Windows 10: New computer: transfer license

Discus and support New computer: transfer license in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My antique pc died today and I'm now working on a new HP Pavilion which came with Win 10 Home. I have a recent iso DVD of Win 10 Pro and plan on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by tcebob, Jun 5, 2017.

1. tcebob Win User

New computer: transfer license

My antique pc died today and I'm now working on a new HP Pavilion which came with Win 10 Home. I have a recent iso DVD of Win 10 Pro and plan on installing it. How can I transfer my license?

:)

tcebob, Jun 5, 2017

2. Windows 10 deactivated itself

Transferring your license depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

In your case, you need to purchase a new full license.

Andre Da Costa, Jun 5, 2017
  3. Upgrading parts in my Win 10 computer

Unfortunately, changing the motherboard will invalidate the license.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

Andre Da Costa, Jun 5, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Do you have a 10 Pro key?

If not, were you running version 1607 or later and logging in with MS account.

Do you still have old hdd - you may be able to extract 10 Pro key from it?

cereberus, Jun 5, 2017
  5. tcebob Win User
    Old hdd says need formatting, so I think it's dead. I think I do have a product key somewhere; I'll look for it.

tcebob, Jun 5, 2017
  6. tcebob Win User
    Found a key. But it's from 8/15 and may be superseded. Won't know until I try.

tcebob, Jun 8, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Product keys don't expire with time. They do get blocked from overuse, though.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New computer: transfer license - Similar Threads - computer transfer license

2. License Transfer new PC build

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    License Transfer new PC build: Hello All, I'm hoping the answer is yes however I would like to check if anyone has experience of the following - I've had the same PC for quite a long time now, and have in that time switched to using an SSD, new graphics and memory, motherboard has not changed. Originally...
  3. Transfer Digital License To A New PC

Transfer Digital License To A New PC: So a few months ago I purchased Windows 10 Home from the Microsoft Store so I have a Digital License rather than a product key, my old PC unfortunately broke and I cannot log into it anymore so I bought a new one, after logging into my account it doesn't seem to want to...
  4. Transferring Digital License to new PC

Transferring Digital License to new PC: Hello, I have been trying to activate Windows 10 on my new computer using the digital license I have connected to my Microsoft account. I bought Windows 10 Pro digitally from Microsoft a few years ago and have been running it on my laptop since. My new desktop is meant to...
  5. Can you transfer a Windows 10 license to a new computer?

Can you transfer a Windows 10 license to a new computer?: Hello, I've just built a new computer and I want to transfer a digital license from my laptop to the new PC. The license is linked to my Microsoft account and I lost my original key. Is there any way to transfer that license to my new PC? thanks...
  6. Unable to transfer license to "new" PC

Unable to transfer license to "new" PC: Hello, Recently I purchased a few new components for my computer, which include a new Motherboard (B250M from Gigabyte), 16GB DDR4 memory, an i5-6500 and a 256GB M.2 NVMe SSD, I wanted to boot on the M.2 so I had to reinstall windows, I have a digital license for Windows...
  7. Transfer Windows 10 license from old dead computer to new computer?

Transfer Windows 10 license from old dead computer to new computer?: I have an old computer that died, which was running Windows 10. I have another computer that my dad gifted to me, but I want to transfer the license from my old computer to the gifted computer. Unfortunately, I don't know where I stored the old Windows Product Key. I've...
  8. Digital License transfer to a new pc

Digital License transfer to a new pc: Greetings, I want to transfer my Windows 10 digital license to a new laptop which has shipped with pre-installed MS DOS. My old laptop had shipped with pre-installed Windows 8.1 which I upgraded to Windows 10 Home (single language) using the free offer available during that...
  9. transfer digital licenses between computers

transfer digital licenses between computers: Hi I have 4 computers, 3 with win10 pro and one with home. I would like to transfer one of the computers to the home device as it's my newest laptop. I do not know what type of license I have, oem or retail etc... I know they were all upgraded from win7 to 8 to 10.......
  10. Transferring license to new computer

Transferring license to new computer: Activation is a popular topic, but perhaps my situation is slightly different from other situations. I have been using an HP XW4400, but when Windows 8 first became available in October of 2012 I performed a clean install. (This was the $40 offer for the Pro version.) When...