Windows 10: New computer first login user admin account?

Discus and support New computer first login user admin account? in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I bought a new computer for my mom. When turning on for first time, it did not have any typical setup questions and opened with an “administrator... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by ANutt, May 30, 2020.

1. ANutt Win User

New computer first login user admin account?

I bought a new computer for my mom. When turning on for first time, it did not have any typical setup questions and opened with an “administrator account” with user ID of “h”. This seems very odd to me and I am leery about using personal credentials if this computer was already configured by someone else. I have been unable to locate the option to “restore factory defaults”.
    I’d appreciate any thoughts/suggestions?

:)

ANutt, May 30, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Cannot Login with New User Account in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue

• What exactly happens when you try to login with new user account?

• Are you getting any error message?

• Since when are you facing this issue?

I suggest you to Enable
    the built in Administrator account in Windows 10, and then try to create new user account and check if it helps.

I suggest you to refer the steps below and check if it helps

• Press Windows+ X, select
      Command Prompt
      , and then click Run as Administrator.

• When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.

• At the command prompt, type net user administrator /active: yes, and then press Enter.

• Type net user administrator
      <Password>
      , and then press Enter.

Note In this command, <Password> represents the actual password that you want to set for the administrator account.

• Type exit, and then press Enter.

• Log off the current user account. And login and check whether your able to login to windows or not.

Hope this information is helpful. Please write back to us if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Arun B J, May 30, 2020
  3. marknyy Win User
    Windows users at login

I cannot see all of my user accounts on the login screen on a new Windows 10 laptop. I have an account for my son and it does not appear as a user on the login screen. It is listed if I display the users with the CMD prompt. The only account I see is my
    account which is an admin. His account is a user. All the suggestions I've seen are not available on home edition.

marknyy, May 30, 2020
  4. Try3 Win User

My admin account switched to a user account!

The first of the many diagrams in this thread show that the link Sign in with a local account instead is displayed for the account that is currently logged on and so the reversion procedure might work for this account. For normal circumstances, that would initiate the conversion back to a local account for the user account currently logged in - see my 23rd & 26th September 2016 posts in revert to local account from one converted to MSAccount. I have no way of knowing how Windows will react to an attempt to use this procedure for the Built-In Admin account and I do not know if that link Sign in with a local account instead will be displayed or not.

I think I side-stepped this issue by suggesting that that
    • An extra password-protected Admin level account is created, and
    • The Built-In Admin is disabled, and
    • The recovery attempt focuses on whichever existing user account remains active afterwards.

Personally, I would reinstall Windows 10 without even attempting this recovery. Installation takes very little effort once everything is backed up and the only necessary user interactions are right at the start & right at the end so it can be initiated before making a pot of tea. It took about 30, 60 & 90 minutes for each of my computers [the 30 minuter is 6 months old, the 60 minuter is 7 years old, 90 minuter is 12 years old].

Raner - I am trying to avoid sounding like I am nagging you into doing a clean install.
    • Once you have recovered the existing user account you can attempt to re-enable & remove the MSAccount link from your Built-In Admin if that link appears in Settings, Accounts.
    • Bree says it cannot be done and I think the same but I have never tried - I have never been able to get to Settings using the Built-In Admin because it cannot run any Windows 10 Apps so I do not know how it can be done [but the diagrams in Bree's link shows that those users got there].
    • Even though I have the safety of having created two spare password-protected Admin accounts I would not want to know that my Built-In Admin was sitting in the background but unable to help me if my other accounts were corrupted.

Denis

Thema:

1. New computer first login user admin account? - Similar Threads - computer login user

2. Admin and User Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Admin and User Account: Hello,Sorry for the basic of not already asked questions:When I set up my new windows 11 laptop I am the admin and have a Microsoft account. I’m told I should also have a user account. Is that true?Which should be local?If I make the admin local would I still have access to...
  3. Admin and User Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Admin and User Account: Hello,Sorry for the basic of not already asked questions:When I set up my new windows 11 laptop I am the admin and have a Microsoft account. I’m told I should also have a user account. Is that true?Which should be local?If I make the admin local would I still have access to...
  4. admin/user accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    admin/user accounts: Is there a way to let standard user accounts have access to programs downloaded under the admin account of a Microsoft laptop? Woiuld it depend on the program downloaded? I feel like there is a way to do this but I just can seem to remember. The accounts would be on the same...
  5. admin/user accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    admin/user accounts: Is there a way to let standard user accounts have access to programs downloaded under the admin account of a Microsoft laptop? Woiuld it depend on the program downloaded? I feel like there is a way to do this but I just can seem to remember. The accounts would be on the same...
  6. How to create a new admin user account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to create a new admin user account: I'm an administrator. I want to create a new administrator account. Control Panel User Account doesn't show an Add User. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-a-new-admin-user-account/cbf0d022-3fee-4615-8c67-d5f1038ed86d
  7. User login vs. admin login.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User login vs. admin login.: In some apps such as Hallmark, projects cards, etc. are seen in project lists when logged in as admin and can be modified, but not logged in as a user. How can this be fixed? I would like to only have one login to be used for everything, including updates, mail, etc.. I...
  8. admin user account display name on login

admin user account display name on login: I cannot change the display name when I log into my computer. Other posts say to go to user accounts and click it twice, but I do not see a second user account option. I have tried all the options available....
  9. Admin account login

Admin account login: Whenever I try to make changes I am asked for an admin name and password. I have looked an User accounts in control panel and it does not show an admin account just a local one. How can I get these details? Any help would be appreciated....
  10. New PC setup first user account

New PC setup first user account: I just bought a new PC with Win10 Home Premium and went through the initial setup process using my primary Microsoft email address. I am now set up as an administrator but for safety and security reasons, would prefer to use a standard account. How can I dissociate my name...