Windows 10: New Computer Needed & Want To Save Programs On HDD W/O Reinstallation

Discus and support New Computer Needed & Want To Save Programs On HDD W/O Reinstallation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a computer that is on its way out the door. However, the hard drive is sound and is fine, however, I have programs on there that I want to save... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sawuwaya, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Sawuwaya Win User

New Computer Needed & Want To Save Programs On HDD W/O Reinstallation

I have a computer that is on its way out the door. However, the hard drive is sound and is fine, however, I have programs on there that I want to save and a couple of them I do not have the installation program EXEcutable installation file or the software on a disc to re-install the software. Yet I am running Windows 10, and there is a glitch within the OS where I cannot get my WiFi to work as well. I know that if I install Windows 10 and keep my software that would fix the Network issue because I had to do that one other time and it fixed that issue; the programs were fine including the one without the disc.

Do you think that I could take the hard drive and make an ISO (for backup purposes) and then reintroduce that hard drive into a newer computer that can use Windows 10 as well and re-run Windows Install by just running the Setup EXEcutable to reintroduce Windows with the new Hardware the CPU still would be from the same manufacturer (Intel processor i5 7th Gen or newer) and memory would be the same... I do not know about manufacturer, however.

In theory this should work because (I believe) Windows is re-imaging itself over an "old" copy of Windows and applying the new/different drivers for the new computer, yes?

I am just hoping that if I could save that software install I would....

Thanks.
    Cheers!

:)

Sawuwaya, Oct 11, 2019
  2. Johankaan Win User

unlock hdd

Johankaan, Oct 11, 2019
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Oct 11, 2019
  4. tvsavino Win User

Steam program uninstall, also removed all programs on computer - How to reinstall?

Original Title - Need to reinstall ALL PROGRAMS!

Somehow (not really with "fabulous" Microsoft) Steam program uninstall, also removed
    all programs on computer. Since Windows 10 Restore was negatively changed from Windows 7 version (another change w/o explanation nor announcement for avg. user), cannot restore to earlier date. How to reinstall?

tvsavino, Oct 11, 2019
Thema:

1. New Computer Needed & Want To Save Programs On HDD W/O Reinstallation - Similar Threads - Computer Needed Save

2. Reinstall Win11ProforWorkstation w/o Going Through Upgrade AGAIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall Win11ProforWorkstation w/o Going Through Upgrade AGAIN: Bought Workstation laptop/ships with Windows10Home. Upgraded to Windows11ProforWorkstation $$$. Kept up-to-date with ALL Microsoft updates.Now 2.5 years later and I need to refresh the laptop.How to force the refresh to refresh to Win11ProforWorkstations at the latest...
  3. Reinstall Win11ProforWorkstation w/o Going Through Upgrade AGAIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall Win11ProforWorkstation w/o Going Through Upgrade AGAIN: Bought Workstation laptop/ships with Windows10Home. Upgraded to Windows11ProforWorkstation $$$. Kept up-to-date with ALL Microsoft updates.Now 2.5 years later and I need to refresh the laptop.How to force the refresh to refresh to Win11ProforWorkstations at the latest...
  4. Onedrive saves docs w/o my permission

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive saves docs w/o my permission: Recently, docs I try to save to folders on my pc are being automatically saved to OneDrive as well. This just started and I can't figure out how to stop it. Any advice?...
  5. WANTED - simple folders w/o all the Explorer stuff

in Windows 10 Support
    WANTED - simple folders w/o all the Explorer stuff: I maintain various collections (=folders) of files and folders on my desktop for ease of access. For these folders I don't need no navigation pane, no search bar, no menu, no nothing. I understand that removing the navigation pane is a "for all folders or none" thing....
  6. Is there a way to unlock files w/o another program?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to unlock files w/o another program?: Photoshop keeps generating undeletable debug.log's (only solution is rebooting which is not ideal) and many of the programs recommended do not seem to work on the latest Win10 build. Surely there's a way to do this natively? submitted by /u/Cinderbike [link] [comments]...
  7. Any way to recreate User folders w/o reinstall?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Any way to recreate User folders w/o reinstall?: Last nite's update or Disk Cleanup has deleted all my User folders I moved to my Data HDD, H:. (So they're not in C:\Users|Mac20 either). (I do have two 3D Objects in both places oddly.) Is there a way to recreate them somehow or is the only solution to totally reinstall?...
  8. Reinstall Windows 10 on new hard drive w/o recovery disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall Windows 10 on new hard drive w/o recovery disk: I replaced hard drive and don't have a recovery disk. How can I reinstall Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-windows-10-on-new-hard-drive-wo-recovery/403a8967-753c-460d-9899-1cfce2f30cbc
  9. Reinstall Calendar w/o a Microsoft account

Reinstall Calendar w/o a Microsoft account: First off, thanks in advance for any help offered. My new ASUS laptop came with Windows 10, so this is not an upgrade install, but an OEM purchase, and therefore not a pre-release build. My problem is this: I accidentally uninstalled the Mail/Calendar app that comes with...
  10. New PC w/ SSD+HDD, possible to have programs installed only on HDD?

New PC w/ SSD+HDD, possible to have programs installed only on HDD?: Hey all. I need all your genius minds and help here. Bought a new Dell PC running Win10 with 128GB SSD + 1 TB HDD. After deleting the bloatware (which was surprisingly minimal), I have about 60GB of free space. Tried installing a few basic programs but they all kept...