Windows 10: New Data Drive Upgrade Q

Discus and support New Data Drive Upgrade Q in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Picked up a terabyte WD_Blue to replace the OCZ 240 (H drive). This drive is not a boot drive but I do have all my games & a bunch of programs & data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Fantail, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Fantail Win User

New Data Drive Upgrade Q

Picked up a terabyte WD_Blue to replace the OCZ 240 (H drive). This drive is not a boot drive but I do have all my games & a bunch of programs & data on it. With only 20 or so gigs free - anyways the terabyte drive isn't necessarily faster but a needed upgrade.
    Since this is not a boot drive why not just do a basic partition - format and copy the entire disk. Then swap the drives & with management assign H to the drive. The question is will Steam, shortcuts or programs have a kitten with this plan on W10. Would utilizing Arcronis be a safer plan - thoughts?

:)

Fantail, Jan 25, 2020

2. Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown New Data Drive Upgrade Q :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Jan 25, 2020
  3. Reinstall Windows 10 to new hard drive

Hi Rodolpho,

We want to know about the issue you're having with your recovery drive. Please answer the questions below:

• Are you trying to reinstall Windows 8 or Windows 10?
    • If you already upgraded to Windows 10, were you able to create a new copy of the recovery drive?

We suggest creating a new copy of the recovery drive and then follow the steps provided by Andre Da Costa above this thread.

Update us with the outcome so we can assist you further.

Robert Caw, Jan 25, 2020
  4. NTM2003 Win User

New Data Drive Upgrade Q

Upgrading my data drive HDD

I am not the one actually set it up for me I had geek squad do it for me because I didn't want to mess it up. but the folders that are listed in the data drive is
    program data
    steam
    users
    windows apps
    razar soft wear

NTM2003, Jan 25, 2020
Thema:

New Data Drive Upgrade Q

1. New Data Drive Upgrade Q - Similar Threads - Data Drive Upgrade

2. Saving default data to a new D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Saving default data to a new D drive: I recently installed a new M.2 nvme ssd as D drive, and I will retain OS as E drive for Windows 11What's the difference between Changing where new content is saved in System Storage Setting vs Moving Folder Location in file explorer by right click on folder in C drive and...
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade / Mac Bootcamp Q

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Upgrade / Mac Bootcamp Q: I have a macbook pro 15-inch with Windows 8.1 Pro bootcamp. I recently got a new macbook pro 16-inch and am planning to set up bootcamp again. Can I install windows 10 on the new laptop and use the product key from my old laptop to activate windows 10 pro? submitted by...
  4. Installing old data drive in new computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Installing old data drive in new computer: My current laptop has two SSD drives both SATA interface. The C: drive for operating system and programs and a D: drive for all my data. In a few days, I'll be receiving my new HP laptop. It comes with an M2 SSD 512GB and a 1TB HDD SATA interface. I plan on using the new...
  5. Moving Data to New Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Moving Data to New Drive: I bought a new laptop that had a 256GB SSD and added a 500GB HDD as the data drive. Now, on occasion, I'm hearing a slight metallic clicking sound. (I believe it may be the HDD) Not wanting to take the chance of losing a bunch of data, I want to move it to another HDD that I...
  6. Q Drive is not accessible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Q Drive is not accessible: I put a memory card in my HP laptop to look for pics on it. For some reason the Q drive is not allowing access. It's probably been 4 - 6 months since I've used it. Can anyone tell me how to get it back please? Thanks, Micki...
  7. New to W10 - imaging Q

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    New to W10 - imaging Q: Hey all *Smile Have been using W7, where I have Acronis to image my C drive. What is the recommended way to image the C drive in W10? Is Acronis still a good way to go? Should I use the W10 imaging system - called ICD, I think? Thanks in advance. 74130
  8. Q's after Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Q's after Upgrade: Hello...... new W10Home user asks, Upgraded W8.1 today with Media Creation Tool (to lock in license). Lots of switches to Off and lots of bloat, ....I'll never use. Q1: anyway to remove Scan with Windows Defender from context menu. [img] Scan with Windows Defender...
  9. Upgrade to new drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to new drive: I have Windows 8.1 on a small hard drive, I am wondering can I upgrade my current installation to windows 10 on a larger hard drive and how would I do it. Cheers and Happy New Year. 35983
  10. Upgrade onto a new drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade onto a new drive?: I have windows 7 on a 750GB drive at the moment, but I want to install 10 on my SSD which only has 30 GB of space. Of course, I don't want to have to re-install all my data. If I go the upgrade route, will I have an option to choose which drive I install the windows files to?...