Windows 10: New Build PC - Clean Install Windows 10 on unactivated PC

Discus and support New Build PC - Clean Install Windows 10 on unactivated PC in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am building a new PC from scratch and I have a Retail DVD of Windows 8.1 Pro that is currently not installed on anything. I had bought this DVD right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by IsaacFL, May 29, 2016.

1. IsaacFL Win User

New Build PC - Clean Install Windows 10 on unactivated PC

I am building a new PC from scratch and I have a Retail DVD of Windows 8.1 Pro that is currently not installed on anything. I had bought this DVD right after 8.1 came out, and installed it on another PC that had Windows 7 previously, but then reverted back to Windows 7. So not used for a few years.

Can I install Windows 10 Pro directly without installing and activating the Windows 8.1 Pro? I am hoping I will be able to use the Key from my Windows 8.1 Pro.

The tutorial talks about "activated" PC's. This PC will not have been activated previously.

:)

IsaacFL, May 29, 2016

2. After ISO 10 Upgrade - New PC build clean install question not answered

I've read my tail off but haven't found this question answered yet.

I rebuild my own PC replacing mother board, processor, video, etc and must perform a clean SW install with drivers specific to the new configuration, etc.

My current running PC (W7 Ultimate) qualifies and W10 has been approved and reserved for this PC. I understand that the W10 creates a KEY based on the PC (not any HD's), so when I rebuild by upgrading all the key components (Mother board, processor, video,
    etc) it sounds like a clean install will fail. I haven't found the answer that I'll be able to use an ISO to perform a clean install on a PC with upgraded components (not the HD I found that one) after I've properly upgraded my existing PC with aging components.

If the answer is that I can't then if I purchase the W10 will I be able to continue upgrading my PC components and continue doing clean installs for each replacement PC build?

Of course if not I'll run W7 Ultimate into the ground before I ever upgrade. It works and it doesn't need an upgrade. So MS, what say you? - thank you in advance

(note - community, please allow MS to respond. I see a lot of well intended answers/responses that are too often wrong or misinformed. Please allow them to answer alone - thank you gang!)

jgdorado2000, May 29, 2016
  3. After ISO 10 Upgrade - New PC build clean install question not answered

Andre - YOU ROCK. This a great answer and if you already presented it elsewhere, I'm sorry but I wasn't able to find it.

I have a few properly licensed PC's and laptops (3-pcs, 2 laptops). The PC's started as stand alone XP then upgraded (to w7 ultimate) and several PC rebuilds . The laptops of course are OEM (I don't rebuild those). Although the W7 is an upgrade your response
    reads like the W10 will "stand alone" based on the XP, but there's no proof other than I actually still have the XP CD. The PC rebuilds have all been clean installs (not at first but as new rebuilds have occurred) ???? Do you think the W10 will see these as
    the stand-alones they actually are?

Andre - thank you in advance - you're quite the asset for Microsoft.

jgdorado2000, May 29, 2016
  4. Kyhi Win User

since it is a Retail version - the product key is transferable...

I would suggest installing windows 8.1 on that PC - and see if it will activate...

if it does not activate - disconnect from internet - and retry activation - and use the call in option..
    when asked how many PC it is activated on - the answer is 1....

after activated - run the windows 10 setup.exe from with the windows 8 OS to upgrade..

5. Phone Man Win User
    I have used a retail W8 key to install and activate W10 on a new system.
    Just enter the W8 key during the W10 install.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, May 29, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

too much unnecessary work --just do as @Phone Man says - simply install W10 and enter your W8 key.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 29, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    Yes and no - try clean install first and using old key to activate. HOWEVER sometimes it complains 8 key is in use on another pc. Then you have to install 8 any way, use telephone activation to transfer key to new pc, and use that to activate windows 10 installation.

As it has not been used for several years, it will probably activate without windows 8 key needing to be reactivated as above.

In event, you do need to reactivate windows 8 key on new pc, several ways to do this without having to reinstall windows 10 again a second time.

1) temporarily install as a dual boot option

2) install it on a spare hard drive (removing windows 10 hard drive temporarily)

3) install windows 8 on an external usb hard drive (or even 32GB+ flash drive in legacy bios mode) using www.easyuefi.com

Alternatively make backup image of windows 10 install and restore (not much advantage over installing windows 10 a second time though but may save time)

cereberus, May 29, 2016
  8. IsaacFL Win User

The new motherboard is supposed to arrive Wednesday so I'll see how it works.

This got me to thinking. I was planning to pull the SSD out of my old computer for the new one. I think what I will do is install the new computer on a spare hard drive first. Hopefully activate it with W10, or go through the W8.1 if needed, to finally get W10 activated. Then I will test it a few days to make sure the new computer is ok.

After I know I am ok, then I will pull the SSD out of the old computer, reinstall W10 on new computer and go from there with the new computer.

I assume once I have gotten W10 activated, if I pull out the hard drive and reinstall on the SSD, the activation will be ok.

IsaacFL, May 29, 2016
  9. Kyhi Win User
    you assume correctly...

10. IsaacFL Win User
    It worked as expected. Installed Win10 from USB, and activated with Win 8.1 key.

IsaacFL, May 31, 2016
  11. Phone Man Win User
    Thanks for letting us know.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. New Build PC - Clean Install Windows 10 on unactivated PC - Similar Threads - Build Clean Install

2. Clean install using Windows OEM in unactivated PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install using Windows OEM in unactivated PC?: I have an Acer laptop that is unactivated because of a bootlegged Windows install from 4 years ago. I would like to do a clean install using a Windows OEM but I'm unsure how to do this safely. I've only seen forums that say clean installs from previously activated PCs so I...
  3. Installing unactivated windows before building a PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing unactivated windows before building a PC: Hi, If Windows is installed in one computer and activated on another one, which motherboard gets linked to the license? The reason is, I'm bulding a gaming pc from scratch. I don't have the graphics card yet, but I'd like to start using it as the house server. Because the...
  4. installing Windows 10 on a new PC build

installing Windows 10 on a new PC build: I'm having trouble installing Windows 10 on my new PC build. I have re-prioritized the boot preferences to the USB key, and when I try to install the 64 bit installation it says loading files, but then it freezes on the blue window pane. Any help would be appreciated....
  5. new pc have unactivated windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    new pc have unactivated windows: I have a not activated pc i have windows installed everything running smoothly but i don't wanna spend 130 on a new windows download just to use the code is there a way to buy just a activation key from Microsoft. I have windows 10 home...
  6. Windows 10 wont install on new PC build

Windows 10 wont install on new PC build: Hi, i recently built a new pc with a msi b450m pro vdh max motherboard. When i try install windows 10 64bit from my usb to the pc it gives me a yellow/orange screen with white vertical lines but when i press enter it flickers between the windows logo and the orange screen,...
  7. New Win 10 PC - clean install?

in Windows 10 Support
    New Win 10 PC - clean install?: I just purchased a new Win10 desktop. Now, beeing a longtime Win 7 power user I have read numerous advices to do a "Clean re-install" of the OS to get rid of all the crap, bloatware and things I dont need. And f.ex customize privacy and telemetry etc. But I'm a little...
  8. Installing Windows 10 on a new PC build

Installing Windows 10 on a new PC build: I recently built a new gaming computer and I am trying to install windows 10, but I'm running into a number of issues. All these issues combined have prevented me for getting windows installed. Windows not finding my HDD (Western Digital Blue 1TB) - I was able to solve...
  9. Windows 10 install fails on new PC build

Windows 10 install fails on new PC build: Hello everyone. Im hoping someone has ideas on how to help me out. Im trying to install Windows 10 via usb. I’ve tried my purchased copy as well as a new copy that i created using Microsoft Media tool. Every time i set the usb to the top of the bios boot list and reboot it...
  10. Windows 10 clean install on new PC?

Windows 10 clean install on new PC?: I just got a brand new lenovo laptop with Windows 10 Pro, pre-installed at delivery. This is the first time I have considered a clean install to remove any unwanted bloatware or software. But after some research I can't tell if it is necessary? I have no data on this machine...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to reinstall windows on an unactivated pc

2. new build pc with no windows

3. new build and windows install onm.2