop is slow on battery power

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop is slow on battery power: For example, when I'm playing games or just watching something when it's plugged in it works fine but when it's on battery power it turns super slow. I have tried various methods such as updating my device, turning off the power saver, and various other methods but they don't...
  4. my battery is dead and i use my laptop on ac power battery % is 0 and it never fills up and...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my battery is dead and i use my laptop on ac power battery % is 0 and it never fills up and...: I have a hp notebook da 1058tu laptop its battery is dead it never charges up the windows update asks for 40% battery. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-battery-is-dead-and-i-use-my-laptop-on-ac-power/cb183f9e-38c0-43af-a19e-b3c87270ee82
  5. my battery is dead and i use my laptop on ac power battery % is 0 and it never fills up and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my battery is dead and i use my laptop on ac power battery % is 0 and it never fills up and...: I have a hp notebook da 1058tu laptop its battery is dead it never charges up the windows update asks for 40% battery. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-battery-is-dead-and-i-use-my-laptop-on-ac-power/cb183f9e-38c0-43af-a19e-b3c87270ee82
  6. my battery is dead and i use my laptop on ac power battery % is 0 and it never fills up and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Battery and Power Question for laptops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Battery and Power Question for laptops: If I were to set the "when I close the lid" setting to do nothing, but set the "Hibernate after this amount of time" to 10 min. Will the computer hibernate after the 10 min if I shut the lid? Or will it continue to run? Basically I want to be able to shut the lid but if I...
  8. Laptop is using battery power even when it is plugged in and fully charged.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop is using battery power even when it is plugged in and fully charged.: Hi guys, couple of months ago i bought a new gaming laptop that have a GTX1050 4gb graphic. But now a days I noticed that when i play heavy games like GTA V, Far cry 5, Resident evil 3 etc. my laptop is using battery power even I plugged in. When i do less power demanding...
  9. Laptop crashes on battery power

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop crashes on battery power: I have Windows 10 running on my laptop. After a recent update the battery life icon vanished. I followed the instructions in the settings to switch it back on but now the laptop crashes without warning. It acts like the battery is dead but it is a months old battery and it...
  10. Laptop Battery, Does It Hurt the Battery to Use External AC Power?

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop Battery, Does It Hurt the Battery to Use External AC Power?: I haven't used my laptop much yet, only a little bit to set up some bookmarks, wallpaper, etc. Every time I use it, I plug it into the wall. I'm at home so it's not inconvenient, and I figured it would save on the battery life. Is it harmful to the battery to keep plugging...