Windows 10: New Build: Hard Drives from old computer aren't recognized

Discus and support New Build: Hard Drives from old computer aren't recognized in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, I just finished a new build and when i tried to move 2 data drives over to the build, my computer doesn't see them. One is a WE Black 2 TB and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mdieckmeyer, Feb 24, 2020.

1. New Build: Hard Drives from old computer aren't recognized

Hi all,

I just finished a new build and when i tried to move 2 data drives over to the build, my computer doesn't see them. One is a WE Black 2 TB and the other is an older Seagate Barracuda 500 gb. Both worked in the other computer, which I'm still using as an office machine. I have a Samsung M.2 installed and it's taking up SATA #2 slot.

Thanks in advance.

:)

mdieckmeyer, Feb 24, 2020
  2. xarzu Win User

new system old hard drive...

I have an old hard drive that has those old ribbon connections to transfer data to the mother board.

I have a new computer that mostly uses those cool little ATA (I think that is what they are called) connections.

The new computer has a Vista OS.

I opened up the case and I was supprised to see on the motherboard a wide ribbon connection and so I connected the old hard drive and a free power connection.

When I turned on the computer, the system started up like usual and did not notice the new hard drive.

I went to the Control Pannel and did an automatic add hard drive call and it did not find the old hard drive.

Any suggestions?

xarzu, Feb 24, 2020
  3. sygnus21 Win User
    New Build: Hard Drives from old computer aren't recognized

Are you sure the slot the m.2 drive is in isn't disabling the SATA ports those HDD drives are in?

New Build: Hard Drives from old computer aren't recognized [​IMG]

Your owner's manual should have a matrix like that above showing which SATA or PCIE ports are affected by placement of m.2 drive.

sygnus21, Feb 24, 2020
  4. GlynParry Win User

Old Hard drive to new hard drive

I now have my old hard drive converted to an external drive and am wondering what is the best way to move files from the old to the new. I was thinking of booting the old drive and saving the files I want to the cloud and then downloading them to my new
    computer. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

GlynParry, Feb 24, 2020
Thema:

1. New Build: Hard Drives from old computer aren't recognized - Similar Threads - Build Hard Drives

2. Old Master Hard drive into your New Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old Master Hard drive into your New Computer: What if , You put in a Old Master Hard drive into your New Computer ,That Both Computers. The Old Computer which you have taking the hard drive from, both have Asus mother board's both are running Window's 10 an the same edition ,also they both have the same user , an...
  3. old hard drive and a new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    old hard drive and a new computer: I have what I think is a basic question, but I'm not sure. I just bought a new computer. It has not yet arrived. When it does, I want to put my old SSD into the new computer because it has my programs, files, etc. My issue is that the old SSD has Windows 10 installed on...
  4. Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive: Hello, My laptop recently broke that was running Windows 7. I bought a new laptop that is running Windows 10. Since my old laptop would not start, I bought a hard drive enclosure so I could move everything off my old hard drive onto my new one. I am confused with exactly...
  5. New Build: Hard Drives from old computer aren't recognized

in Windows 10 Support
    New Build: Hard Drives from old computer aren't recognized: Hi all, I just finished a new build and when i tried to move 2 data drives over to the build, my computer doesn't see them. One is a WE Black 2 TB and the other is an older Seagate Barracuda 500 gb. Both worked in the other computer, which I'm still using as an office...
  6. Old Hard Drive, New Computer Help!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Old Hard Drive, New Computer Help!: I have taken an older HDD from a previous computer. I am not sure if it was a boot drive in the older computer or not. I don’t need to keep anything on it. I just need the extra storage in my new computer. When i am in file explorer looking at it. It says it only has a 98.9...
  7. New computer build. 2nd hard drive not recognized by win 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    New computer build. 2nd hard drive not recognized by win 10: My motherboard bios recognizes the second drive and device manager shows the drive. File manager does not. Disk Management does not show the drive. The drive is a Western Digital drive. Their Lifeguard program says the drive is working properly. It is a new drive. Presumably...
  8. installing old hard drive in new computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    installing old hard drive in new computer: I have an old hard dive from a laptop that was driven over in traffic. I bought a hard drive less exact replacement computer. I put the old drive in and it all works but now have an unlicensed copy of windows 10 pro....
  9. Old USB hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Old USB hard drive not recognized: Hello, I have an old USB hard drive that is not recognized after using Windows 10. It says Unknown USB Device (Invalid Configuration Descriptor). I have tried updating the driver automatically but it says that it is already the most updated driver (driver provider...
  10. Can I install an old hard drive from an old computer on a new computer?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I install an old hard drive from an old computer on a new computer?: I have a 640 GB HDD from my old computer and would like to know if I can install it on my new desktop without issues. The connections match but not sure if the new computer will try and booth-up from the old hard drive. the new computer is running Window 10. Can anyone let...