Windows 10: New BitLocker Encryption Settings in version 1511?

Discus and support New BitLocker Encryption Settings in version 1511? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I have Win 10 Pro and I set the Encryption method in Group Policy as being XTS-AES 256 instead of the default XTS-AES 128. Is XTS-AES 256 more... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by win10freak, Mar 9, 2016.

1. New BitLocker Encryption Settings in version 1511?

Hi,

I have Win 10 Pro and I set the Encryption method in Group Policy as being XTS-AES 256 instead of the default XTS-AES 128. Is XTS-AES 256 more secure than XTS-AES 128?
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...(v=vs.85).aspx

:)

win10freak, Mar 9, 2016

2. Bit Locker

1. To set up BitLocker Drive Encryption, open the SEARCH (Windows Key + S, for example), type BitLocker, then click Manage BitLocker.

2. Select the drive that you want to encrypt, and click Turn on BitLocker.

3. Select how you want to unlock the drive.

4. Choose where you want to save the recovery key in case you forget your password.

5. Choose whether you want to encrypt the entire drive, or only the used space. If you encrypt only the used space, it will encrypt new data as added.

Start like this:

New BitLocker Encryption Settings in version 1511? [​IMG]

Shenan Stanley, Mar 9, 2016
  3. Srimadhwa B, Mar 9, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

New BitLocker Encryption Settings in version 1511?

Brink, Mar 9, 2016
  5. Hello Brink,

Yes, I had read your posting on that. And we thank you very much for it for posting that.

My question being, is XTS-AES 256 more secure than XTS-AES 128?

And what Encryption Method do you use when using BitLocker on OS drives?

win10freak, Mar 9, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    XTS-AES 256 uses 256-bit encryption vs 128-bit encryption with XTS-AES 128. 256 is more secure. *Wink

I use XTS-AES 256 whenever I encrypt with BitLocker.

Brink, Mar 9, 2016
  7. ARC1020 Win User
    As Brink said, AES-256 is stronger than AES-128.

I think the idea of AES-256 being weaker than AES-128 stemmed from an article Bruce Schneier once published regarding a NIST paper. The main part being AES-128 attacks would require 2128 time to break it, whereas the paper was showing attacks against AES-256 requiring only 2119 time to break it, hence the alarm. However the article itself also said that the attacks were non-practical, and also they weren't based on full 14-round AES-256, but crippled 9,10 and 11 round AES-256. In short, it was a theoretical non-practical paper exploring ideas rather than attacking real world AES-256 encrypted data. So despite the speculation, AES-256 is stronger than AES-128.

The obvious question then is why use AES-128 when you can use the stronger AES-256. The advantage to using AES-128 is mainly for performance reasons (although any performance differences won't be noticeable to the user). When data is read and written to disk it's encrypted/decrypted on the fly and therefore AES-128 is faster and takes less processing power than AES-256. However, now-a-days most CPU's have AES-NI instructions built into the CPU specifically to make encrypting/decrypting as fast and efficient as possible. On top of that AES-XTS increases performance even further compared to AES-CBC.

The reason for AES-256 on the other hand, is not because AES-128 is insecure because that is not the case, AES-128 is unbreakable now and for the foreseeable future. However, the NSA for example recommended that all 'Top Secret' data was encrypted with AES-256 for future proofing reasons. Data isn't just classified for this year, but for many years to come and in many years to come that could include protecting the data against quantum computing or other technological advancements. From a OS makers point of view though, as AES-128 is secure enough that AES-256 isn't required, there's been little point making AES-256 the default setting.

ARC1020, Mar 10, 2016
  8. New BitLocker Encryption Settings in version 1511?

I was wondering as to why MS or other OS makers user AES 128 by default.
    You answered my question. And thanks!

And to meet FIPS 140-2 compliance , need to use AES 256 as well.

win10freak, Mar 10, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    AES 256 could have more of an impact on performance if the PC is not very powerful, but I agree it should be the default instead.

Brink, Mar 10, 2016
  10. Yes, why not go for more security if there is a choice for it.
    The noticeable slowdown of my system is during the encryption process, but after that, no performance issues.

win10freak, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

New BitLocker Encryption Settings in version 1511?

1. New BitLocker Encryption Settings in version 1511? - Similar Threads - BitLocker Encryption Settings

2. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker encryption: Hello, ive been locked out of my windows account, since i need my old security old email. Which i no longer have acces to, ive contacted microsoft, and they gave me 2 options. Wait 30 days to update security mail and i dont know if they even will do it or clean install which...
  3. Bitlocker encryption on this drive isn't compatible with the version

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker encryption on this drive isn't compatible with the version: from two days ago, my computer did an update after the restart i found many files do not open inside the encrypted partition by Bitlloker ... I opened it from another PC and the same thing some files openeing some files does not openI turned off the partation encryption ,...
  4. Bitlocker encryption

Bitlocker encryption: Hi, I'm unable to encrypt some of my disks with bitlocker. I have been able to encrypt two SSDs and a single hard drive but the other two hard drives I have simply do not show up in the BitLocker Drive Encryption GUI.One of the disks I have issues with is a 1tb WD black disk...
  5. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker encryption: Hi, I'm unable to encrypt some of my disks with bitlocker. I have been able to encrypt two SSDs and a single hard drive but the other two hard drives I have simply do not show up in the BitLocker Drive Encryption GUI.One of the disks I have issues with is a 1tb WD black disk...
  6. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bitlocker encryption: Hi Everyone,I am trying to change the bitlocker encryption method to AES 256, And i am trying to find the right command that i can execute from command prompt to change this.Could someone suggest on this?RegardsKevin...
  7. BitLocker encryption

BitLocker encryption: I have a secondary user who has access from another to my OneDrive files. I want to keep it that way. What effect does turning on BitLocker encryption have on their ability to access my OneDrive files?...
  8. Bitlocker Encryption

Bitlocker Encryption: I support a remote laptop at a site I have never been to. I have been assured that the laptop is left only in a secured room and used by two trustworthy people. The following problem has happened twice in the last year. I was informed the bitlocker PIN has stopped working...
  9. Bitlocker encryption not compatible with this version of windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker encryption not compatible with this version of windows: Hi, I am having a problem with my USB drive that I decided to protect with Bitlocker. The encryption was successful from 0 to 100%. Right after 2 minutes of completion of my encryption, when I tried to open my USB drive it says "BitLocker encryption not compatible with your...
  10. Bitlocker hardware encryption cannot be activated on Win10 10586/1511

Bitlocker hardware encryption cannot be activated on Win10 10586/1511: Hey, I'm having an issue with enabling hardware encryption with Bitlocker using Windows 10 build 10586 on a clean install with a Samsung 850 SSD. The encryption worked flawlessly before. I've spent hours and attempted multiple solutions and made several tests. On...
Tags: