Windows 10: New computer - moved from Vista to Win10 - HATE IT! Have many questions, will start with 2!

Discus and support New computer - moved from Vista to Win10 - HATE IT! Have many questions, will start with 2! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've tried to find info online but it seems I don't have the same options as these earlier responses indicate. Like I said, just got it yesterday - and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by columbia1993, Sep 12, 2019.

1. New computer - moved from Vista to Win10 - HATE IT! Have many questions, will start with 2!

I've tried to find info online but it seems I don't have the same options as these earlier responses indicate. Like I said, just got it yesterday - and it's awful! Already missing Vista, which I didn't think would happen.

1. It appears that the computer assigned a username based on the info for my MS account? I use a username with sites that is not my name so, along with an apparent need to shorten it to 5 characters - why??? - I had no idea that my user name - "colum" was supposed to be me - "Lisa". Since I already have no idea where to find anything on this horrible new platform, it was stumbling luck that I even happened upon this information. Is there any way to change this. I've found stuff on YouTube but they have options in their Win10 that I don't seem to have. I don't know if there's some way to edit my MS account so that this changes or am I stuck with something I don't even recognize?

2. OneDrive: I can see how some people might like this but I have no use for it. It did, however, automatically put my files I moved over into it and now it complains constantly about being full. Now, I know I can "unlink" it but the bit I read on it makes it sound like it will delete the folders. I obviously don't want that. But, if I drag them out of there before unlinking, it seems that other files, maybe even them, will go right back in!

Additionally, I see that I've got a new "Status" column - again, ugh! - and there are OneDrive icons and a whole lot of red "Xs". MS isn't the best at providing answers and their little bit of info on OneDrive online was very sparse. Seems they're more interested in selling me more space, which again I've no interest in.

I built my last computer 11 years ago, with Vista, so this is all really foreign to me now. I appreciate anything you can tell me so that I can better understand what I can and should do!

:)

columbia1993, Sep 12, 2019
  2. davidhk Win User

[Question]Need help fixing Win10 / Vista dual boot

I don't have a Vista anymore and it's a long time since I used one.
    So, I can't tell you the exact step-by-step. I can only offer your a direction.
    See if the followings applicable to you....................
    If you can open All Programs > Accessories > locate RUN
    Click open Run > type msconfig into the box > OK.
    Click Boot at the top > I assume you will see both Windows Vista and Windows 10 listed.
    Click Windows 10 > click Set as default > at Timeout, set it at 30 seconds > click OK when done.
    Reboot.

Hope this will help you at all.

davidhk, Sep 12, 2019
  3. J3RM Win User
    [Question]Need help fixing Win10 / Vista dual boot

Just looked at this before trying with EasyBCD and just want to say that the Vista drive is labeled as Current OS and gives me the Default option to set, but when I click on Win10 which is labeled as Default OS, the Set Default option greys out and is not an option.

4. endeavor Win User

New computer - moved from Vista to Win10 - HATE IT! Have many questions, will start with 2!

Replacing Windows Mail in Win-10 with one from Win-Vista.

Clayton, yes you can use your own files, as well realize the files from the tutorial attachments are the exact same thing already coming from Windows Vista - it's all the same.

The tutorial instructions how to do it in every detail are posted Here

Please for your own sake, just be sure you understand the limitations of using the old Vista WinMail client out of it's native environment inside of Windows7/8/10 by reading through the disclaimer, and the Bug List that's linked on the page there, and then decide if you want to do it and if it's right for you.
    Feel free to post your questions over there too.

endeavor, Sep 12, 2019
Thema:

New computer - moved from Vista to Win10 - HATE IT! Have many questions, will start with 2!

1. New computer - moved from Vista to Win10 - HATE IT! Have many questions, will start with 2! - Similar Threads - computer moved Vista

2. Stymied moving Win10 from MBR computer to GPT computer . . .

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stymied moving Win10 from MBR computer to GPT computer . . .: I have an issue in moving my win 10 system from one computer to another MBR on old, GPT on new. I have been unable to get an MBR Win10 image from a working computer to work on a GPT system. MBR2GPT throws error, rebuilding with BCDBOOT doesn't work. At this point, I've...
  3. Moving win10 pro to new computer fails

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving win10 pro to new computer fails: The new computer has win10 home on it and when I insert the activation key for the pro edition it says "windows has been activated", but the computer is still running the home edition....
  4. Moving Win10 from SSD to M.2?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving Win10 from SSD to M.2?: So I'm finally moving my OS from my old SSD (like 2015) to a clean M.2. The M.2 is empty and already partitioned and nothing of real value is on the old SSD. What is the easiest way of moving the OS? Media creation tool or just doing a clean install of windows? For the clean...
  5. Moving license from Win7 BOX to new computer with fresh Win10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving license from Win7 BOX to new computer with fresh Win10: Hi, Soon I want buy a new PC and install fresh Win 10. On old computer I have installed Win 10 which is from upgrade from Win 8 which is from upgrade from Win 7 Ultimate BOX. 1. How to deactivate license on old PC? With below command? slmgr /upk 2. Can I use key from Win...
  6. vista to new computer windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    vista to new computer windows 10: Hi I have transferred all my files from my external hard drive from my old vista to windows 10 but cant open or view. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vista-to-new-computer-windows-10/c976e16a-45ff-4af0-b6c4-fd0d5b0fe1f6"
  7. Moving win10 from old computer to new

Moving win10 from old computer to new: I'm upgrading from and old computer to a new build. Am I able to move the operating system to the new one without buying a brand new windows product key? I will not be using the old one whatsoever (just keeping the hard drives). Originally this was a windows 7 and I got the...
  8. New Win10 Computer OS Question

New Win10 Computer OS Question: This is a complicated question (at least for me.) I've been using Windows, almost every version since 3.1 (I skipped Vista.) Last year in April my Win7 desktop computer suffered a shorted motherboard. I knew I had to upgrade to win10 soon, but was watching closely the...
  9. Moving to new computer - activation question

Moving to new computer - activation question: I have a PC with Windows 10 Pro. I activated this Windows with a product key that I got over the phone from Microsoft because it was not possible to activate Windows 10 after upgrading from Windows 8.1. In my Windows 10 Pro settings it says under Activation "Windows is...
  10. [Question]Need help fixing Win10 / Vista dual boot

[Question]Need help fixing Win10 / Vista dual boot: I was running Win10 and partitioned off 25gb for Vista because I needed older OS to run some software. Anyhow, now I'm not sure how the hell I boot back to my main partition, because the Vista partition as taken seniority over the main partition. So, Win10 partition is now...