Windows 10: New computer network discovery problem

Discus and support New computer network discovery problem in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a wireless home network that involves a desktop running Windows 7 and 2 laptops running Windows 10 Home, version 10.0 18362 Build 18362.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by qcable, Dec 30, 2019.

1. qcable Win User

New computer network discovery problem

I have a wireless home network that involves a desktop running Windows 7 and 2 laptops running Windows 10 Home, version 10.0 18362 Build 18362. Everything works good between these 3 computers. I have tried to add a 3rd Laptop, also running Windows 10, and there is where my problem started.

I will call the 3rd laptop "A" for this discussion. None of the other 3 computers will recognize laptop A. However, Laptop A will recognize the other 3 computers and will read and write to their files. On the Laptop A, I have gone through the setup to make sure that "Discovery" is turned on several time.

On the 3 that are working, when I click on "Networks" all 3 original computers are displayed, including the computer where I selected "Networks". Under the Media Devices listing all of the computers are displayed, including laptop A and the other 3 computers. All 4 can access Laptop A's media. When "Networks" is selected on Laptop A, the other 3 computers are shown but Laptop A is NOT. All 4 are shown under "Media Devices".

Any help in solving this problem will certainly be appreciated.

:)

qcable, Dec 30, 2019
  2. Berton Win User
    Berton, Jan 6, 2020
  3. Network Communication problem with multiple computers

Hi Jay,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Network discovery might be blocking you from seeing other computers and devices on the network. Check if the Network discovery is turned on. If the network discovery setting on your computer is set to off, you
    won't see other computers and devices on the network.

Steps to Turn on network discovery.

• Press Windows key, type sharing and click on
      Manage advanced sharing settings.
    • Under Private, Network discovery, check mark the option
      Turn on network discovery.
    • Try the same on all the computers connected to the network.

Method 2: If the issue still persists, run
    HomeGroup troubleshooter and check.

HomeGroup troubleshooter finds and fix problems with viewing computers or shared folders in a HomeGroup.

• Press Windows key, type troubleshooting
      and select it.
    • Click on View all in the left pane and click on
      HomeGroup
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 6, 2020
  4. New computer network discovery problem

Cannot keep Network Discovery Enabled.

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

I would suggest that you change the settings in the Firewall to allow Network discovery so that the Firewall stays On while allowing the Network discovery to be enabled.

Follow the steps.

a . Open Control panel.

b. Small icons from the drop down.

c. Click on Windows Firewall.

d. Click on Allow programs or feature through Firewall.

e. Scroll the list and check Network Discovery.

If you need additional assistance then let us know.

Ruth Buruga, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

New computer network discovery problem

1. New computer network discovery problem - Similar Threads - computer network discovery

2. Network discovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network discovery: I am using Windows 10. I have set up a disk drive on the Wi-Fi router, but I cannot see it on Windows file explorer under Network. Even though I turn on network discovery, I still cannot see my network devices. Please help! Thank you so much.b...
  3. network discovery problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    network discovery problem: Windows Pro 10, with latest updates applied. I have an annoying problem. Sometimes when I click on network in the file explorer ap, I get shown a computer on the network that is not part of my local network. One such name is PIX-STAR-70d09. If I click on that computer, I get...
  4. Network Discovery

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Discovery: I have a server running windows server 2008 r2 and the network discovery is on. On why windows 10 pc I don't see it. I can see my windows 10 machine on the server-side but not the other way. Any solutions, or suggestions. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. submitted by...
  5. network discovery

network discovery: I am trying to add a printer connected to another PC, both win10Pro although I can see the other pc when I try to connect the printer get a message saying contact network admin for permissions. Pc #2 has been shared, same with printer, files and sharing activated, I read...
  6. Network discovery problem

Network discovery problem: I have 4 computers all connected to a switch via ethernet cable. The switch is ethernet connected to the router/modem and all IP address are reserved/administered in the router by the individual MAC address of each computer. All computers are win 10 pro, either ver 1803 or...
  7. Network Discovery.

Network Discovery.: Network Discovery. I added a USB memory stick to my router (as suggested by Computer Active) I tried to access it from my laptop by trying \\192.168.1.1 (My router default gateway) as suggested in the article. It came back with Network Discovery must be switched on - - - - -...
  8. Network discovery - Windows computers missing

Network discovery - Windows computers missing: I know this question has been asked (and answered) many times but I'm still confused. I understand that some kind of discovery process that Windows used to local other Windows devices on a LAN depended on SMB 1 and that is disabled by default in Win10. And that is fine with...
  9. Computer Not Showing Up in Network Discovery

Computer Not Showing Up in Network Discovery: So, I have had this issue since 1709 and 1803 hasn't fixed the issue. So I have a Mac Pro set up as a server, and on my Surface I can see the shares and access it just fine. But when I go to my Gaming Computer which is all connected to the same network it can't seem to find...
  10. Network Discovery not finding computers consistently

Network Discovery not finding computers consistently: Small business with 2 Windows 10 and 2 WIndows 7 systems. Also a server running 2012sbs. From the Windows 10 systems, when we click on Windows Explorer, and then Network, the server sometimes shows up and sometimes doesn't on one system, and NEVER shows up on the other....