Windows 10: New Dell Computer - how to choose type of acct w/ first turn on

Discus and support New Dell Computer - how to choose type of acct w/ first turn on in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; May I ask, how is the Administrator of a computer determined? Am I, as a new owner of this computer, automatically made the administrator?... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by maryeleek, Feb 14, 2018.

1. maryeleek Win User

New Dell Computer - how to choose type of acct w/ first turn on

May I ask, how is the Administrator of a computer determined? Am I, as a new owner of this computer, automatically made the administrator?

Computer: Dell XPS 8920, Windows 10Pro, two drives (SSD with OS and hard drive for storage)

If so, how does the system identify the Administrator? Must I also create a user account? If so, is this so my choices for personal settings can be recognized? I want to do this right and don't know what to expect when I first turn on this newly purchased computer (not yet arrived).

I am totally new to windows 10. I have never even seen a computer running windows 10 other than on youtube. My old computer is dying so I've purchased a 'new to me' dent and scratch XPS 8920 from Dell with Windows 10 Pro.

When computer arrives and I first turn it on, from watching and trying to learn from youtube videos, it would appear I will be asked to create accounts. From watching youtube videos, the first question seems to be something about a microsoft account. I don't want a microsoft account so I will do my best to move past this so I can move to the next offering. Are there things I should or shouldn't do here?

Once past this first screen, what type of user account do I create, if any? No one else uses my computer but me. I want to keep it as simple as possible because I have to try and figure things out if something goes haywire. I have no one else to call on.

Thank you for any advice or suggestions as to how to proceed with first boot.

:)

maryeleek, Feb 14, 2018
  2. GSYoung64 Win User

Turning on Guest User on Windows 10

I got answer online and IT WORKS! To Turn On Guest Acct:

• Open elevated command prompt by right clicking on windows icon & choose
      CommandPrompt (admin)
    • Get List of Users (you will not see guest acct at this point); Type: net user
      & then click enter
    • to Activate Guest Acct type: net user guest /active:yes
    • That's it! Click on Windows icon then active user to select other acct (you should see Guest!)
    Now WHY would the MS engineer have stated "guest not loaded by design and not tell how to do it and WHY would MS have done this? Should be easy choice not having to go into command prompts.

GSYoung64, Feb 14, 2018
  3. Make the Wi-Fi Network Accessible for Additional Login on Same PC [Win10]

============

Thanks for your quick response. However, I itemized what 'didn't work,' A thru D. The part you're talking about - creating another user - that was already done. A thru D is what happened afterwards that needs to be fixed. I did create it w/an old Win Live
    acct., but w/o a Microsoft e-mail attached, so that's 'unbound' to me. Next time I change schools, I won't have to worry about it.

So - let's try again from the points of A thru D. The existing [Microsoft-bound] acct. works; I'm using it now, but Outlook and the rest of Off365 has expired. The objective is to make un-bound acct. #2 work as good as this one does, starting w/having the
    same Internet access thru the wi-fi network.

- The error messages for the Control Panel 'snap-ins' said there are no apps to connect with the snap-in. I've never even seen those error msgs. before today. That means Personalization doesn't work, or the Network Ctr.

- The Windows key that switches from the old desktop to the tiles doesn't do anything, as if it were disconnected.

- In the 'bound' acct., I cannot delete the Off365 which has expired, so I can replace w/the new one from the new school. It gives an error code of 300xx-16, offers a downloadable to eradicate Office once and for all, and it doesn't work, either. Gets to
    the end and gives another error code. At first, I thought it was the McAfee blocking it, but no, that's not the problem.

- I've already got the folders I need shared, and although I didn't mention previously, I have to make sure the other person on this network can't get into my system. I turned off the network setting for the 'homegroup,' making access available only if you
    have an acct. on my computer. Also turned off all file sharing that's external.

Anti-virus is McAfee Suite; running Win 10 Anniversary on a Dell Inspiron 15, 64-Bit, 1T GB HD, 8 GB RAM, etc.

Thanks again,

JSB

JSBTechToday, Feb 14, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Mary, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Correct, you will see the out of box experience where you start at setup when you first turn on the new computer.

Since you don't want to use a Microsoft account, you can pick up at step 23 in the tutorial below for how to setup a local account on your computer when you first turn it on. A local account is the same type of account that was used in Windows 7. This account will be an administrator account.

*Arrow Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

Brink, Feb 14, 2018
  5. fireberd Win User
    fireberd, Feb 14, 2018
  6. maryeleek Win User
    My thanks to both of you for your helpful assistance.

maryeleek, Feb 16, 2018
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. I'm glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New Dell Computer - how to choose type of acct w/ first turn on - Similar Threads - Dell Computer choose

2. Is wifi automatically on when you first boot a new windows 10 computer and how to turn it off.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is wifi automatically on when you first boot a new windows 10 computer and how to turn it off.: I have lost 7 computers, innumerable computer peripherals and cell phones to a hacker who has used RATS remote access trojans and other software to a person with plentiful resources to hire the best hackers available. This has been accomplished without immediate physical...
  3. Cant get past first screen when computer firsts turns on

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cant get past first screen when computer firsts turns on: This problem only started yesterday when i left my laptop on with a game running all night. When i logged in the day after the screen kept refreshing itself and not showing anything on the task bar. I turned my computer off and on again but now im stuck on the first screen...
  4. NEW USER ACCT

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    NEW USER ACCT: I set up the laptop using my MSFT account. I want to give the machine to my granddaughter for school. She has her own MSFT acct, but when I tried to add her as a second "other" user I could only set it up as a local account. How do I get it attached to her MSFT account?...
  5. New Dell Computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    New Dell Computer: I went online and bought this Dell Computer. (Vostro 3583|Service Tag: 8QTHTW2It) It has no DVD tray? What if I wanted to write something to a CD or DVD? Crazy . . . I suppose I could add an external drive. Or could I? It also said it had Windows 10 Pro? But, when I went...
  6. How to choose the type of audio device that was plugged in.

How to choose the type of audio device that was plugged in.: Hi I am on Windows 10 and when I plugged an audio device in for the first time it brought up a little pop up box asking what type of device was just plugged in and I selected an option and said "remember my selection" so now whenever I plug something in it doesn't bring up...
  7. how to use new email acct

how to use new email acct: I added an email acct (icloud.com) to my original att.net acct. I cannot send or receive email for the icloud.com acct. What do I do? Trightler https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-use-new-email-acct/5587afd1-f94d-40c7-a24e-db46228d1d18
  8. Win10 Mail won't display msg body w/ pop3 acct, but fine w/Gmail acct

in Browsers and Email
    Win10 Mail won't display msg body w/ pop3 acct, but fine w/Gmail acct: All; Thank you in advance for your help. I have an unusual problem. I have a PC with Windows 10, and I'm using the stock mail application. I have added 2 accounts, a pop3 account and a Gmail account. The Gmail account works fine, but the pop 3 account will only display...
  9. Got New Dell Laptop, W10, 4th computer w/continued problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Got New Dell Laptop, W10, 4th computer w/continued problems: Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series/Intel i5-6200u 2.3ghz/8gb ram/1tb hdd I'll bet nobody ever had this situation. Past year, 4 different brand computers. W8 and W10. Internet Explorer. * Often have to click multiple times when I go to click on something. * Typing, the cursor...
  10. Dell laptop will not turn on (at first).

in Windows 10 Support
    Dell laptop will not turn on (at first).: I went to Dell and saw that my laptop is compatible with Windows 10. It's a Dell Inspiron 3737. I thought I fixed my issue when I disabled "fast startup" in power settings. It occurs to me that some of my problems were fixed (excessive battery draining). If I shut the lid...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to choose dell computer