Windows 10: New computer with same microsoft login as old computer. Can't migrate system

Discus and support New computer with same microsoft login as old computer. Can't migrate system in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I downloaded and installed Win 10 to a new computer from Microsoft so that I could use PC Trans to migrate my system and accounts and files from my old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LarryKalajainen, Jun 11, 2020.

1. New computer with same microsoft login as old computer. Can't migrate system

I downloaded and installed Win 10 to a new computer from Microsoft so that I could use PC Trans to migrate my system and accounts and files from my old machine to my new machine. However, since my email address and password are the same, PC Trans thinks they're the same machine and wants to transfer only to itself. How do I correct this? Should I make one machine a local account rather than administrator? If so, which one--the old machine or the new one? Should I use a secondary email as primary for the new machine and then change it back when everything is migrated? Help.

Also, although my new machine with only Windows on it connected immediately to my Wireless network, but doesn't show up in File Explorer even though the IP address and computer name are different.

:)

LarryKalajainen, Jun 11, 2020
  2. LUVSITE Win User

Migration from old computer to new computer

My old computer is dying and I am about to buy a new one. I am a 73 year old disabled vet with difficulties and I need a migration program that will transfer everything for me. I understand they will not transfer security programs. I prefer to move everything
    from the old computer to a backup external hard drive, then move everything from the external drive to the new computer. Can someone recommend the best migration program for this?

LUVSITE, Jun 11, 2020
  3. Migrating old Win 10 system to New computer

My granddaughter's old laptop has a fried motherboard and she has many Apps and files for graphics work (no games) that she needs to transfer to a new laptop computer. There is an older backup but alas not a recent one.

The existing hard drive has the free Win 10 update (from Win 8) and I was hoping to migrate the whole System/Apps/Data to the new computer but the hard drive is an MBR disk and the new computer is UEFI and won't boot the old drive which I have connected
    with a USB enclosure while changing the boot type to Legacy. Presently, I have no means to access the old drive system, but can read the files as an external USB hard drive. There is a lot of data and older graphics apps that would take forever to re-establish
    individually to the new drive.

My options are:

1.) Backup the old hard drive and restore to a GPT disk, but the new computer can only read it as an external drive, and probably not the system.

2.) Copy the old hard drive to new hard drive but this will lose App settings in the registry.

3.) Convert the old drive from MBR to GPT if possible without losing Apps data and settings.

4.) Magic? - other suggestions would be appreciated.

My grand daughter is paranoid that any of the above will cause loss of data/settings, and I am trying to be her knight in shining armour, with arts college starting in a few days.

Michael

mfoster3139, Jun 11, 2020
  4. wals4 Win User

New computer with same microsoft login as old computer. Can't migrate system

Migration to a new computer

All this makes sense. The new computer has all the latest Office apps (Word, Exel, Outlook, Powerpoint, etc.) so they can just grab whatever files I need from OneDrive. I still have a few files on the hard drive but as you say I can copy and paste those
    into the new machine. I plan to continue use of the old computer, but of course in a limited capacity. I guess the favorites list on Microsoft Edge can migrate the same copy-and-paste way --- I've spent a long time accumulating links on that favorites list.

Thanks much

wals4, Jun 11, 2020
Thema:

New computer with same microsoft login as old computer. Can't migrate system

1. New computer with same microsoft login as old computer. Can't migrate system - Similar Threads - computer same microsoft

2. New Computer old Microsoft Software

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Computer old Microsoft Software: I must buy a new desktop computer as my old unit is 15 years old. Can I reinstall my bought Microsoft Office 2010 and Microsoft Publisher 2007 onto my new computer? I'm not buying these programs again. Please let me know......
  3. New Computer old Microsoft Software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Computer old Microsoft Software: I must buy a new desktop computer as my old unit is 15 years old. Can I reinstall my bought Microsoft Office 2010 and Microsoft Publisher 2007 onto my new computer? I'm not buying these programs again. Please let me know......
  4. Migrate from Old Windows 7 Computer to New Windows 10 Computer

Migrate from Old Windows 7 Computer to New Windows 10 Computer: I'm helping my daughters family move from he old W7 laptop to a new W10 laptop. The old one only had her user account. The new one will have additional users.I'm tried to determine the best approach to move data and programs from the old to new laptop and set up new users....
  5. migrating from old computer to new computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    migrating from old computer to new computer: I used zinstall to migrate. It took many hours to migrate and when it was done the new computer had a new name and the new user account only had 4 items in it. I looked around and found the old user account along with partial copies of the old user. What I want to know is how...
  6. Old to new computer in system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old to new computer in system: Hello. When I try to get an app in my MS account it states it is downloading to my old computer not my mew one. It downloads but does it matter? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-to-new-computer-in-system/187f43c9-ad1d-4c76-81fb-2c2cff0ace5e
  7. Migration to a new computer

Migration to a new computer: I have a Windows 10 OS on my current computer. I bought a new computer with Windows 10 installed. I want to migrate files/apps/programs from the old computer to the new one in the simplest way possible without investing in any transfer software. Many of my files/documents are...
  8. Migration from old computer to new computer

Migration from old computer to new computer: My old computer is dying and I am about to buy a new one. I am a 73 year old disabled vet with difficulties and I need a migration program that will transfer everything for me. I understand they will not transfer security programs. I prefer to move everything from the old...
  9. Migrating to new computers

Migrating to new computers: We need to migrate our data and programs to new computers. One source computer runs XP, the other runs Win 10 Pro x64 (winver 1703); both destination computers run Win 10 Pro x64. What's the best way to go about it? I understand there is software designed to help. 88869
  10. Migrate to new computer

Migrate to new computer: My daughter just upgraded her Surface Pro 2 to a Surface Pro 4. Is there an easy way to migrate all her info/programs/data to the new computer? 66290