Windows 10: New Build - Two SSDs - System Reserved vs Recovery Partition

Discus and support New Build - Two SSDs - System Reserved vs Recovery Partition in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Setting up new build with two SSDs. 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO m.2 is supposed to be for OS and programs. 1TB Crucial is supposed to be for file storage.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JonathonAllison, Dec 31, 2018.

1. New Build - Two SSDs - System Reserved vs Recovery Partition

Setting up new build with two SSDs. 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO m.2 is supposed to be for OS and programs. 1TB Crucial is supposed to be for file storage. After noticing the System Reserved on the 1TB drive, I disconnected the SSD and installed Windows with only the 500 GB attached. After completing all updates and installing Microsoft Office, I reconnected the 1TB drive and still see what is shown below.

First and foremost, I wanted to know the difference between the System Reserved and the Recovery Partition. I would have expected to see the System Reserved to show up on the 500 GB drive after the re-install with only that drive connected.

I've been told I may need to wipe both drives and start over, but I'm unsure the best way to do it and I don't want to harm the brand new SSDs. I'm also wondering if it's even necessary considering I already went through the process of installing Windows and Office with only the 500 GB drive connected.

I am completely new to this and trying to learn, so any length of detail you could provide in your suggestions would be appreciated.

New Build - Two SSDs - System Reserved vs Recovery Partition a975a87e-b2ec-4fca-ae46-aa479a8e90b8?upload=true.png

:)

JonathonAllison, Dec 31, 2018

2. How to completely reformat a disk with reserved partitions

I upgraded to win 10 on a new SSD, everything is working fine and I have copied the data I need from the old disk (its now drive ENew Build - Two SSDs - System Reserved vs Recovery Partition :)

E: has a D: partition - the old system reserved, no longer needed. E: also has a recovery partition which has no label.

I want to remove the 2 reserved partitions and combine them back into E: - and then reformat E:

Is there a simple list of steps to do this please?

Thanks

AlanSmith777, Dec 31, 2018
  3. If Recovery partition the same as System Reserved?

My former installation of Windows 7 had system reserved on a secondary hard drive (I created this partition).

I have now upgraded to Windows 10.

I notice that on the main drive (C) there is a partition named (Healthy) Recovery Partition.

Is this a new term for System Reserved?

What I'd like to know is does the old System Reserved relate only to Windows 7 and can it be safely deleted.

JamesBogie, Dec 31, 2018
  4. Frcraig Win User

New Build - Two SSDs - System Reserved vs Recovery Partition

Two System Reserve Partitions

I have two hard drives on my computer, an SSD with my operating system (Windows 8.1 which I just successfully upgraded to Windows 10) and an hdd for additional storage. After upgrading to Windows 10 I noticed that I now have two System Reserve Partitions.
    One partition is on the SSD and the other is on the hdd. Both contain bootmgr and similar files. The files on the hdd have newer file modified/created dates than those on the ssd System Reserve partition. If I set my BIOS to boot from the SSD I get the
    blue screen message "no bcd found". If I set the BIOS to boot from the hdd it takes over a minute, but Windows 10 boots fine.

I'm guessing that the System Reserve partition on the hdd (storage hard drive) contains the boot files for Windows 10, but Windows 10 is not installed on that drive, it is installed on the SSD (which I think has the old Windows 8.1 boot files on its own
    System Reserve partition).

I've given the two System Reserve partitions drive letters so that I can see the contents of the drives. Can I simply copy the contents of the newer System Reserve partition onto the older System Reserve partition so that Windows 10 will boot from the same
    SSD that it is installed on?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Craig

Frcraig, Dec 31, 2018
Thema:

New Build - Two SSDs - System Reserved vs Recovery Partition

1. New Build - Two SSDs - System Reserved vs Recovery Partition - Similar Threads - Build SSDs System

2. Remove Old SSD System Reserved and Recovery Partitions to New SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove Old SSD System Reserved and Recovery Partitions to New SSD: Hello,I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 onto a new m.2 SSD and I noticed that my System Reserved and Recovery partitions were still present and active on my old boot SSD Disk 1. I wasn't able to delete them through Disk Management or through an elevated powershell,...
  3. System reserved partition only 50 mb and no recovery partition?

System reserved partition only 50 mb and no recovery partition?: I did a fresh install of windows 10 2004. The when I viewed my partitioning system using EaseUs Partition Master, it only showed me system reserved partition50 mb, then another driveletter: E, then C drive, then the rest of the unallocated space in the that same order. Then I...
  4. Two System Reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Two System Reserved Partition: I had dual boot in my laptop for windows 10 + ubuntu. I deleted the ubuntu part. But after that, I haveTWO system reserved memory in my SSD mine is a hybrid system with 256 SSD+1TB HDD. I don't know if I should delete one of the reserved partition or not. If yes, then guide...
  5. System Reserved Partition

System Reserved Partition: Hello, I did some storage upgrade on my system by adding an M.2 NVME 1TB SSD drive and cloned my old drive that has windows 10 operating system. I now have two systems reserved partition on both the old and newly installed drive. The system reserved section limits my...
  6. Recovery and EFI partition instead of System Reserved partition

Recovery and EFI partition instead of System Reserved partition: I forced reinstalled my windows 10 after my boot got corrupted by deleting linux on dual boot. Now I used diskpart to wipe my SSD before I began installation. When the Win10 installation is finished. I noticed that I have Recovery and EFI Partitions on Disk management. I'm...
  7. Recovery Partition vs System Reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recovery Partition vs System Reserved Partition: I built a WIN 10 (home version) desktop a few months back with a single SSD as its C Drive. It all works fine. Today I went to clone that drive using Samsung Data Migration. Disk Management shows that my originating SSD has both a healthy, primary bootable (main) partition...
  8. Recovery Partition vs System Reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery Partition vs System Reserved Partition: I built a WIN 10 (home version) desktop a few months back with a single SSD as its C Drive. It all works fine. Today I went to clone that drive using Samsung Data Migration. Disk Management shows that my originating SSD has both a healthy, primary bootable (main) partition...
  9. Recovery Partitions/System Reserved Partitions

Recovery Partitions/System Reserved Partitions: I have Windows 10 Home Version 1803 installed in my pc. Windows is installed on Disk 5. Disk 5 contains my C drive and D partition that I created after Windows was installed. It also contains a partition named System Reserved which Windows created when I installed Windows...
  10. Legacy Bios and System Reserved Partition. Two scenarios...

Legacy Bios and System Reserved Partition. Two scenarios...: I'm a little unsure on this and so I'll ask... I understand what the system reserved partition does, and how the system reserved partition gets created when you clean install onto an unallocated HDD/SSD. Question. If at some future point Windows is reinstalled (and a...