Windows 10: New build will not stay off

Discus and support New build will not stay off in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Everything shuts off and I mean everything fans,lights,LEDs but for about one second then it restarts. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by munk1955, Feb 24, 2018.

1. munk1955 Win User

New build will not stay off

Everything shuts off and I mean everything fans,lights,LEDs but for about one second then it restarts.

munk1955, Feb 25, 2018

2. Interesting. Power cycle resets are fairly uncommon and have a limited number of causes. I'll have to dig around to see if there's some way to get the cause.

PolarNettles, Feb 26, 2018
  3. Hi,
    Have you tried to clear cmos if the board has jumpers for that if not remove the mother board battery for a while after hard shut down by simply unplugging from wall :/

ThrashZone, Feb 26, 2018
  4. New build will not stay off

Hi,
    Might double check all your front case connections make sure they are in the correct pin spots too *Smile

ThrashZone, Feb 26, 2018
  5. Unfortunately the 9-series chipsets don't expose any easy way to figure out what caused a reset.

Does this happen if you press the power button in UEFI/BIOS setup or shut down from a different OS (e.g. an Ubuntu live-USB)?

PolarNettles, Feb 26, 2018
  6. munk1955 Win User
    And we have a winner......I unplugged it from the wall then took out the CMOS Bat for about 1 minute then fired her up and sleep & shut down now work properly......It's amazing what people can accomplish when we put our knowledge together to solve a problem.

I have learned a little more about PC's over these last 5 days and want to thank all who have took the time to help me with my problem......A big thanks to all!

munk1955, Feb 26, 2018
  7. Hi,
    Your welcome thanks for the update *Thumbs
    Cheers.

ThrashZone, Feb 26, 2018
  8. munk1955 Win User

I was just about ready to call it quits this morning with this problem winning by TKO......But thanks to everybody keeping up the pressure by pushing me with all your new ideas we got it solved.

It must have been the CMOS that a lot of the things I did to the PC it wouldn't keep the settings and I had to continually go back and keep checking to see if they were checked/unchecked or not......That should have been my first clue as to the MOBO's CMOS bat as being the problem because the CMOS bat keeps the MOBO's settings.....Duh....Lol

munk1955, Feb 26, 2018
  9. Hi,
    Did you flash the bios to new after the build or are you on the original bios ?
    How many bios update or versions are there for this board ?

ThrashZone, Feb 26, 2018
  10. ThrashZone, Feb 26, 2018
  11. Steve C Win User
    I'd replace the CMOS battery also since a failing battery can cause issues like you experienced.

Steve C, Feb 26, 2018
  12. munk1955 Win User
    I'm on whatever version it came with out of the box and I'm not going to press my luck with doing anything to the UEFI right now because it is working great....Kinda like if its not broke don't fix it for the time being.

As far as replacing the battery I'm going to leave it also for now since it is a NIB MOBO......I wish those button type bats(CR2032) had expiration dates on them though it would be nice to know how old the bat really is.....And if the bat starts failing hopefully I will remember this experience.

munk1955, Feb 26, 2018
  13. Steve C Win User

The expiry date is irrelevant. Measure the open circuit voltage which should be 3.0-3.4V for a new/healthy battery. I would fit a new battery if below 2.9V.

Steve C, Feb 27, 2018
  14. Hi,
    Well you can use cpuid/ cpu-z to see most the info about your system easily or simply enter your bios and look *Tongue
    CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID

Removing the battery just resets the bios so you may have to correct the time and date in there anyway *Smile
    You can also Optimize defaults first too.
    I doubt the battery is bad they last a long time.

ThrashZone, Feb 27, 2018
  15. munk1955 Win User
    Good suggestions everybody.....I'll take another look at the bat voltage and any UEFI updates will have to be down the road.

I think its time to put this thread out to pasture......Thanks again everybody!

munk1955, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. New build will not stay off - Similar Threads - build stay off

2. Proxy server will not stay off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Proxy server will not stay off: I bought a gaming computer last year and it works super great, except for one thing that I've been noticing is a problem of late. My internet started to slow down a lot, and some Steam games will not open. I did some hunting around and found out there is apparently a proxy...
  3. Proxy server will not stay off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Proxy server will not stay off: I bought a gaming computer last year and it works super great, except for one thing that I've been noticing is a problem of late. My internet started to slow down a lot, and some Steam games will not open. I did some hunting around and found out there is apparently a proxy...
  4. Proxy server will not stay off

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Stay off my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stay off my computer: I have spent the past 2 weeks starting over and reinstalling windows from your 1903 update that basically caused my laptop to be unusable. I originally had every setting imaginable disabled followed your steps to disable updates yet still Microsoft Windows had to be pushy and...
  6. ON/OFF Button Won't Stay ON (??)

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ON/OFF Button Won't Stay ON (??): When going to Settings > Gaming and trying to turn the Game Bar button ON (from the right, OFF position), the button stubbornly goes right back to the OFF position (???). See attached screenshot. Anyone have any insight on this? VERY WEIRD! 147888
  7. Proxy won't stay off

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Proxy won't stay off: How to keep proxy off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/proxy-wont-stay-off/b3615d1f-2236-4558-916d-c43ed169e58d
  8. Real-time protection, turn off and stay off?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Real-time protection, turn off and stay off?: Hi How do I turn Real-Time Protection OFF so it will stay off, also after a reboot? Windows 10 Pro, version 1803, build 17134.228...
  9. Monitor Display Not Staying Off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor Display Not Staying Off: I have an x-box controller that I plug into my computer to play games, but ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, the display will not stay off. I did a clean install, erasing all of my programs and drivers. I've tried uninstalling the driver and rebooting the computer, I've...
  10. New build turning it's self off during gaming

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New build turning it's self off during gaming: I have a new Ryzen build that has consistently shut it's self off and refuses to turn on again unless the power is removed entirely for 20 seconds. I've replaced the Mother board, CPU, GPU, RAM and PSU and the problem continues. When I first built the machine it would turn...