Windows 10: New Computer Broke - Can I move SSD to an EXACT SAME MACHINE Exact same model and config...

Discus and support New Computer Broke - Can I move SSD to an EXACT SAME MACHINE Exact same model and config... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi,Example...water fried my 2 months old machine. I went back to the store and bought the EXACT SAME COMPUTER model sku# config...everything again :-I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Tom J. Monks, Aug 14, 2022.

1. New Computer Broke - Can I move SSD to an EXACT SAME MACHINE Exact same model and config...

Hi,Example...water fried my 2 months old machine. I went back to the store and bought the EXACT SAME COMPUTER model sku# config...everything again :-I don't have an old fashioned HDD. I assume that I can just remove my original 1TB SSD, plug it into the new machine and it should load up perfectly with no adjustment needed ? Software came with it was Win 10 OEM...but upgraded to WIN 11 on the MS site... I think that makes it registered to me and my account ?I guess the only thing different would be the MAC, serial number, etc... ?Please let me know. I would be grateful not to have to spe

:)

Tom J. Monks, Aug 14, 2022
  2. Kreker Win User

Change motherboard with exact same model

The audio of my Asrock z87 pro4 died unexpectedly. Fortunately it's still in warranty so they send me the exact same model of mine.

Do you think I will have any problems with Windows 10?

Do I will need to reinstall?

Kreker, Aug 14, 2022
  3. rpg711 Win User
    Migrating windows from one PC to another (same exact hardware)

I have a case of OS migration that I have not dealt with before.

So the story is: airline checked baggage broke my built computer (fragile stickers, what a joke). I am ordering the same exact hardware. The SSD is definitely not broken in the previous computer.

My question is is it possible to just plug in my SSD without reinstalling windows and all my applications (after building the new computer, new hardware of the same model and series etc)? I think it would work fine. The parts are arriving in 2 days so I won't be able to try until they arrive.

rpg711, Aug 14, 2022
  4. New Computer Broke - Can I move SSD to an EXACT SAME MACHINE Exact same model and config...

Change motherboard with exact same model

Short answer: You do not have to reinstall. In fact, you will be able to continue normally.

Long answer: Traditionally, changing motherboard has always been one of the things that voided Windows activation. However, you need not worry, for the following reasons:

• Windows might not considers the replacement of the motherboard with an exact same model a motherboard change. It entirely depends on the manufacturer and intricate manufacturing details that we don't know. (For example, what if the manufacturer sends a motherboard with updated BIOS or a different serial number?) Also, Windows 10 is a much more tolerant and lenient Windows.
    • You can prevent the activation getting voided by associating your Windows 10 license with your Microsoft account. Either sign in to Windows using a Microsoft account, or use the Settings app to link the license. For detailed information, see:
      1. "How to associate your Windows 10 license with a Microsoft account". On MSFT. 15 October 2016. (Explains how to sign in using a Microsoft account, which automatically links Windows license with the account.)
      2. "Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change". Support. Microsoft. 1 September 2016. (Explains how to (1) link a Windows license to a Microsoft account without signing in with one, and (2) how to recover that license.)
    • On previous versions of Windows, such as Windows 7, people could contact Microsoft support, explain their case, and get their Windows reactivated while continuing to work unhindered during the 30-day grace period. Replacing a damaged motherboard with the exact same model has always been good enough for Microsoft to warrant reactivation.

In any case, you can most likely continue working unhindered.

Before changing your motherboard, make sure you do a full shutdown. To do so, hold down the Shift key before clicking on the shutdown button.

user477799, Aug 14, 2022
Thema:

New Computer Broke - Can I move SSD to an EXACT SAME MACHINE Exact same model and config...

1. New Computer Broke - Can I move SSD to an EXACT SAME MACHINE Exact same model and config... - Similar Threads - Computer Broke move

2. I got the exact Same issue this is new

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I got the exact Same issue this is new: DescriptionFaulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\MicrosoftWindows.Client.WebExperience_423.23500.0.0_x64__cw5n1h2txyewy\Dashboard\Widgets.exeProblem signatureProblem Event Name: MoAppCrashPackage Full Name:...
  3. I got the exact Same issue this is new

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I got the exact Same issue this is new: DescriptionFaulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\MicrosoftWindows.Client.WebExperience_423.23500.0.0_x64__cw5n1h2txyewy\Dashboard\Widgets.exeProblem signatureProblem Event Name: MoAppCrashPackage Full Name:...
  4. Italian and Spanish, not exactly the same

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Italian and Spanish, not exactly the same: Does anybody knows why I am Italian, I have my Microsoft Account set to Italian, my Windows copy installed is in Italian, my Office copy installed is in Italian, everything is in Italian and....Microsoft keeps sending me mail and alerts in Spanish???It is so disappointing......
  5. Italian and Spanish, not exactly the same

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Italian and Spanish, not exactly the same: Does anybody knows why I am Italian, I have my Microsoft Account set to Italian, my Windows copy installed is in Italian, my Office copy installed is in Italian, everything is in Italian and....Microsoft keeps sending me mail and alerts in Spanish???It is so disappointing......
  6. Italian and Spanish, not exactly the same

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. New Computer Broke - Can I move SSD to an EXACT SAME MACHINE Exact same model and config...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Computer Broke - Can I move SSD to an EXACT SAME MACHINE Exact same model and config...: Hi,Example...water fried my 2 months old machine. I went back to the store and bought the EXACT SAME COMPUTER model sku# config...everything again :-I don't have an old fashioned HDD. I assume that I can just remove my original 1TB SSD, plug it into the new machine and it...
  8. New installation, exactly the same computer, BITLOCKER behaves differently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New installation, exactly the same computer, BITLOCKER behaves differently: Old installation:Bitlocker encrypted OS C-drive When the computer starts up I lock into my accountThe New Installation nothing in the BIOS was chanced:Could not encrypted the OS-Drive - I got the message: "the startup options on this pc are configured incorrectly" Lots of...
  9. New installation, exactly the same computer, BITLOCKER behaves differently

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    New installation, exactly the same computer, BITLOCKER behaves differently: Old installation:Bitlocker encrypted OS C-drive When the computer starts up I lock into my accountThe New Installation nothing in the BIOS was chanced:Could not encrypted the OS-Drive - I got the message: "the startup options on this pc are configured incorrectly" Lots of...
  10. Clone HDD to New PC of Exact same model after failure

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clone HDD to New PC of Exact same model after failure: Hi, I have a HP Z230 (windows 10, probably upgraded from 7 a couple of years ago) that runs some 3rd party software we paid to have setup with small SQL databases behind them. The system runs fine and is more than enough. A real server isn't a possibility at this time. The...