Windows 10: New computer: copy OneDrive files via removable storage or sync?

Discus and support New computer: copy OneDrive files via removable storage or sync? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I've been using OneDrive for several years and have all my user folders in it, including documents, photos, etc. I've probably got somewhere north... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RMcCutcheon, Jul 6, 2020.

1. New computer: copy OneDrive files via removable storage or sync?

So I've been using OneDrive for several years and have all my user folders in it, including documents, photos, etc. I've probably got somewhere north of 600gb of files in total.

Every article I come across for "new computer"+onedrive indicates best practice is to sync and let the files download. I would much prefer to just copy the files onto a 1Tb ext HDD, put them in the proper location on the new computer, then sync...but I don't want to end up with two of everything, nor do I want to cause a bunch of syncing errors. I'm just trying to avoid DAYS of file syncing.

Any advice, friends? What is the best practice for a new computer old computer still works and I still have access to it when my OneDrive is loaded? THANKS!

:)

RMcCutcheon, Jul 6, 2020

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Jul 6, 2020
  3. OneDrive Storage Over Multiple Computers

Issue:

• I have multiple computers running Windows 10
    • Each computer is linked to same Microsoft account
    • I have Office365 with 1TB of storage.
    • On each computer I save files to OneDrive
    BUT

• Not all files on OneDrive are visible to all my computers, nor are they all visible on the OneDrive website.
    • Example: A directory called Fiction is visible on OneDrive from computer A, but that directory cannot be seen on any other computer, nor on onedrive.live.com.
    Question:

• How can I make all files on OneDrive visible to share with all computers registered to the same Microsoft account?

southwestcoyote, Jul 6, 2020
  4. CraigLong Win User

New computer: copy OneDrive files via removable storage or sync?

One Drive and copying files to new computer

That is good news indeed!

CraigLong, Jul 6, 2020
Thema:

New computer: copy OneDrive files via removable storage or sync?

1. New computer: copy OneDrive files via removable storage or sync? - Similar Threads - computer copy OneDrive

2. Syncing Onedrive files to new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Syncing Onedrive files to new PC: I have a Onedrive account that currently syncs to my Windows 11 PC. If I sign into that account from a new PC replacing my existing PC, will it sync all of the existing files to my new PC?...
  3. Syncing Onedrive files to new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Syncing Onedrive files to new PC: I have a Onedrive account that currently syncs to my Windows 11 PC. If I sign into that account from a new PC replacing my existing PC, will it sync all of the existing files to my new PC?...
  4. Remove OneDrive sync

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove OneDrive sync: I don't want my Desktop, Documents, and other folders to be on OneDrive folder like this C:\Users\Username\OneDrive\Documents\. How do I remove this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-onedrive-sync/aa183848-8841-4a30-b22d-f185facc8cd5
  5. Remove OneDrive sync

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove OneDrive sync: I don't want my Desktop, Documents, and other folders to be on OneDrive folder like this C:\Users\Username\OneDrive\Documents\. How do I remove this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-onedrive-sync/aa183848-8841-4a30-b22d-f185facc8cd5
  6. Remove OneDrive sync

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Avoid/remove automatic OneDrive sync to new computer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Avoid/remove automatic OneDrive sync to new computer?: Hello!Just bought a used laptop with windows 10 installed. I started with resetting windows and logged in using my windows account as suggested. I was a bit sceptic about this because I wanted to have control of choices and features from scratch on my new machine so I...
  8. Sync OneDrive files to a new computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sync OneDrive files to a new computer: So I bought a new computer. My old one has my files backed up through OneDrive. Everything is syncing to the OneDrive folder on the new machine but I want the files to sync to the Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc. The settings in OneDrive to choose folders are checked off...
  9. Onedrive will not sync files on both computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive will not sync files on both computers: I have two computers, both running Windows 10. I have a paid Onedrive account with 100 GB of storage that has plenty of available storage. Onedrive is set up on both computers using the same account. The problem is I can only get the files on one computer to sync files to...
  10. Sync a copy on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sync a copy on OneDrive: Is it possible to sync automatically a copy of a program on OneDrive? Or this is only possible if I transfer the program to OneDrive? Thanks, Daniel https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sync-a-copy-on-onedrive/cde38971-cc83-49a9-b780-2edb1a82b328