Windows 10: New D3D12 background shader optimizations for Windows 10 19H1

Discus and support New D3D12 background shader optimizations for Windows 10 19H1 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In the next update to Windows, codenamed 19H1, D3D12 will allow drivers to use idle priority background CPU threads to dynamically recompile shader... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Brink Win User

New D3D12 background shader optimizations for Windows 10 19H1

API details

Dynamic optimization state is controlled by a single new API:

Code: HRESULT ID3D12Device6::SetBackgroundProcessingMode(D3D12_BACKGROUND_PROCESSING_MODE Mode, D3D12_MEASUREMENTS_ACTION MeasurementsAction, HANDLE hEventToSignalUponCompletion, _Out_opt_ BOOL* FurtherMeasurementsDesired); enum D3D12_BACKGROUND_PROCESSING_MODE { D3D12_BACKGROUND_PROCESSING_MODE_ALLOWED, D3D12_BACKGROUND_PROCESSING_MODE_ALLOW_INTRUSIVE_MEASUREMENTS, D3D12_BACKGROUND_PROCESSING_MODE_DISABLE_BACKGROUND_WORK, D3D12_BACKGROUND_PROCESSING_MODE_DISABLE_PROFILING_BY_SYSTEM, }; enum D3D12_MEASUREMENTS_ACTION { D3D12_MEASUREMENTS_ACTION_KEEP_ALL, D3D12_MEASUREMENTS_ACTION_COMMIT_RESULTS, D3D12_MEASUREMENTS_ACTION_COMMIT_RESULTS_HIGH_PRIORITY, D3D12_MEASUREMENTS_ACTION_DISCARD_PREVIOUS, };[/quote]
    The BACKGROUND_PROCESSING_MODE setting controls what level of dynamic optimization will apply to GPU work that is submitted in the future:

• ALLOWED is the default setting. The driver may instrument workloads and dynamically recompile shaders in a low overhead, non-intrusive manner which avoids glitching the foreground workload.
    • ALLOW_INTRUSIVE_MEASUREMENTS indicates that the driver may instrument as aggressively as possible. Causing glitches is fine while in this mode, because the current work is being submitted specifically to train the system.
    • DISABLE_BACKGROUND_WORK means stop it! No background shader recompiles that chew up CPU cycles, please.
    • DISABLE_PROFILING_BY_SYSTEM means no, seriously, stop it for real! I’m doing an A/B performance comparison, and need the driver not to change ANYTHING that could mess up my results.
    MEASUREMENTS_ACTION, on the other hand, indicates what should be done with the results of earlier workload instrumentation:

• KEEP_ALL – nothing to see here, just carry on as you are.
    • COMMIT_RESULTS indicates that whatever the driver has measured so far is all the data it is ever going to see, so it should stop waiting for more and go ahead compiling optimized shaders. hEventToSignalUponCompletion will be signaled when all resulting compilations have finished.
    • COMMIT_RESULTS_HIGH_PRIORITY is like COMMIT_RESULTS, but also indicates the app does not care about glitches, so the runtime should ignore the usual idle priority rules and go ahead using as many threads as possible to get shader recompiles done fast.
    • DISCARD_PREVIOUS requests to reset the optimization state, hinting that whatever has previously been measured no longer applies.
    Note that the DISABLE_BACKGROUND_WORK, DISABLE_PROFILING_BY_SYSTEM, and COMMIT_RESULTS_HIGH_PRIORITY options are only available in developer mode.

What about PIX?

PIX will automatically use SetBackgroundProcessingMode, first to prime the system and then to prevent any further changes from taking place in the middle of its analysis. It will wait on an event to make sure all background shader recompiles have finished before it starts taking measurements.

Since this will be handled automatically by PIX, the detail is only relevant if you’re building a similar tool of your own:

Code: BOOL wantMoreProfiling = true; int tries = 0; while (wantMoreProfiling && ++tries < MaxPassesInCaseDriverDoesntConverge) { SetBackgroundProcessingMode( D3D12_BACKGROUND_PROCESSING_MODE_ALLOW_INTRUSIVE_MEASUREMENTS, (tries == 0) ? D3D12_MEASUREMENTS_ACTION_DISCARD_PREVIOUS : D3D12_MEASUREMENTS_ACTION_KEEP_ALL, null, null); // play back the frame that is being analyzed SetBackgroundProcessingMode( D3D12_BACKGROUND_PROCESSING_MODE_DISABLE_PROFILING_BY_SYSTEM, D3D12_MEASUREMENTS_ACTION_COMMIT_RESULTS_HIGH_PRIORITY, handle, &wantMoreProfiling); WaitForSingleObject(handle); } // play back the frame 1+ more times while collecting timing data, // recording GPU counters, doing A/B perf comparisons, etc.[/quote] [/quote]
    Source: New in D3D12 - background shader optimizations | DirectX Developer Blog

:)

Brink, Apr 18, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 18, 2019
  3. Disk optimization scheduling in Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• In search select Defragment and optimize drives

• Click on change settings

• In optimization schedule

• In frequency select the options accordingly.
    Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

`

Divya Murugan, Apr 18, 2019
  4. New D3D12 background shader optimizations for Windows 10 19H1

Windows 10 Task menu background transparency

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

Apologize for delay in reply.

As a workaround, I suggest you to change the desktop background/ remove the desktop background and check.

I suggest you to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
    • Select Add an Account.
    • Enter a user name and hit Next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    • Check if issue persists.

Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Apr 18, 2019
Thema:

New D3D12 background shader optimizations for Windows 10 19H1

1. New D3D12 background shader optimizations for Windows 10 19H1 - Similar Threads - D3D12 background shader

2. New Minecraft 1.16.200 update Shader Bug.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Minecraft 1.16.200 update Shader Bug.: Hey everyone reading this! Minecraft bedrock has a new 1.16.200 update that is very buggy on windows10. My shaders stopped working and its annoying anyone knows how to fix it? I tried downloading minecraft on phone and the shaders worked just fine. Please help. Also when I...
  3. Bonzomatic for Windows 10? (Live shader coding tool and Shader Showdown workhorse)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bonzomatic for Windows 10? (Live shader coding tool and Shader Showdown workhorse): Hi there! I am looking for instructions to make Bonzomatic for Windows 10 accessible to me. There are many shader programs, but I think this is the best way to do it. My problem is that I can find the application on several git-sites, but I can only download a zip-folder...
  4. So whats the deal with these new "19H1 and H2" versions of Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    So whats the deal with these new "19H1 and H2" versions of Windows 10?: I need to send a USB to a friend with Windows 10 pro key and ISO so he can build his first computer and i haven't touched my computer in a year and I last used 1809 to build my computer, so I have no idea what is up with these non redstone ISO versions I don't want my friend...
  5. Windows 10 19h1 Released date.

Windows 10 19h1 Released date.: Hi there I'm very excited about the new windows feature updates. So, I want to know when does it's publicly released and available. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-19h1-released-date/0ba82582-1864-4936-8609-97db02aad519
  6. New in D3D12 - GPU-Based Validation now available for Shader Model 6.x

in Windows 10 News
    New in D3D12 - GPU-Based Validation now available for Shader Model 6.x: In the next update to Windows, codenamed 19H1, the DirectX12 debug layer adds support for GPU-based validation (GBV) of shader model 6.x (DXIL) as well as the previously supported shader model 5.x (DXBC). GBV is a GPU timeline validation that modifies and injects validation...
  7. Windows 10 19H1 Evaluation Copy?

Windows 10 19H1 Evaluation Copy?: Alrighty. I just spent three days trying to upgrade from Win 10 whatever version it was to Windows 10 1903 (19H1). But now, all of a sudden, for no reason whatsoever that I can detect, it now says that I am running 19H1 evaluation version... I paid for my copy of Win 10. What...
  8. Task Manager to get a new feature with Windows 10 19H1 update

in Windows 10 News
    Task Manager to get a new feature with Windows 10 19H1 update: Task Manager is one of those things, many Windows users cannot live without, especially power users. With repeated Windows 10 updates, Microsoft has made it more useful and easy to use. Now Task Manager is getting another exciting new feature with the 19H1 update. Currently,...
  9. New 19H1 Achievement Badges for Windows 10 Insiders

in Windows 10 News
    New 19H1 Achievement Badges for Windows 10 Insiders: New achievement badges are now available for keeping your machine current with 19H1 Windows 10 Insider preview builds. Unlock each one by updating your machine with the number of builds indicated for that badge. [ATTACH] Badges are awarded weekly to Insiders. All Insider...
  10. Windows 10 optimization

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 optimization: Hi, I'm not having any notable issues, but I have a question for a little bit more experienced users. I've recently upgraded ram from 2 GB to 16 GB and installed a ssd which is awesome, but I don't have the best CPU in the world. So, I was wondering is there anyway I can...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shader model 5 download windows 10

2. win10 19H1 window decide which programs to run in the background