Windows 10: New computer asked me to make a new user. Now I've lost all my files.

Discus and support New computer asked me to make a new user. Now I've lost all my files. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello all, hope you can help me in these dark times. I've been using my new MSI desktop for about a week now for editing video projects for a side job... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/nichofilm, Oct 26, 2020.

1. New computer asked me to make a new user. Now I've lost all my files.

Hello all, hope you can help me in these dark times.

I've been using my new MSI desktop for about a week now for editing video projects for a side job I have. This morning, my computer asked me to make a new user profile, which I thought was weird because I already set one up, but I said yes anyways because it was recommended.

Now, all my files are gone on my new user profile, and when I ran the CMD to allow myself to sign in as the admin again, the folders and files are nowhere to be found.

I know I should have backed the folders up to an external drive, but the editing time isn't what's bothering me, it's that it will take another day to redownload all the footage and I have a deadline soon.

Am I screwed? Or can I find the files somewhere?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

submitted by /u/nichofilm
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/nichofilm, Oct 26, 2020

2. Lost User Account

After upgrading from Window 7 to 10, I lost my wife's User Account got messed up, using my email address and login password, with no ability to change them. I received the reply below, but still have problems:

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with user accounts, we will help you to resolve this issue.

I would like to inform that there can be only one Microsoft user account on one device, and that might be the reason you are unable to change the email address for the user account.

I suggest you to create a new account (Local account) on your computer and transfer the content to newly created user account.

Step 1: Creating a new user account

• Type cmd in the Search bar form the desktop.
    • Now, Right-click on cmd.exe from the result and select Run As Administrator.
    • User Account Control or UAC dialog box will appear, click on Yes.
    • Type net user username password /add

[Replace ‘username’ and ‘password’ with your desired username and password]

Step 2. Copying old files to newly created User Profile

• Go to C:\Users\(Your-Corrupted-
    • Copy all files except three files:

• NtUser.dat

• NtUser.ini

• NtUser.log
    3. Go to C:\Users\(New-User-Profile-

4. Paste all those copied files here.

I tried to create a new user account as in Step 1, but when I put in the command as written above, I kept getting messages about correct syntax for the command. No matter what I tried, it wouldn't work. I
    then tried to set up a new account using the Settings/Accounts/"Add someone else to this PC" menu. I set up the account, but no folder was created under C:\Users\. I tried adding a folder using the new accounts user name and transferred the files from the
    other account. When I tried to log in, I received the same error message. I am at a loss as to how to get back the user account with the correct username, email address, and password. HELP!!!

LouisHafken, Oct 26, 2020
  3. New Account/User Issues

Hi,

When you create a new user account, Windows uses the Default user profile as a template to construct the files for the newly created user account. You might be experiencing issues creating new accounts due to a corrupt Default profile. To
    resolve the issue, we suggest reinstating the Default folder in the
    Users directory by following these steps:

• Open the C:\Users folder using Windows Explorer.
    • Rename the Default user profile folder to Default.OLD.
    • Download a zip of C:\Users\Default from a Windows 10 installation that doesn't have this problem.
    • Unzip the non-corrupt Default profile into C:\Users.
    • Try logging in to the new user account and check if the problem is resolved.

Let us know how it turns out.

Aileen Alf, Oct 26, 2020
  4. New computer asked me to make a new user. Now I've lost all my files.

Lost User Account

Hi Louis,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with user accounts, we will help you to resolve this issue.

I would like to inform that there can be only one Microsoft user account on one device, and that might be the reason you are unable to change the email address for the user account.

I suggest you to create a new account (Local account) on your computer and transfer the content to newly created user account.

Step 1: Creating a new user account

• Type cmd in the Search bar form the desktop.
    • Now, Right-click on cmd.exe from the result and select Run As Administrator.
    • User Account Control or UAC dialog box will appear, click on Yes.
    • Type net user username password /add

[Replace ‘username’ and ‘password’ with your desired username and password]

Step 2. Copying old files to newly created User Profile

• Go to C:\Users\(Your-Corrupted-Profile-Name)\ (L: file:///C:/Users/(Your-Corrupted-Profile-Name)/)
    • Copy all files except three files:

• NtUser.dat

• NtUser.ini

• NtUser.log
    3. Go to C:\Users\(New-User-Profile-name)\ (L: file:///C:/Users/(New-User-Profile-name)/)

4. Paste all those copied files here.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 26, 2020
Thema:

New computer asked me to make a new user. Now I've lost all my files.

1. New computer asked me to make a new user. Now I've lost all my files. - Similar Threads - computer asked user

2. New user, new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New user, new computer: I have a new Win11 computer. My old one on Win10 uses OneDrive as a backup when I ask it to synch. It never asked me to pay for that, and the documents remain on the hard drive. The new one recognized me instantly and set up OneDrive as its document folder and subfolders. To...
  3. New user, new computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New user, new computer: I have a new Win11 computer. My old one on Win10 uses OneDrive as a backup when I ask it to synch. It never asked me to pay for that, and the documents remain on the hard drive. The new one recognized me instantly and set up OneDrive as its document folder and subfolders. To...
  4. New computer is asking for a password.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New computer is asking for a password.: My kids received laptops yesterday that were brand new but when they turned them on the computers say Owner and is requesting a password. I have no clue why it’s asking for that on brand new laptops....
  5. New computer is asking for a password.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New computer is asking for a password.: My kids received laptops yesterday that were brand new but when they turned them on the computers say Owner and is requesting a password. I have no clue why it’s asking for that on brand new laptops....
  6. Make a new connection to another win10 pc, asks for user and pass?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Make a new connection to another win10 pc, asks for user and pass?: I log into that PC using a PIN number, so what do I use for a password? Can I change the password if I dont remember it? This is is my house with my PC's on my local network. And for some reason, it cant see 2 other win10 PC also on my same network, and it used to be able...
  7. My laptop factory reset itself and now I've lost all my files!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My laptop factory reset itself and now I've lost all my files!: Hi, My laptop reset itself and I've now lost every app, picture, document etc that was saved on my Windows 10 laptop! It even reset the home screen image that I had! Is there any way that I can retrieve my files?!...
  8. Trying to make a new user on my computer and keep the personal data of both my user and new...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Trying to make a new user on my computer and keep the personal data of both my user and new...: Trying to make a new user on my computer and keep the personal data of both my user and new user separate on 2 different Storage drives. Also, I just made the New User So do I move the users' profile to the other drive or do I set the setting of the user's default drive to...
  9. Make new user with premade user file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Make new user with premade user file: There might be alot of info about it but i just cant figure out how to google and find it. I have user file from old account and i want to use it on new account, how can i do that? submitted by /u/wasted_name [link] [comments]...
  10. New User - Not Me ?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    New User - Not Me ?: During the course of fixing a Start Menu issue where I had lost my App Icons and had no functionality of the Start Menu, resolved by running the Repair Windows Image, I had created a new User Account. I created this new user (Admin) to try and resolve the issue, but, when...