Windows 10: New Computer -Locked out first day with no way back in.

Discus and support New Computer -Locked out first day with no way back in. in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Have been using MACS for a while after too many bad Windows experiences years ago. But it's been a while, so I figure it's time to give a go at a PCs... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by UrbanNinja, Dec 20, 2018.

1. New Computer -Locked out first day with no way back in.

Have been using MACS for a while after too many bad Windows experiences years ago. But it's been a while, so I figure it's time to give a go at a PCs again. One day in it feels like a return to the Twilight Zone. NO OFFENSE TO ANY PERSON OR INSTITUTION INTENDED -I'm just expressing a feeling in the pit of my gut as I begin to traverse an old once, for me, very bumpy road again I imagined might have been smoothed. I dunno. Maybe it's something I did, but I'm not sure what.

First day and I'm already locked out of my computer without understanding how or why this happened and with no easy way so far as I can tell back in, at a point where people online are advising folk in my situation to wipe their drive.

B.b.b.b.b.but it's brand new....

Am going to tell the whole story as I'm also interested to know what if anything was done wrong (so as not to repeat any possibly obvious error), though the main thing is what to do from here. I'm hoping it is something other than wiping the drive.

SET UP A PIN AND PASSWORD

After setting up Windows 10, uninstalled McAffee, restarted as instructed. MS, of course, wants you to set up a PIN and a Password.

PIN NO LONGER AVAILABLE DUE TO CHANGE IN SECURITY SETTINGS
    On logging in informed "PIN no longer available due to a change in the security settings." What change? I dunno -all I recall having done is the uninstall of McAffee and the requested restart. Whether the "Sorry, your pin is no longer available, muhahahaha" is a result of the McAffee uninstall or not is the first question I pondered at that point. Don't recall checking a box saying "Hey Windows, don't ever again recognize the log-in PIN I just gave you to log in." Whatever. Onward to the next step...

SET UP YOUR PIN AGAIN IN SETTINGS
    I was also informed by Windows "You can set up your PIN again by going to Settings>Accounts>Sign In Options" So I try that. So I go to Settings, re-enter the PIN, and restarting the computer.
    But it didn't do anything. Pin no longer available it says again.

GO BACK AND DO WHAT YOU JUST DID WHICH DIDN'T WORK TO RESET THE PI
    N the screen then informs me. Bleh. What saith the internet about this issue, if anything?

INPUT YOUR PROPERLY COMPLEX MS PASSWORD TO LOGIN

My MS password is, as it is supposed to be, a tad complex -not something I want to type out every time I want to send an email to somebody on my computer. Maybe make it simpler? In an age where everyone is telling you to avoid simpler passwords, hackers rejoice, there is a worldwide logical expediency which naturally leads lots of folks to (1) make their passwords simpler and (2) send them across the internet. Sounds more like insecurity to me, but what do I know -I'm no official Microsoft engineer, just another guy trying to use his computer.

WAIT, SAITH GOOGLE, JUST USE A LOCAL ACCOUNT

Googling Windows 10 PIN PROBLEM ("problem" since following Windows' own stated solution didn't work) I read the claim the PIN would be recognized if I I also found the claim the PIN would be recognized if I (A) sign in with a local account (Settings >My Info >Use Local Account >follow instructions to set up) and then (B) Set the PIN again, and then (C) Select sign in with a Microsoft Account again and then (supposedly) the pin should simply work.

YOUR LOCAL PASSWORD IS NOT RECOGNIZED
    Dutifully following step (A) above I directed Windows to allow me to sign in with a local account and set the password. The password I typed in twice is the same number our family uses on all our ipads in the house. I have used it daily for years. Did I mention I typed it in twice?

So I restarted my computer. It had the local username I had just set. I typed in the Password just as I type that same number every day on multiple other devices we own. Windows then ominously replied PASSWORD "INCORRECT." How could it possibly be incorrect given it is the same number we use every day and it was just carefully entered twice? Twilight Zone Windows Jinx Day many Mac-years long overdue the ? Dunno.

LOST YOUR PASSWORD? PASSWORD WIZARD SAYS "ENTER YOUR PASSWORD."
    So after finding my PIN "not available" for no obvious reason, and my Local Password deemed "incorrect," for reasons equally unfathomable to me, the PASSWORD WIZARD tells me to enter my local password. You know- the right one, not the one you have used for years on multiple devices and just entered twice which we deem "Incorrect." Muhahahahahaha, Checkmate silly User who thought you could use your new computer today -unless perhaps you want to consider wiping your brand new computer already and starting this exact same process again...

HENCE MY TWO QUESTIONS...
    (1) What do I have to do now -wipe the drive?
    (2) What did I do, if anything, "wrong" -not wanting to repeat this whole absurd and pointless debacle again *Wink

Why is something so simple on a million other devices and sites as setting a pin and a password beset with pitfalls and stated solutions (e.g. reset your PIN in Settings) that don't work out.

:)

UrbanNinja, Dec 20, 2018

2. computer keeps locking up...

him your computer locks up.... check what your running and see if it affects it cause this shouldn't happen it could be your ram or your mouse but i'm just giving a suggestion

k0rn_h0li0, Dec 20, 2018
  3. Atom1 Win User
    New Win 10 install-computer locks up

I recently took an Asus K73E laptop and installed a new clean hard drive and a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. With no other software installed, and nothing running, if I leave the computer on and idle, after a while it will lock up and I have to perform a hard power off and on to restart. Most of what I've read suggests that the problem is BIOS or drivers. My last update was KB4093110 on April 12, 2018.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this? Prior to installing Win 10 it did not lock up the way it is now, so I believe is it software/firmware issue. I did install more RAM during this process, but I've tested the memory and it checked out.

Atom1, Dec 20, 2018
  4. New Computer -Locked out first day with no way back in.

Lock screen not working properly on Windows 10 computer.

Hi Oshith,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is change in lock screen settings.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• When you say that "It is not flapped over to password when clicking", you tried to check the issue by clicking through external mouse?
    • Have you made any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to change the picture of the lock screen and also try to update Display Adapter driver.

Step 1: I suggest you to follow the steps below to set the lock screen pictures.

1. Right click on Desktop screen.

2. Then click on Personalize.

3. Click on Lock Screen.

4. Try to select the lock screen picture.

Step 2: I recommend you to update the latest driver for display adapter in Device Manager.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Then type “devmgmt.msc” without the quotes and hit on
    Enter Key.

3. Expand Display Adapter.

4. Right click on the driver and click on Update driver software.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with lock screen, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Dec 20, 2018
Thema:

New Computer -Locked out first day with no way back in.

1. New Computer -Locked out first day with no way back in. - Similar Threads - Computer Locked

2. In-Place Upgrade has me locked out of my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In-Place Upgrade has me locked out of my computer: For the last two weeks windows 11 has been crashing my apps and causing errors. I did all the steps I could to keep my computer running. All my updates are installed for windows and my laptop hardware, all my drivers are up to date, and I repaired and reinstalled all my apps....
  3. In-Place Upgrade has me locked out of my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In-Place Upgrade has me locked out of my computer: For the last two weeks windows 11 has been crashing my apps and causing errors. I did all the steps I could to keep my computer running. All my updates are installed for windows and my laptop hardware, all my drivers are up to date, and I repaired and reinstalled all my apps....
  4. My computer is locked up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer is locked up.: Warning on laptop. Computer locked up and a number provided to call in us.Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-is-locked-up/e3c37184-2c5c-4777-8c7b-99ceff46e507
  5. My computer is locked up.

My computer is locked up.: Warning on laptop. Computer locked up and a number provided to call in us.Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-is-locked-up/e3c37184-2c5c-4777-8c7b-99ceff46e507
  6. My computer is locked by the defender

My computer is locked by the defender: I need help to unlock my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-is-locked-by-the-defender/aa9c7568-1598-4695-b59a-ff8bc61c85c3
  7. My computer is locked by the defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer is locked by the defender: I need help to unlock my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-is-locked-by-the-defender/aa9c7568-1598-4695-b59a-ff8bc61c85c3
  8. Family safety keeps locking my PC even though I am an adult and only user on my computer....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Family safety keeps locking my PC even though I am an adult and only user on my computer....: Hello, I just installed microsoft on my pc. Somehow, family safety keeps locking my PC even though I am an adult and only user on my computer. It says 'This device is locked because of your family settings for screen time'. I just want to access my computer for work related...
  9. Family safety keeps locking my PC even though I am an adult and only user on my computer....

Family safety keeps locking my PC even though I am an adult and only user on my computer....: Hello, I just installed microsoft on my pc. Somehow, family safety keeps locking my PC even though I am an adult and only user on my computer. It says 'This device is locked because of your family settings for screen time'. I just want to access my computer for work related...
  10. Family safety keeps locking my PC even though I am an adult and only user on my computer....

in User Accounts and Family Safety