Windows 10: New camera raw files not recognized

Discus and support New camera raw files not recognized in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey folks, I recently purchased a new Canon camera. I've always used Canon only. I shoot exclusively in the raw format. (CR2). Windows 10 photos opens... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rusty post, Sep 10, 2018.

1. rusty post Win User

New camera raw files not recognized

Hey folks, I recently purchased a new Canon camera. I've always used Canon only. I shoot exclusively in the raw format. (CR2). Windows 10 photos opens the images from my 4 year old Canon, but will not with my new Canon. I get the following message. -
    New camera raw files not recognized [​IMG]
    .. I'm not very techie, but I did look to see if there was a codec package update for Windows 10. No such animal. This is not a critical problem, as my photo editing program opens up the files with no problem It's just nice previewing and culling the images I don't want in Windows photo viewer before I go any further. Thanks in advance for your input. Cheers, Rusty.

:)

rusty post, Sep 10, 2018
  2. D_979 Win User

Will Windows 10 support Camera Raw files

Will the new Windows 10 finally support Raw camera files? For the love of pete us photographers would be SO grateful if it did! Anyone know? Windows read my older cameras RAW files but once I upgraded my camera it couldn't hang with the RAW and won't read
    it. I am so hopeful this will come with the new upgrade!!

D_979, Sep 10, 2018
  3. iko22 Win User
    How to get rid of raw file support in windows photo viewer?

OK I got this fully working.

To view only .jpg files in folder containing jpg and camera raw

1. In File Explorer, navigate to folder containing photos that you wish to view.
    2. In File Explorer, type *.jpg in the search box. You will then see all your jpeg's with the camera raw files absent.
    3. Click on any file in the search results, to start Photo Viewer.

To view only camera raw (.cr2) files in a folder containing jpg and camera raw

1. In File Explorer, navigate to folder containing photos that you wish to view.
    2. In File Explorer, type *.cr2 in the search box. You will then see all your camera raw files with the jpeg files absent.
    3. Click on any file in the search results, to start Photo Viewer.

It really is that simple. No registry edits needed. *chuckle

iko22, Sep 10, 2018
  4. Paul19581958 Win User

Windows 10 RAW file codec pack

Hi all

I have just bought a new camera, a Panasonic G80, (same as G85 in America) but found the Explorer cannot display the RAW file thumbnails or view the files, I have no issues with the files produced by my older Panasonic cameras, so guess I need a new RAW
    codec.

Is there an update RAW codec pack available from MS for the many new cameras that have hit the market this last year.

Thanks for any help with this

Paul

Paul19581958, Sep 10, 2018
Thema:

1. New camera raw files not recognized - Similar Threads - camera raw files

2. Veiwing RAW camera files for Windoes 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Veiwing RAW camera files for Windoes 10: Hello, Has anyone figured out how to view raw camera files on Windows 10 yet? I have read all the community chatter and tried all the suggestions with no luck. Anyone been successful? I understand this is a big issue, so, Microsoft why haven't you fixed it or when is this...
  3. RAW Photo files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAW Photo files: Just recently upgraded a PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. This PC will be used strictly for photo processing mostly using Lightroom and Photoshop. Neither Photos or Windows Photo Viewer will open the RAW files on this particular PC. I have three other PC's that have been...
  4. Raw .ARW files unsupported by windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Raw .ARW files unsupported by windows 10?: I was completely unaware that this was an issue when I made the switch from Mac to Windows, big mistake. I just found out the RAW files are not supported by this new photo app with windows 10.. Is this issue being fixed? If you have a trick on how to work around this (I...
  5. Viewing RAW files in Windows Photos

Viewing RAW files in Windows Photos: Hi. I'm an amateur photographer and I shoot all my images in RAW. When viewing them via Photos it loads the image but then changes after a few seconds. The brightness, contrast, and colours will change. I don't want it doing this, not only does it slow down browsing...
  6. Trouble with Canon CR2 RAW files

Trouble with Canon CR2 RAW files: Hi: I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 about 6 weeks ago. Hopefully this is the right forum for the problem. Latest issue is that when I connect my (older) Canon camera via USB to the computer, Windows 10 can see the drive/CR2 files on it OK, but cannot display them (just lists them...
  7. Drive recognized as RAW format, crashes explorer upon contact, etc.

Drive recognized as RAW format, crashes explorer upon contact, etc.: I have this (fairly) old hard drive that was previously in my laptop, and that appeared to be unsalvageable. I recently bought a drive bay for my laptop, and plugged in the old drive and tried to get it to work again. Upon installation and trying to open the drive, Windows...
  8. PNY SSD stuck in RAW file system

PNY SSD stuck in RAW file system: Hi guys, So basically, had to reinstall windows and after doing so, my 480gb PNY SSD stopped working. I have 2 HDD's that had no issues after reinstall of windows but the PNY SSD. It shows its drive letter but thats it, no space thats on it or anything. It shows its...
  9. Possible error with rendering Olympus RAW files.

in Windows 10 Support
    Possible error with rendering Olympus RAW files.: The File Explorer fails to render some Olympus RAW (.ORF) image files. Oly has at least two versions of their .ORF RAW files. File Explorer only recognizes the "old" version. E-300 - E-500 cameras. From E-30 there is a second version (compressed). This second version...
  10. My system screws up RAW files

in Windows 10 Support
    My system screws up RAW files: I'm running Win 10 Pro X64, Anniversary Edition. Lately (starting before the Anniversary upgrade), RAW files often display with screwed-up colors and details. This happens (though not consistently) with .CR2 Canon and .ORF Olympus files, and with Adobe Photoshop Elements...