Windows 10: New computer build. 2nd hard drive not recognized by win 10

Discus and support New computer build. 2nd hard drive not recognized by win 10 in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; My motherboard bios recognizes the second drive and device manager shows the drive. File manager does not. Disk Management does not show the drive. The... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by mjt(2), Jul 27, 2019.

1. mjt(2) Win User

New computer build. 2nd hard drive not recognized by win 10

My motherboard bios recognizes the second drive and device manager shows the drive. File manager does not. Disk Management does not show the drive. The drive is a Western Digital drive. Their Lifeguard program says the drive is working properly. It is a new drive. Presumably it needs formatting. But since Disk Management does not see the drive I cannot perform a format.

:)

mjt(2), Jul 27, 2019
  2. Games(2) Win User

My computer recognizes the 2nd Hard Drive, but then when I go to Devices it is not there. Please advise.

My computer recognizes the 2nd Hard Drive, but then when I go to Devices it is not there. Please advise.

Games(2), Jul 27, 2019
  3. Hard drive not recognized Windows 10

Hi Curtis,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We understand your concern and we will provide the assistance you required to resolve the issue.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

1. Is the portable hard drive connected to your PC via USB cable?

2. Did you get any error message that the drive was not recognize by your PC?

For now, I would suggest that you check if the USB cable that connects the hard drive and the PC is not damaged. If not, then I would suggest that you connect your hard drive to another PC and check if the device is recognized in that particular computer.

If the device gets recognized, then I would suggest that you connect the external hard drive, open File Explorer and check if the drive has an assigned letter. If not, open Disk Management while the drive is connected to the system and follow the steps below.

1. Right click on the Start Menu and select Disk Management

2. Right click on the external drive>Select New Simple Volume and
    assign letter to the drive.

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Jul 27, 2019
  4. lwebay Win User

Windows 10 doesn't recognize my 2nd hard drive

Well, I didn't have to "officially name it", but the following link hielped me.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-does-not-recognize-second-hard-drive

In device manager, I found my second hard drive and did "scan for hardware changes" and in properties, I did Populate. I don't know which, of any of those things worked, but the drive was finally recognized and the C partition was automatically changed to
    E.

Anyway, it's useful to look and see if the new drive appears in the Device Manager > Disk Drives list before looking in Disk Management.

lwebay, Jul 27, 2019
Thema:

1. New computer build. 2nd hard drive not recognized by win 10 - Similar Threads - computer build 2nd

2. 2nd hard drive not showing win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2nd hard drive not showing win 10: I'm trying to take a sata hard drive (with existing data) from an older win 10 machine and add it as a second drive on newer win 10 machine (also sata). First time I've done it. I've watched YT videos on how to configure the 2nd drive but it's based on the 2nd drive showing...
  3. New Build: Hard Drives from old computer aren't recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New Build: Hard Drives from old computer aren't recognized: Hi all, I just finished a new build and when i tried to move 2 data drives over to the build, my computer doesn't see them. One is a WE Black 2 TB and the other is an older Seagate Barracuda 500 gb. Both worked in the other computer, which I'm still using as an office...
  4. New Build: Hard Drives from old computer aren't recognized

in Windows 10 Support
    New Build: Hard Drives from old computer aren't recognized: Hi all, I just finished a new build and when i tried to move 2 data drives over to the build, my computer doesn't see them. One is a WE Black 2 TB and the other is an older Seagate Barracuda 500 gb. Both worked in the other computer, which I'm still using as an office...
  5. Hard disk drive not recognized in Win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard disk drive not recognized in Win 10: Hi I have two hard drives one sony and a toshiba. Both these drives have stopped working since yesterday. I can't see usb mass storage driver in disk management. I tried installing it manually but couldn't....
  6. current hard drive compatible with new win 10 computer?

current hard drive compatible with new win 10 computer?: hello just got a new dell computer that has bays for extra hard drives. I want to move a drive from my old computer to the new one. the hard drive is a wdc wd1001fals-40u9b0 ata. I think the new computer uses sata connectors. not sure what the old hard drive is, maybe 2.5 do...
  7. window 10 doesnt recognize my 2nd hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    window 10 doesnt recognize my 2nd hard drive: I just add my 2nd HDD into my pc, but window doesn't recognize the HDD. I see in the device manager but doesn't show up in file explorer or storage setting. I try scan for hardware changes, uninstalling it and updating driver. [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  8. win 10 will not recognize new drive

win 10 will not recognize new drive: New WD drive and is not recognized by pewter.. What next? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/win-10-will-not-recognize-new-drive/5eccb7ff-8792-40f2-b28c-a82fb19368a7
  9. Win 10 upgrade will no longer recognize 2nd internal drive.

Win 10 upgrade will no longer recognize 2nd internal drive.: I upgraded my Dell Insperion from Win 7-64 to Win 10 home 64, and it no longer sees my 2nd internal hard drive. I tried a scan in device manager but it did not help. Any advice? 97524
  10. Hard drive not recognized on new PC

Hard drive not recognized on new PC: Hello, So I've recently built a new PC and I installed 4 hard drives on it. 1)256GB SSD 2)500GB HDD 3)600GB HDD 4)600GB HDD My problem is that the 3rd HDD drive is not recognized and its displayed as "Intel Raid 0 Volume" in Device Manager (I didn't change any...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 doesnt recognise 2nd hard drive