Windows 10: New Drives in New Dell PC’s, can I use existing licenses?

Discus and support New Drives in New Dell PC’s, can I use existing licenses? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all Am not sure if this should be in the install and upgrade section as is more a licensing/purchase question not a tech question I think, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WBFAir, Mar 22, 2020.

1. WBFAir Win User

New Drives in New Dell PC’s, can I use existing licenses?

Hello all

Am not sure if this should be in the install and upgrade section as is more a licensing/purchase question not a tech question I think, but if the mods disagree please feel free to move.

So I ordered (3) new Dell PC’s for work that will be coming with Windows 10 Pro on each, but as the SSD’s drive options they offered for the sizes we needed were pretty costly from them I decided to go with the smallest they offered for the models I got, and then purchase the ones we needed separately.

Was also not sure for what they were offering of their brand or quality and this allowed me to get the best Samsung units possible at still even a lower cost.

The other thought was that I could put a nice clean version of the OS on these that would not have all the Dell bloated stuff in it I didn’t want.

So just am wondering if anyone knows if I do this can I just use the same Windows 10 licenses I got with the PC’s, or do I have to pay for a second one?

Thanks

:)

WBFAir, Mar 22, 2020

2. Windows 10 License question - New PC and old computer still exists.

Hi Microsoft Community!

I'm in the process of assembling a new PC and am going to give the old PC to my younger brother. I want to transfer my existing license to the new computer and if possible "de-license" the old one. These are the particulars:

• My Windows 10 license was purchased on the Microsoft website and originally activated with a product key.
    • I still have this product key.
    • I have since formatted the PC and after re-installing Windows 10 the activation is now with a digital license.
    • I prefer using local accounts on my PC and thus haven't created a Microsoft account enabled user.

My question is how to best go about transferring the license? Can I just format the old PC and activate my license on the new PC with the product key? If I do that will I get a problem when my brother installs Windows on the old computer again, since it
    now has a digital license?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Daniel Door, Mar 22, 2020
  3. Fresh Install of Windows 10 Home in new SSD

I have this Dell N4010 Laptop that I want to upgrade with an SSD and use the existing HDD as Data drive. I have an original windows of digital license.

Please suggest how I can install a fresh copy of the windows in my new SSD with the existing license. And please suggest how to activate the new installation of Windows.

Fahim.Anwar, Mar 22, 2020
  4. PKJ
    pkj Win User

Transfer a Windows 10 license to a new PC

I have purchased a new PC and I would like to transfer Windows license from my old PC to the new one. I am using Windows 10 (which was upgraded from Win 8.1) on my older computer and is activated with a licence linked to my Microsoft account. On my new PC, I have installed fresh copy of Win 10 using Media Creation Tool. To activate Windows on the new PC, I attempted the following, but have not deactivated Windows on the old PC (deactivation procedure described here)-

Settings > Update & Security > Activation> Troubleshoot> I changed hardware on this device recently> Logged into my connected Microsoft account > This is the device I’m using right now > Activate.

After performing the above, I am unable to activate Windows on my new PC. Please help me with the following-

1. Do I need to deactivate windows on older PC first?
    2. Does Microsoft entitle users to transfer licenses to new PC?
    3. Is there anything else which I have missed out?

If this helps- slmgr -dli gives the following

New Drives in New Dell PC’s, can I use existing licenses? LTP2X.jpg

Thema:

1. New Drives in New Dell PC’s, can I use existing licenses? - Similar Threads - Drives Dell PC’s

2. Can I use SSD with OEM license of windows in new pc?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I use SSD with OEM license of windows in new pc?: I have a laptop with an OEM license of windows and I plan on getting a new pc soon. I understand that OEM licenses are not transferable between pcs but if I take the SSD with that copy of windows and install it into the new pc will I be able to boot into windows on that SSD...
  3. Can I use SSD with OEM license of windows in new pc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use SSD with OEM license of windows in new pc?: I have a laptop with an OEM license of windows and I plan on getting a new pc soon. I understand that OEM licenses are not transferable between pcs but if I take the SSD with that copy of windows and install it into the new pc will I be able to boot into windows on that SSD...
  4. Can I use SSD with OEM license of windows in new pc?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. upgrading PC completely, want to use existing Windows 10 license on new computer and no...

upgrading PC completely, want to use existing Windows 10 license on new computer and no...: If I were to install Windows 10 or 11 directly from USB flash drive onto brand new motherboard CPU SSD combo, can I use my existing Windows 10 key?...
  6. upgrading PC completely, want to use existing Windows 10 license on new computer and no...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrading PC completely, want to use existing Windows 10 license on new computer and no...: If I were to install Windows 10 or 11 directly from USB flash drive onto brand new motherboard CPU SSD combo, can I use my existing Windows 10 key?...
  7. upgrading PC completely, want to use existing Windows 10 license on new computer and no...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Building a new pc, can I transfer license?

Building a new pc, can I transfer license?: I am building a completely new pc. I have a digital license and its a volume license as well. Does this mean that if I use a bootable usb stick, I will be able to transfer the license as I normally would?...
  9. New Drives in New Dell PC’s, can I use existing licenses?

New Drives in New Dell PC’s, can I use existing licenses?: Hello all Am not sure if this should be in the install and upgrade section as is more a licensing/purchase question not a tech question I think, but if the mods disagree please feel free to move. So I ordered (3) new Dell PC’s for work that will be coming with Windows 10...
  10. Using existing hard drive in new machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using existing hard drive in new machine: Can I install my existing hard drive with win 10 pro in new machine so that I don't have to reinstall everything? Current machine is 8 years old but has i7 in it....