Windows 10: New C Drive Users was created and is now the default. How do I change this?

Discus and support New C Drive Users was created and is now the default. How do I change this? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently had to fix a problem of black screen error. To fix it, I had to try multiple methods of fixing it. Somewhere along the way, the machine got... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by iancornejo, Oct 4, 2020.

1. New C Drive Users was created and is now the default. How do I change this?

I recently had to fix a problem of black screen error. To fix it, I had to try multiple methods of fixing it. Somewhere along the way, the machine got fixed, but my C drive created a new user. If my normal User is C/Users/Bob, then the added user is C/Users/Bob.LAPTOP. I don't mind this, but now that "Bob.LAPTOP" is the default user. All of my files are downloaded and installed there rather than just "Bob". It's really frustrating and all of my old files are still in the "BOB" user file. Is there a way to remove Bob.LAPTOP and revert the default to C/Users/Bob?

:)

iancornejo, Oct 4, 2020

2. New Account/User Issues

Hi,

When you create a new user account, Windows uses the Default user profile as a template to construct the files for the newly created user account. You might be experiencing issues creating new accounts due to a corrupt Default profile. To
    resolve the issue, we suggest reinstating the Default folder in the
    Users directory by following these steps:

• Open the C:\Users folder using Windows Explorer.
    • Rename the Default user profile folder to Default.OLD.
    • Download a zip of C:\Users\Default from a Windows 10 installation that doesn't have this problem.
    • Unzip the non-corrupt Default profile into C:\Users.
    • Try logging in to the new user account and check if the problem is resolved.

Let us know how it turns out.

Aileen Alf, Oct 4, 2020
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    create user fails windows 10

Geoff,

This is a shot in the dark.

Several people have been reporting different problems logging in to newly created user accounts.

• They just get a user profile service failed message instead of your symptoms.
    • Whilst their symptom is different, it occurs to me that the cause might be the same.
    • The common factor is that it affects newly-created user accounts that have never been successfully logged into.

So, I suggest having a look at my explanations in Cannot create a new user account that can be login.

In short -

1 Try copying the NTUSER.DAT file from the [hidden] C:\Users\Default folder of a computer that does not exhibit the problem.

2 Try copying the whole [hidden] C:\Users\Default folder group from a computer that does not exhibit the problem.

3 Try recreating the [hidden] C:\Users\Default folder group using Kapil Arya's linked article.

I have nothing other than a gut feeling to justify suggesting these steps,

Best of luck,

Denis

Tryx3, Oct 4, 2020
  4. Viswa_77 Win User

New C Drive Users was created and is now the default. How do I change this?

Changing default user

I recently updated my windows 10 to new version "Fall creators update" after i updated my laptop the default user folder in c:\user\ is changed .It created a new folder and it set it as a default folder for everything. But all my files are in another user
    folder. I cant start over all my works so please tell a way to change the folder in c:\user

Before UPDATE:

C:\Users\Lenovo

After UPDATE:

C:\Users\viswa.DESKTOP-6CR0TJI

Viswa_77, Oct 4, 2020
Thema:

New C Drive Users was created and is now the default. How do I change this?

1. New C Drive Users was created and is now the default. How do I change this? - Similar Threads - Drive Users was

2. How do I change the user folder name within the C: drive, i.e. "C:\Users\thoma"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change the user folder name within the C: drive, i.e. "C:\Users\thoma"?: I bought a new laptop a couple weeks ago. This is the first laptop I have purchased and set up on my own since my parents bought and set my laptop up before I went to college. As I was setting it up, I somehow made the user folder name "thoma" i.e. "C:\Users\thoma". I need to...
  3. How do I change the user folder name within the C: drive, i.e. "C:\Users\thoma"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the user folder name within the C: drive, i.e. "C:\Users\thoma"?: I bought a new laptop a couple weeks ago. This is the first laptop I have purchased and set up on my own since my parents bought and set my laptop up before I went to college. As I was setting it up, I somehow made the user folder name "thoma" i.e. "C:\Users\thoma". I need to...
  4. How Do I Change the Default "Optimized Folder For" When Creating a New Folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How Do I Change the Default "Optimized Folder For" When Creating a New Folder?: Whenever I use the context menu to create a "New folder" on my desktop New > Folder, the folder is always optimized when created for "Videos" New Folder > Properties > Customize > What kind of folder do you want?. I would like to change this default, automatic customization...
  5. How Do I Change the Default "Optimized Folder For" When Creating a New Folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How Do I Change the Default "Optimized Folder For" When Creating a New Folder?: Whenever I use the context menu to create a "New folder" on my desktop New > Folder, the folder is always optimized when created for "Videos" New Folder > Properties > Customize > What kind of folder do you want?. I would like to change this default, automatic customization...
  6. Change default c: drive

Change default c: drive: Okay, I am sure this has been asked before, but I can't find an answer I can understand. I added a new bigger SSD, I cloned it to my current c: drive. All I want to do is switch these drives....
  7. How do I change the name of the C:\Users\***** on my new laptop?

How do I change the name of the C:\Users\***** on my new laptop?: My name is Jane, last initial T, so the computer named my C:\Users\janet rather than jane. Since my name is Jane, I'd much prefer that, but every time I try to change it, the computer won't let me. It just keeps changing back to janet. Please tell me how I can change it....
  8. How do I change name of user folder from default? (C:>Users>USER)

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How do I change name of user folder from default? (C:>Users>USER): i just got a new laptop and the users folder is stuck with the name as just "user". i thought that since i have my microsoft account on the laptop it would change the user folder name automatically using the first 5 letters of my email (as it did on my old computer), but it...
  9. How do I expand my "C" drive with a new created volume?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I expand my "C" drive with a new created volume?: Hi All, Just shrank my boot system "E" drive slightly, now how do I move the new volume into the "C" drive? Thanks! [img] 25186
  10. How Do I Change The Default Installation From C: To Another Drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    How Do I Change The Default Installation From C: To Another Drive?: Hi, I'm trying to change the default directory download from C: to another drive? My son's SSD is filling up and apparently it's "too much trouble" to delete C: and type in E: or simply browse to the desired directory like 99.99999% of us do. Aside from being too lazy to do...