Windows 10: New computer: Wrong directories and excessive disk space usage

Discus and support New computer: Wrong directories and excessive disk space usage in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I transferredmy files to a new computer, but during the process it changed the directorystructure on my new computer. I am notWindows fluent, so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Virgil Reality, Apr 11, 2021.

1. New computer: Wrong directories and excessive disk space usage

I transferredmy files to a new computer, but during the process it changed the directorystructure on my new computer. I am notWindows fluent, so please excuse me if I describe something incorrectly.

Old computer:

Windows C:-> Users -> {my [COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]correct[/COLOR] user name} -> {my files}

New computer:

Desktop ->{my [COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]correct[/COLOR] user name} -> {my files}

and:

This PC ->Windows C: -> Users -> {[COLOR=rgba215, 57, 0, 1]wrong[/COLOR] user name} -> {my files}

Both of the latter seem topoint to the same actual files perhaps linked pointers?.

Also, the filetransfer created a new directory structure:

This PC ->Windows C: -> Users -> {[COLOR=rgba215, 57, 0, 1]wrong[/COLOR] user name} -> OneDrive ->{subdirectories}

I do not wishto use OneDrive; however, I have not yet deleted the OneDrive directories orprogram since I want to ensure I do not remove any items until I can be certainI may do so without losing my desired files.

My concern is thatthe files on my old computer used approximately193 GB, but the same files on my new computer are using 549 GB and that“wasted” extra used space is problematic.

Pleaseadvise me if the above confusion can be untangled without my doing something“drastic” I do not feel comfortable going into the registry.

:)

Virgil Reality, Apr 11, 2021

2. Un-accounted for disk usage on new computer

I performed a Windows update and the disk usage read out self-corrected.

After the update, I have a Windows.old directory. Is it safe to remove this directory to free up 23GBs of space?

Thanks,

Bob

twopoint71, Apr 11, 2021
  3. FatCake Win User
    Disk space usage bar in My Computer is missing (Only One Hard Drive)

Hi,

So recently i have installed a new SSD into my Desktop computer. All Hard Drives are working fine.

However one SSD doesn't display the disk usage in "This Computer". I was wondering why and also how can i fix this please?

I have attached a screen shot to show what i mean.
    New computer:  Wrong directories and excessive disk space usage [​IMG]

I have already tried the following.
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/di...c-my-computer/

Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated please.

FatCake, Apr 11, 2021
  4. Edwin Win User

New computer: Wrong directories and excessive disk space usage

Disk space usage bar in My Computer is missing (Only One Hard Drive)

Shorten the name of the drive.

Edwin, Apr 11, 2021
Thema:

New computer: Wrong directories and excessive disk space usage

1. New computer: Wrong directories and excessive disk space usage - Similar Threads - computer Wrong directories

2. Disk space on PC is wrong

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk space on PC is wrong: I have a laptop with 221 GB free space, however when i check disk space I only have 48.6 GB left despite barely having ANY apps installed on my computer.The ones I do have are NOT taking up that large amount of space either.I have always struggled with this and it is...
  3. Disk space on PC is wrong

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk space on PC is wrong: I have a laptop with 221 GB free space, however when i check disk space I only have 48.6 GB left despite barely having ANY apps installed on my computer.The ones I do have are NOT taking up that large amount of space either.I have always struggled with this and it is...
  4. Disk space on PC is wrong

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Excessive 253 GB Disk Usage by Steam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excessive 253 GB Disk Usage by Steam: My HD is being consumed by Steam, it is using 253 GB out of 465 GB total, I might only have 157 GB worth of applications, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excessive-253-gb-disk-usage-by-steam/24fe38a0-ca49-4241-87ab-aadd79ada742
  6. Excessive 253 GB Disk Usage by Steam

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Excessive 253 GB Disk Usage by Steam: My HD is being consumed by Steam, it is using 253 GB out of 465 GB total, I might only have 157 GB worth of applications, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excessive-253-gb-disk-usage-by-steam/24fe38a0-ca49-4241-87ab-aadd79ada742
  7. Excessive disk usage since update yesterday

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Excessive disk usage since update yesterday: I seem to have excessive disk usage since yesterday. I restarted the computer ie. Restart; not just shut down and start and left it running all night and this morning still the excessive disk usage. See the Screen Shot below. Sometimes it gets up to 100% but rarely drops...
  8. Disk Space Wrong!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Space Wrong!: I tried to download a game today, after a Windows update, and I couldn't. Widows thinks my C: drive only has 26.2 GB from of 465 GB, when I should have 1TB. I don't know what to do. submitted by /u/Dark-Lark [link] [comments]...
  9. Low Disk Space on new computer

Low Disk Space on new computer: Computer is new and 21.8 GB taken up on 29GB disk. I tried to download windows 10 upgrade and I think it was already on the computer. The computer has never run correctly. I have reset the only thing and till shows all this disk drive taken up. thoughts??...
  10. MsMpEng.exe excessive disk usage problem.

MsMpEng.exe excessive disk usage problem.: I have a problem, when I start my computer the HD runs continuously to the point where nothing else can execute. This goes on for about 15 minutes and then everything is normal. Process Explorer seems to indicate that two apps (MsMpEng.exe and svchost.exe) are doing all the...