Windows 10: New Computer requires new Motherboard - Possible Corrupted Primary

Discus and support New Computer requires new Motherboard - Possible Corrupted Primary in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Howdy Folks! *Smile :: My new computer came with a bad motherboard *Sad which will be replaced tomorrow by a Dell technician. ~ Prior to the crash I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jdUnionngarden, May 21, 2019.

1. New Computer requires new Motherboard - Possible Corrupted Primary

Howdy Folks! *Smile
    ::
    My new computer came with a bad motherboard *Sad which will be replaced tomorrow by a Dell technician.
    ~
    Prior to the crash I created a Macrium verified Primary image file on an external drive. However I don't have a Macrium Rescue Disk.
    ~
    Due to events leading up to the crash I have concerns my system files may be corrupted.
    ~
    I have a Recovery USB created shortly after setting up the machine per Dell's manual, but am not 100% sure it will work. (Old 32 GB USB 2.0)
    ~
    I want to be prepared for the worst ...
    ~
    Can I download Windows PE on my laptop and use it on the desktop, or must the WinPE be made on the computer it's restoring?
    ::
    All comments will be very much appreciated!
    Thanks to All in advance,
    *Cool

:)

jdUnionngarden, May 21, 2019

2. Reactivating Windows 10 with new motherboard

Plugging it into the new motherboard should be enough, but create a recovery drive in case you need to perform a startup repair:

The fact that you don't have a license key concerns me. If Windows 10 came preinstalled on your computer, you can't transfer it to a new computer or motherboard. You will need to purchase an entirely new license.

Learn more about transferring licenses:

Andre Da Costa, May 21, 2019
  3. New motherboard

How was Windows 10 setup on your computer?

Was it the free upgrade to Windows 10 from a preinstalled OEM Windows 7 or Windows 8 license?

If it was, then you can't transfer it to a new motherboard.

Was it the free upgrade to Windows 10 from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license?

Then, yes, you can transfer it.

If its retail, the first thing I would make sure you do is link your license to your Microsoft Account:

Shutdown your computer, open the system unit, remove the old motherboard, install the new motherboard, connect your hard disk, then boot the system.

Windows 10 will automatically reconfigure itself then boot up.

Sign in.

If Windows 10 does not automatically reactivate, you can wait a few days.

If not, open Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Troubleshoot

Sign in

Click Next, then choose your computer from the list of machines.

Andre Da Costa, May 21, 2019
  4. New Computer requires new Motherboard - Possible Corrupted Primary

is it possible to hand build a motherboard?

Might I suggest you simply build a computer, making notes and taking pictures step by step. Most people (probably including your teacher) have no idea even where to start building a computer. You'll do fine, and if you get stuck we're here to help ya out! *Toast :toast:

thoughtdisorder, May 21, 2019
Thema:

New Computer requires new Motherboard - Possible Corrupted Primary

1. New Computer requires new Motherboard - Possible Corrupted Primary - Similar Threads - Computer requires Motherboard

2. New Motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New Motherboard: So I bought some new pc parts, had some hardware failure. Now with the new parts, the main problem being the motherboard, I can't reactivate my copy of windows 10. I went through all the steps necessary to attempt to reactivate it, none are working. I even spoke to 2...
  3. new motherboard and new drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    new motherboard and new drive: How to get all the file icons back in the list for easy acces from F:// drive (my old drive) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-motherboard-and-new-drive/f82e7314-da5d-4a86-965f-8a2b0d526660
  4. New motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New motherboard: I may need a new motherboard although I am not yet 100% sure. My current system was migrated from XP to Windows 10 some time ago. Will I need a new Windows 10 licence or can I use the old XP product key....
  5. Showcasing new computing possibilities at IFA 2018

in Windows 10 News
    Showcasing new computing possibilities at IFA 2018: This year at IFA, we get another glimpse into what the future may hold as technology evolves and, more tangibly, the devices consumers will have in hand. This week, we’ve seen numerous partners announce new and innovative modern devices that allow people to achieve more. To...
  6. New motherboard.

New motherboard.: I installed a new motherboard and Activation failed with can't reach MS Servers. After a clean install today using the trouble shooter and it Activated 58847
  7. New Motherboard and Reactivation

New Motherboard and Reactivation: I did a clean install using the free upgrade offer a few weeks ago. Sorry to say, but it really looks like I will need a new motherboard, same make and model, but will be leaving everything else the same. Do you think Microsoft will reactivate it afterwards? If not, I...
  8. New motherboard & Processor

New motherboard & Processor: I have Windows 10 Home Anniversary update. I installed this OS by a free upgrade from Windows 7. I want to take the hard drive and put it in another tower that has a different motherboard, memory, and processor. What will I have to do to make sure the OS stays activated? 93672
  9. New motherboard and CPU

in Windows 10 Support
    New motherboard and CPU: Ok I think I am having to give up on what on earth is wrong with my Ivy Bridge build (2012) and replace the board (and CPU) with either of these Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming3 ATX 1151 Motherboard GA-Z170X-Gaming3 | shopping express online (impressive price) or Gigabyte...
  10. Is it possible to move W10 to a new motherboard?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to move W10 to a new motherboard?: Hi there! I have Windows 10 in my current PC (upgraded some months ago from Windows 7). However, this computer doesn't have a good performance when playing video games — or at least, not the desired performance. I was thinking about changing the CPU. Nonetheless, my...