Windows 10: New crash issues since Nvme drive clone replacement

Discus and support New crash issues since Nvme drive clone replacement in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I just replaced my SSD boot drive a few days ago with an Nvme drive and have since blue screened twice while playing Skyrim SE. I haven't yet updated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Merrlin, May 10, 2021.

1. Merrlin Win User

New crash issues since Nvme drive clone replacement

I just replaced my SSD boot drive a few days ago with an Nvme drive and have since blue screened twice while playing Skyrim SE. I haven't yet updated the Nvidia graphics drivers since a recent restore, as the latest drivers seem to have issues loading tbmalloc.dll and buffout4.dll for Fallout 4, although I can't get those to load anyway, so may just go ahead update the drivers anyways. Here is the crash zip and Whocrashed log. Thanks for your time and assistance. Dropbox - WIZZARD-(2021-05-10_01-32-56).zip - Simplify your life

:)

Merrlin, May 10, 2021

2. Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?

I have a 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD (boot drive) that I want to replace with a higher capacity M.2 card.

Where do I put the new SSD during the NVMe to NVMe cloning process? My mobo only has one M.2 slot for NVMe SSD's so do I want to use an external adapter for one of the M.2 cards? If so, do you have a recommendation?

If you have solved this issue for your desktop or laptop I would like your advice on if and what extra hardware you needed during the cloning.

please remember that I am dealing with PCIe NVMe drives ONLY. NO Sata is involved except possibly for a connecting cable from the desktop to an adapter. I am experienced with cloning SATA III drives but cloning NVMe is a little
    new to me.

Computer: Dell XPS 8920, 32GB ram.

Present SSD: KXG50ZNV512G NVMe Toshiba 512GB

New SSD: CT13049074 Crucial P1 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD 1TB (or 2TB if available soon) or similar storage device.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 1809.

Cbarnhorst, May 10, 2021
  3. replacing C: with larger M.2 NVme drive and move programs installed on D: to the new M.2 drive

I have a DELL Desktop Computer XPS XPS8920-7581SLV-PUS Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700 desktop running Windows 10 Pro with the Toshiba 250 GB M.2 NVme drive as the C: drive and a 1TB hard disk as the D: drive. I have installed a couple of games and applications to the D: drive due to the size of the install files.

I am now planning to replace the Toshiba 250 GB M.2 drive with a Samsung 500 GB 970 EVO M.2 NVme drive.

The procedure I plan to use is to:

• clone the Toshiba drive to a new Western Digital SSD installed in a hard disk bay
    • replace the Toshiba with the Samsung
    • clone the new SSD back to the Samsung

At that point I should have a bootable C: on the Samsung NVme drive.

The next step would be to move the games and applications from the 1TB hard disk to the Samsung NVme drive since I now have the space for them.

However it is not really possible to just move installed applications due to all the Registry changes that would be needed.

The two applications are Visual Studio 2015 and 2017 (both Community Edition) and the games are World of Warcraft, Destiny 2, and Fallout 4 (the last being a Steam download).

So I am looking for advice on these changes.

Alternative approaches

It seems that I have a couple of options:

• clone the 1TB hard disk to the new SSD and just use the new SSD as D:
    • uninstall the games and applications then reinstall them to the new C:
    • create a D: partition on the new NVme drive and copy the installation folders there

The easiest approach would seem to be to clone the 1TB drive to the new SSD as D: and move on. However I would be missing out on the NVme goodness with the games as well as the Visual Studio programming environment.

The most straightforward approach would be to uninstall the games and applications from the 1TB hard disk and then reinstall them to the C: drive.

The applications are Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio 2017, both Community Edition. These would both be straightforward to uninstall from D: and reinstall to C:.

The games are World of Warcraft and Destiny 2 from Blizzard and Fallout 4 from Steam. These games will require long download time probably two or three days over my internet access. And I would have to start Fallout 4 all over again.

Concluding thoughts

Perhaps the best option would be to combine the first two options.

Since the Visual Studio uninstall and install would be fairly painless I could do that while leaving the games on the 1TB drive and then do the clone of the 1TB drive to the new SSD. Then at a later date I could move World of Warcraft and Destiny 2 over to the NVme drive.

I would think that working with Visual Studio would be easier and quicker from the NVme C: drive while the games would be quick and responsive enough if the game assets are on an SSD.

Richard Chambers, May 10, 2021
  4. New crash issues since Nvme drive clone replacement

replacing C: with larger M.2 NVme drive and move programs installed on D: to the new M.2 drive

What I have decided to do to replace the existing Toshiba NVme 256GB drive (CNew crash issues since Nvme drive clone replacement :) with a new Samsung EVO 970 NVme 500GB drive (CNew crash issues since Nvme drive clone replacement :). I also decided that I wanted only a single drive letter partition on this new drive.

Looking at the existing Toshiba NVme drive there were six different partitions on the drive which included the actual C: drive, an image partition and a couple of support tools partitions for Dell Support. I wanted to keep all partitions but to make the actual C: drive partition larger while keeping the other partitions the same size.

The procedure I used was to replace the 1TB hard disk with a new Western Digital 500GB Solid State Drive to use for the cloning operations. The procedure used was:

• clone the Toshiba NVme drive to the WD SSD, adjusting the partitions as needed
    • replace the Toshiba NVme 256GB drive with the Samsung EVO 970 NVme 500GB drive
    • clone the WD SSD to the Samsung EVO 970 NVme drive, adjusting partitions as needed

The first problem I ran into was finding cloning software that would work.

I first tried using the Acronis tool available from the Western Digital website. However that tool requires a restart of the computer after setting the cloning parameters and during the restart the actual cloning is done.

However during the restart and cloning step an error dialog displayed indicating that a drive was not ready. The result was I was unable to complete the cloning operation from the Toshiba NVme drive to the Western Digital SSD. I had the option to ignore the error and continue but I elected to cancel out to be on the safe side.

I believe the problem with the Acronis tool was due to the necessary drivers were not available to the tool. This leads me to think that the Acronis tool is best for applications involving SATA drives such as one hard disk to another, one SSD to another, or between a hard disk and an SSD.

Next I tried Samsung Magician which flatly refused to even start since neither the Toshiba NVme drive nor the WD SSD was a Samsung drive.

Next I tried using Macrium Reflex trial version and that worked just fine. The Macrium Reflex does not do a restart and clone but does the cloning while Windows is running and I think that this allows Macrium to work since the NVme device drivers are available.

I found both the Acronis and the Macrium Reflex user interface a bit unintuitive in modifying the partition size for the C: drive partition. The interface is a kind of drag and drop however it appears that you can modify a partition size only on the last partition you dragged over. Otherwise partitions are just put in one after the other and there will be unallocated space at the end.

My actual procedure was:

• install the Macrium Reflex application to C: drive, the Toshiba NVme drive
    • shutdown the PC, move the SATA and power connectors from the 1TB hard disk to the new SSD
    • power up the PC
    • run the Macrium Reflex to clone from the Toshiba to the SSD
    • shutdown the PC
    • replace the existing Toshiba NVme drive with the Samsung EVO 970 NVme drive
    • power up the PC which booted from the SSD since the NVme drive was uninitialized
    • run the Macrium Reflex to clone from the SSD to the Samsung NVme drive
    • shutdown the PC, move the SATA and power connectors from the SSD back to the 1TB hard disk
    • power up the PC which booted from the Samsung NVme drive

At this point I have the new Samsung EVO 970 NVme as drive C: and the existing 1TB hard disk as drive D:. I plan to clone the 1TB hard disk to the 500GB Western Digital SSD in the next day or so.

Before I started this process, I took a look at where things were and discovered that Visual Studio was already installed on the Toshiba NVme C: drive rather than the 1TB hard disk. What is on the 1TB hard disk are the games and source code of Visual Studio projects.

I plan to try moving the World of Warcraft and Destiny 2 games from the D: drive (1TB hard disk) to the C: drive (Samsung NVme drive) to test how that works out.

Probably I will just then clone the 1TB hard disk to the Western Digital SSD and not worry about any other changes since the WD SSD is fairly fast anyway.

The result will be a C: drive in a partition of some 450GB on the Samsung NVme drive and a D: drive in a partition of similar size on the Western Digital SSD.

Other notes

The Samsung EVO 970 did not have a screw however I used the screw of the existing Toshiba NVme drive.

On the Dell XPS 8920 access to the NVme slot requires that the power supply cage be swung out and the installed graphics card be pulled. I required a second device to access the Dell support pages to refer to the procedure for these actions.

I did have a bad moment after replacing the Toshiba NVme drive with the unintialized Samsung NVme drive when on restarting the PC, I saw a text message about correcting the power connectors for the graphics card on the monitor. It turned out that the connector to the graphics connector was not properly seated as the connector from the motherboard was actually two pieces and the second smaller piece which was not integrated into the main connector block had not been fully seated. Once fixed, the PC booted and displayed the Windows sign-in prompt.

As I mentioned, the user interface for both the Acronis and the Macrium Reflex are somewhat unintuitive and I had to redo the clone settings several times in order to get what I wanted.

Also the Acronis tool from the Western Digital web site did not work with the Toshiba NVme drive.

My experience with Windows 10 was that Windows seemed to be able to automatically adjust to the change in the boot drive as well as the change of the drives such as going from hard disk to SSD as well as changing out the Toshiba NVme drive for the Samsung NVme drive.

What took the most time was working with the cloning software itself both when setting up the parameters for the cloning as well as having to download and install different cloning utilities.

Richard Chambers, May 10, 2021
Thema:

New crash issues since Nvme drive clone replacement

1. New crash issues since Nvme drive clone replacement - Similar Threads - crash issues since

2. PRoblems cloning an NVMe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PRoblems cloning an NVMe: I asked about this on Bleeping Computer two days ago, but didn't get a reply.I'm trying to clone a 250GB NVMe boot to a 2TB NVMe. I've done this successfully four times before, but I.m having problems this time, The other times I used a fresh new drive, this time I'm trying...
  3. PRoblems cloning an NVMe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PRoblems cloning an NVMe: I asked about this on Bleeping Computer two days ago, but didn't get a reply.I'm trying to clone a 250GB NVMe boot to a 2TB NVMe. I've done this successfully four times before, but I.m having problems this time, The other times I used a fresh new drive, this time I'm trying...
  4. Why can't I clone the EFI partition of my NVMe drive to a new NVme drivevia USB adapter on...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I clone the EFI partition of my NVMe drive to a new NVme drivevia USB adapter on...: For the past couple of days, I have been trying to clone my Intel H10 Optane 512GB NVMe drive to my Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe via a USB to m.2 adapter. After trying to clone over the disk on programs such as EaseUS Partition Manager, Aoemei Partition Manager, and Macrium...
  5. Installed new Nvme drive - cloned windows 10 to it but it won't boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installed new Nvme drive - cloned windows 10 to it but it won't boot: Hi My Motherboard a X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING-CF has two Nvme sockets but i want to add a third 1TB Nvme ssd. So I bought a Sabrent adapter card and a new 1TB WD black Nvme ssd. I added the new Sabrent adapter with the new WD 1TB in and cloned the windows system to it. I then...
  6. Disk cloning NVMe drives - veteren level - best cloning software?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Disk cloning NVMe drives - veteren level - best cloning software?: I'm currently posting this from a relatively high end laptop with three SSDs in it. I know how to clone hard drives and have done so for years. As a consultant, I went out and bought a SATA cloning port and would image my boot drives all day long. I simply cannot tolerate the...
  7. Disk cloning NVMe drives - veteren level - best cloning software?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk cloning NVMe drives - veteren level - best cloning software?: I'm currently posting this from a relatively high end laptop with three SSDs in it. I know how to clone hard drives and have done so for years. As a consultant, I went out and bought a SATA cloning port and would image my boot drives all day long. I simply cannot tolerate the...
  8. Is there an Issue with NVMe drives ?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Is there an Issue with NVMe drives ?: Hi I ran a hyper-v vm this morning and I tried to add a physical drive which I do regularly as I need to access the data on it. Up until today, that data has always been on an SSD but I recently moved all that data onto a new NVMe drive. The first time I tried, I added it...
  9. Cloning old system drive on sata SSD to a nvme SSD on a new rig.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning old system drive on sata SSD to a nvme SSD on a new rig.: Long story short, I need to clone the content of my old machine's sata SSD into my new machine's nvme SSD so I can continue using my current installation without losing my software, settings, personal files etc. I have a clone of my drive on another SSD at the moment for...
  10. Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?: I have a 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD (boot drive) that I want to replace with a higher capacity M.2 card. The issue is what hardware to use to clone the old drive to the new one. My mobo has one M.2 slot for SSD's so I want to use an external adapter for one of the M.2...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kxg50znv512g nvme