New drive letter after update

Discus and support New drive letter after update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After this last update suddenly I have a new G drive which wasn't there before, only 448Mb with only 4Mb space left. Wondering where this drive came... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cradom, Jun 1, 2018.

1. cradom Win User

After this last update suddenly I have a new G drive which wasn't there before, only 448Mb with only 4Mb space left. Wondering where this drive came from, what is on it (shows empty), and if formatting it (to get rid of the low space warnings) will hurt anything.
    It's not the recovery drive, that shows. Any idea where this came from?
    Thanks

:)

cradom, Jun 1, 2018
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jun 25, 2018
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Problem with letter drives confusing Sony Vegas

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Open Disk Management (press [Win] +[R], type "diskmgmt.msc", and press [Enter]).
    • In the lower pane, right-click on the partition that you want to change drive letter, and click "Change Drive Letter and Paths"
    • A dialog should come up, showing the partition's current drive letter. Even if it is correct, click [Change].
    • From the dropdown, select any new letter, and then [OK] your way back to Disk Management. And check if it helps.

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Arun B J, Jun 25, 2018
  4. Amit(Kumar) Win User

Cannot change drive letter

Hello,

I request you to try the steps below:

• Press "Windows" + "R" on the keyboard.
    • Type "diskmgmt.msc" and press Enter key.
    • Now right click on the drive and select Change drive letter or path.
    • Select the drive and click on Change.
    • Now select the drive letter and click on OK.

If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Jun 25, 2018
Thema:

1. New drive letter after update - Similar Threads - drive letter update

2. windows stuck at "Restarting..." for long after received microsoft update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows stuck at "Restarting..." for long after received microsoft update: Windows 10(Enterprise) windows stuck at "Restarting..." for long after received microsoft update it's a desktop computer; and remote users connect to via remote desktop; however, every time after received Microsoft update, the system will stuck at "Restarting..." for...
  3. Laptop wont update after switching off.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop wont update after switching off.: So I was updating to Windows 10 1803, when my laptop ran out of charge, I didn't realize it wasn't plugged in. The error code is 0xc1900101, which means there has been a rollback. When I click Check for updates in Updates and Security, I just get error code 0x80096004. Help?...
  4. WINDOWS 10 UPDATE ERROR 0X80072EE7

WINDOWS 10 UPDATE ERROR 0X80072EE7: I am trying to update windows 10-1709 to Windows 10-1803. I am connected to the internet, but it returns with the following error: 0X80072EE7 . Please advise. Thanks! [ATTACH]...
  5. Lots of problems after 1803 update

Lots of problems after 1803 update: Hi, I'm having these problems for months now. Before I get another set of generic solutions let me say that I tried lots of procedures, none of them worked. The only thing that works is a full clean reinstall while holding back on 1803 update. First I'm gonna list the...
  6. I have bought an antivirus : bitfender antivirus plus 2018. After installation my network...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I have bought an antivirus : bitfender antivirus plus 2018. After installation my network...: I tried to resolve but nothing seemed to work. I don t know what to . Also I tried to talk with a person at Microsoft chat, still doesn t work ....
  7. Reconnect your drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Reconnect your drive: Once again I haveno idea what this means. I ah this problem which I forgot about, just came back now. Please help. Thank you.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/reconnect-your-drive/63cbc7dd-290b-4a6d-94da-d61423ef4dbe"
  8. Laptop Keyboard doesn't work after windows update.

Laptop Keyboard doesn't work after windows update.: So yesterday I downloaded a windows update and I couldn't use my keyboard after that so now I'm using an on screen keyboard. I've tried tons of things, I even reset my computer I did keep files but deleted apps and such. I don't know what to do now....
  9. Win10 update unfinished install for personal settings Aug 2018, hung on black screen

Win10 update unfinished install for personal settings Aug 2018, hung on black screen: An automatic Win10 update downloaded to my laptop in the last couple of days, not sure exactly when, Aug. 12-14/18? It installed upon shutdown. When I next booted up, the installation proceeded, then when I logged in (to MS option) it showed a small box, Updating personal...
  10. One drive error code

One drive error code: When I start up my computer I receive a One drive error code 0xc0000020. Something about a bad image, can you help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/one-drive-error-code/a259cfc0-b52a-49ab-9e81-c2bf009f2902