Windows 10: New content appearing in wrong documents folder

Discus and support New content appearing in wrong documents folder in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I went into "Settings" in Windows 11 and changed the location of new documents from the C drive to the D drive which has much more space. Since then, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Microsoft_consumer, Mar 31, 2023.

1. New content appearing in wrong documents folder

I went into "Settings" in Windows 11 and changed the location of new documents from the C drive to the D drive which has much more space. Since then, I have downloaded a couple of apps and noticed that new folders were created in the documents folder in the C -- and not D -- drive. For example, a Zoom folder was created in the documents folder in C. I do understand that I can go into the settings for those apps and change where data are stored, but I don't understand why this is not happening automatically after I made the changes in the Windows settings.

:)

Microsoft_consumer, Mar 31, 2023

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Mar 31, 2023
  3. Folders named "Documents" appear in more than one location

Yes, a third set of these folders appear in Quick Access which I imagine presents a list of aliases/shortcuts, but the contents of, for example, the Documents folder nested within This PC are different from the contents of the Documents folder nested deeper
    at This PC > OS (CNew content appearing in wrong documents folder :) > Users > User1.

I appear to have two sets of distinctly different folders named Documents, Downloads, Pictures and Desktop.

Davy.Mirror, Mar 31, 2023
  4. Rose Cal Win User

New content appearing in wrong documents folder

Suddenly, Documents folder has moved to Downloads

We appreciate the details you've provided. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to move your Documents Folder Location in Windows 10:

• You need to create a new folder named Documents at the location you want to move your personal Documents folder.
    • Press Win + E to open File Explorer, right-click
      Documents, and select Properties.
    • Select the Location tab and click the Move button.
    • Browse and select the new Documents folder at the location you want to move the folder Documents. Click the
      Select Folder.
    • Click OK to apply.
    • Click Yes to move all the files from the old location to the new location.
    • Your personal Documents folder and all of its contents will now be moved to the new location.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Mar 31, 2023
Thema:

New content appearing in wrong documents folder

1. New content appearing in wrong documents folder - Similar Threads - content appearing wrong

2. Contents of Documents folder vanished out of nowhere, now in OneDrive Documents folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Contents of Documents folder vanished out of nowhere, now in OneDrive Documents folder: Hi there,Upon returning to my laptop after a few hours, I noticed that a program stored in my documents folder wasn't launching. I looked in Documents and all of the contents except for 2 folders I used today are now gone and transferred to OneDrive even though I usually...
  3. Contents of Documents folder vanished out of nowhere, now in OneDrive Documents folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Contents of Documents folder vanished out of nowhere, now in OneDrive Documents folder: Hi there,Upon returning to my laptop after a few hours, I noticed that a program stored in my documents folder wasn't launching. I looked in Documents and all of the contents except for 2 folders I used today are now gone and transferred to OneDrive even though I usually...
  4. New content appearing in wrong documents folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New content appearing in wrong documents folder: I went into "Settings" in Windows 11 and changed the location of new documents from the C drive to the D drive which has much more space. Since then, I have downloaded a couple of apps and noticed that new folders were created in the documents folder in the C -- and not D --...
  5. Documents folder and contents completely missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents folder and contents completely missing: My documents folder has completely vanished without explanation. It is not in the recycle bin nor are its contents, but the entire folder including all contents is completely gone. The shortcut on the side of the File Explorer is still there, but when I click on it I get a...
  6. Documents folder and contents completely missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Documents folder and contents completely missing: My documents folder has completely vanished without explanation. It is not in the recycle bin nor are its contents, but the entire folder including all contents is completely gone. The shortcut on the side of the File Explorer is still there, but when I click on it I get a...
  7. documents folder appeared in pictures folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    documents folder appeared in pictures folder: a copy of the documents folder is in my pictures folder and I cant remove it. I have tried deleting it, I tried Properties>Choose the Location tab> click on restore default, and nothing I do can get it out of pictures. any ideas? [ATTACH]...
  8. Shortcut to inside Documents folder contents on taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shortcut to inside Documents folder contents on taskbar: On Windows 7 I used to have a Documents folder shortcut on my taskbar. I could just click that shortcut and bingo, I was inside my opened Documents folder where all my work is--not uncommon for users, I bet. On Windows 10 I haven't yet found a shortcut to the Documents folder...
  9. Lost documents folder contents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost documents folder contents: Hi, after an automatic Windows 10 update all my documents vanished from the Documents folder - I now believe this was because a temporary profile was set up. Unfortunately I found my documents and returned them to the "new" documents folder. After re-booting, the temporary...
  10. Contents of folder included in Documents Library not Displayed

in Windows 10 Support
    Contents of folder included in Documents Library not Displayed: I'm using Windows 10 on a Dell laptop with a SSD. I'm keeping many files on an external USB hard drive. I had included the external drive's Documents folder in my Documents library. The File Explorer displayed files and folders on both the internal SSD and the external drive...