Windows 10: New computer and transferring product keys

Discus and support New computer and transferring product keys in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] (English is not my main language, sorry for any mistakes) Hi everyone! I have a few questions about Product Keys and licensing on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/VybeXE, Dec 3, 2020.

1. /u/VybeXE Win User

New computer and transferring product keys

New computer and transferring product keys LjPTinaki1JZKDQykIHlUoIuZtOS9jH5lqYMsJ3a_1g.jpg

(English is not my main language, sorry for any mistakes)

Hi everyone!

I have a few questions about Product Keys and licensing on Windows. I'm looking to buy a new laptop that comes with a linux distro instead of windows, I don't actually use linux so I'm going to install windows, the thing is: my current laptop is activated using a license linked to my Microsoft Account (I don't actually know where that license came from, really)

https://preview.redd.it/4eey93kl203...bp&s=ad3449bbbe3c8b53f80a5f4d92adc3c065d55708

Using wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey on Command Prompt shows me the license that came with my computer, but slmgr -dli shows a partial product key that does not match the first one. My question is: if I properly remove my current device from my account and connect the same account on the new computer, will I be able to activate windows?

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/VybeXE
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/VybeXE, Dec 3, 2020

2. Transfer of product key

Hello.

Whoever told you that you need to "deactivate" is wrong. Go here for actual steps on transfering the product key over:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windo...

Simply put, you just need to transfer the license over. you do not need to deactivate first.

For more info, i suggest calling MS support about activation issues.

Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product
    advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Zackary Vanosdol, Dec 3, 2020
  3. J. Raúl Win User
    Transferring a Windows 10 Product Key to a new computer

You cannot use OEM key to activate other devices. But I have seen cases where in it will activate.

You will have to follow below steps to activate on new device:

Open cmd as admin (on new computer)

Slmgr -upk (enter)

Slmgr -cpky

Slmgr -rilc

Slmgr -ipk XXXXX-XXXX-..... (your pk key)

Slmgr -ato

This should activate on new device. Before purchasing a key I'll suggest you try above steps because I have done in the past and it had worked.

J. Raúl, Dec 3, 2020
  4. New computer and transferring product keys

Transferring a Windows 10 Product Key to a new computer

Hi, I'm currently building a gaming desktop, and I don't want to have to buy a new Windows 10 product key as they are quite expensive. I'm wondering if I can transfer the key from my current laptop. I've used a software called ProduKey which found the
    key from my computer for me. I had bought a Dell Inspiron 15 3200 that had Windows 10 pre-installed. I've heard that you can't transfer a key from a computer that had Windows 10 pre-installed on it and that you can only transfer one that was a retail key.
    Will I be able to transfer it to my new computer if I uninstall it from my laptop, or do I have to purchase a new key?

a gtx 2080, Dec 3, 2020
Thema:

New computer and transferring product keys

1. New computer and transferring product keys - Similar Threads - computer transferring product

2. Transferring Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring Product Key: Hi there,I got a Microsoft product key in 2019 when I got new laptop starting university. I have now finished university and I have just gotten a new laptop and wish to tranfer this product key across. However, I cannot login to see the product key as I initially used my...
  3. transfer product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    transfer product key: i upgraded my laptop windows 10 from Home to Pro. The laptop has died and been replaced, can i transfer my Pro upgrade to my replacement laptop which i would like to move from Home to Pro also?...
  4. Transferring product keys to new computers

Transferring product keys to new computers: I have a windows 7 key from a laptop and a windows 10 key from a refurbished desktop. I was wondering if I could transfer the keys to two new desktops and would I be able to activate windows 10 with them? If it is possible how would I do so? Thank You [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  5. Transferring a Windows 10 Product Key to a new computer

Transferring a Windows 10 Product Key to a new computer: Hi, I'm currently building a gaming desktop, and I don't want to have to buy a new Windows 10 product key as they are quite expensive. I'm wondering if I can transfer the key from my current laptop. I've used a software called ProduKey which found the key from my computer for...
  6. Transfer Product Key

Transfer Product Key: Hi. My laptop is already 6 years old. I would like to change the HDD to SSD. I buy this laptop with original windows 8 already installed and then upgrade it to windows 10 during free windows 10 upgrade (not remember which year). Can I uninstall the product key on HDD and...
  7. Is Product Key Transferable to New PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is Product Key Transferable to New PC?: I have decided to build a new PC instead of trying to fix the unsupported UEFI Disk problem I've had for the last year with my current PC. I have downloaded the Windows 10 Media and installed it to a USB drive. When the install routine asks for my product key, I would like to...
  8. Transfer Windows Product Key to New Hardware

Transfer Windows Product Key to New Hardware: I purchased a Gigabyte computer from an individual several years ago and want to decommission that computer and transfer the Windows OS onto the new one. The new computer is a VM I have created using Parallels on my Mac. I keep running into errors. I have obtained the...
  9. Product Key Transfer

Product Key Transfer: I have a windows 10 pro product key on another laptop. This key was originally an 8 pro key which I could transfer between multiple devices. This laptop is dying and I uninstalled the key to install it on my current laptop which currently runs Windows 10 home; however, I...
  10. Transferring an old product key to a new system

Transferring an old product key to a new system: I could use some clarification on how product keys work, it's been a long time since I had to think about windows installations. I've been using the same copy of windows for a long time, I've upgraded it from windows 7 to windows 10, but have had the same product key for a...