Windows 10: New computer with two new small, it was a bargain drives, old computer with two big new drives

Discus and support New computer with two new small, it was a bargain drives, old computer with two big new drives in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi! I just bought a new win10 computer but the deal forced me to skimp on the storage. It only came with a 500gb NVMe and a 1tb HDD. My old computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MadCellist, Jan 9, 2021.

1. New computer with two new small, it was a bargain drives, old computer with two big new drives

Hi!

I just bought a new win10 computer but the deal forced me to skimp on the storage. It only came with a 500gb NVMe and a 1tb HDD. My old computer has a 1TB ssd and a 4 TB HDD.

The win 10 install on the old computer, while only a year old, is acting a little flaky so I am afraid to use it as the boot drive in the new computer.

Is there any way to put these two drives to the new computer without having to uninstall and reinstall 7 years worth of programs?

I'm not sure of the best course because I frankly did not think this all the way through.

Maybe I cut my losses and just try to transfer data. What happened to the windows easy transfer tool?

Thanks, please don't make sport of me, I haven't been able to afford a new computer in 7 years. Not sure how I just managed it now.

MC

:)

MadCellist, Jan 9, 2021

2. Can I install an old hard drive from an old computer on a new computer?

I have a 640 GB HDD from my old computer and would like to know if I can install it on my new desktop without issues. The connections match but not sure if the new computer will try and booth-up from the old hard drive. the new
    computer is running Window 10. Can anyone let me know if this is at all posable or should I just invest in a new hard drive, and if it is posable, what are the steps I need to follow. Thanks

MichaelButigieg, Jan 9, 2021
  3. xarzu Win User
    new system old hard drive...

I have an old hard drive that has those old ribbon connections to transfer data to the mother board.

I have a new computer that mostly uses those cool little ATA (I think that is what they are called) connections.

The new computer has a Vista OS.

I opened up the case and I was supprised to see on the motherboard a wide ribbon connection and so I connected the old hard drive and a free power connection.

When I turned on the computer, the system started up like usual and did not notice the new hard drive.

I went to the Control Pannel and did an automatic add hard drive call and it did not find the old hard drive.

Any suggestions?

xarzu, Jan 9, 2021
  4. GlynParry Win User

New computer with two new small, it was a bargain drives, old computer with two big new drives

Old Hard drive to new hard drive

I now have my old hard drive converted to an external drive and am wondering what is the best way to move files from the old to the new. I was thinking of booting the old drive and saving the files I want to the cloud and then downloading them to my new
    computer. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

GlynParry, Jan 9, 2021
Thema:

New computer with two new small, it was a bargain drives, old computer with two big new drives

1. New computer with two new small, it was a bargain drives, old computer with two big new drives - Similar Threads - computer small was

2. old hard drive and a new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    old hard drive and a new computer: I have what I think is a basic question, but I'm not sure. I just bought a new computer. It has not yet arrived. When it does, I want to put my old SSD into the new computer because it has my programs, files, etc. My issue is that the old SSD has Windows 10 installed on...
  3. Getting new computer soon, is it safe to partition an external hard drive in two. One drive...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Getting new computer soon, is it safe to partition an external hard drive in two. One drive...: So I'm getting a new computer soon. I will be installing Windows 10 on it and want to transfer all my old files from my old computer to the new one. I have a 250 GB external hard drive. Is it safe to partition the hard drive into two volumes? One volume will contain the...
  4. Put old boot drive in new computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Put old boot drive in new computer: So I pulled an old windows 10 boot drive out of a computer and put it in a new build. It won't let me access the user file on that drive. Says "you currently don't have permission to access this folder - click continue to permanently get access to this folder". I click...
  5. Installing old data drive in new computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Installing old data drive in new computer: My current laptop has two SSD drives both SATA interface. The C: drive for operating system and programs and a D: drive for all my data. In a few days, I'll be receiving my new HP laptop. It comes with an M2 SSD 512GB and a 1TB HDD SATA interface. I plan on using the new...
  6. Old Hard Drive, New Computer Help!

Old Hard Drive, New Computer Help!: I have taken an older HDD from a previous computer. I am not sure if it was a boot drive in the older computer or not. I don’t need to keep anything on it. I just need the extra storage in my new computer. When i am in file explorer looking at it. It says it only has a 98.9...
  7. One Drive on two computers

One Drive on two computers: How does One Drive handle two computers on same MS acct? I'm mainly switching to my new computer #2 so would like to transfer files, but want to keep #1 for occasional use. Right now One Drive on computer 2 (the new one) shows the Documents folder from computer 1, with...
  8. installing old hard drive in new computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    installing old hard drive in new computer: I have an old hard dive from a laptop that was driven over in traffic. I bought a hard drive less exact replacement computer. I put the old drive in and it all works but now have an unlicensed copy of windows 10 pro....
  9. new / old computer

in Windows 10 Support
    new / old computer: A friend found it on the shelf and gave it to me (ex hubby's) while it was bought used , it hadn't even been Activated . She couldn't find the adapter but that wasn't a problem, I have a couple of adapters that worked. (She's and Apple and penguin fan) It hadn't been...
  10. New computer. Allocating drives.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New computer. Allocating drives.: Hello, I am new to this forum (Thank you for letting me be part of this Forum group) and to my new computer Desktop running Win 10 Pro (Intel i7-7700K processor). The new computer has three HDs. One 256Gb SSD (designated c*Smile containing the OS and all my apps (e.g....