Windows 10: New Edge beta: why can't I save URLs using drag'n'drop?

Discus and support New Edge beta: why can't I save URLs using drag'n'drop? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I installed the new Edge beta and like it a lot. The time and screen real-estate savings due to its anti-tracking features are extremely welcome! But... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by mmo, Dec 14, 2019.

1. MMO
    mmo Win User

New Edge beta: why can't I save URLs using drag'n'drop?

I installed the new Edge beta and like it a lot. The time and screen real-estate savings due to its anti-tracking features are extremely welcome!

But one feature is again lacking (as initially also in the "old" Edge):
    One can not "tear off" (drag) a URL from the URL-field and save (drop) it e.g. on the desktop or in some folder. Hope they add that to the program soon. I consider this an essential feature of a browser!

:)

2. fryte Win User

Cannot Drag and Drop into Edge

Some of the copy-and-pasted responses across this website from Microsoft Support are an embarrassment. The lack of drag and drop has nothing to do with corrupted system files, and the resolution steps posted by the Support Engineer will waste customers'
    time sending them on a wild goose chase. For now, Microsoft Edge simply does not support drag and drop (!) - see
    here,

here
    or
    here

Update: I've found a statement from Microsoft: "Fixes
    for this issue are being treated with top priority and are in development to ship in a future update. We'll provide updates on the timeline as we know more."

fryte, Dec 14, 2019
  3. Cannot Drag and Drop into Edge

• I have been on Win 10 and Edge since June 2016.
    • I was able to drag and drop files in a SP2013 document library until today.
    • I tried it with OneDrive with the same result. I can no longer drag and drop to upload files.

Repeat: Drag and drop worked in my SharePoint 2013 libraries and OneDrive until today.

Was there a recent Win 10 or Edge update that may have broken drag and drop?

Len Gilbert BOTW, Dec 14, 2019
  4. egray Win User

Drag and Drop in MS Edge

Well, there is a free 3rd-party application called EdgeManage that allows you to create a desktop icon from an Edge favorite. It's not the same as doing a drag-n-drop operation... but it does work

egray, Dec 14, 2019
Thema:

1. New Edge beta: why can't I save URLs using drag'n'drop? - Similar Threads - Edge beta why

2. EDGE Beta

in Browsers and Email
    EDGE Beta: I had multiple problems with EDGE chrome. I tried to unstall it but it cannot be unstalled. Out of desperation and without being clear what to expect, I installed EDGE Beta. And all my problems disappeared. EDGE Beta is what I have been hoping EDGE should be. Unfortunately,...
  3. Predictive url is super slow on Edge beta (stable too!)

in Browsers and Email
    Predictive url is super slow on Edge beta (stable too!): Anyone else have this issue. Say i type an address in url box, well, Edge doesn't seem to acknowledge the site until i get to the last letter and sometimes even have to type .com to get there before it shows up in the predicted address. Kind of defeats the purpose of having...
  4. Pasting and using new Edge user-friendly URL format not working in OneNote

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Pasting and using new Edge user-friendly URL format not working in OneNote: There is a new feature in Edge that displays a more user-friendly link when you copy a URL and paste it into a document, but it seems to have some problems when pasted into OneNote for Windows. For example, there is a Microsoft Documents page about C# with the following real...
  5. Saving URLs

Saving URLs: Hi! I'm a long time User. I've had this question for a long time, also. Using both Chrome and Edge, I can drag/drop the title to the desktop or a folder without a problem; however, sometimes the title is prefixed with a parenthetic 2-digit number. So, my question is...
  6. Edge Beta

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Edge Beta: I'm having a difficulty uploading favorites from a file. After I get passed the "import" link I get a page that has a list of update scenarios with browser data at the bottom. I assume that's where I'd go next but Nada. I get no further response of direction. What-UP? or am I...
  7. View saved passwords using the new MS Edge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    View saved passwords using the new MS Edge: I am using the new MS Edge and want to check my saved passwords. I am able to get the the screen that shows the sites and usernames but the passwords are hidden. To view, it says "Microsoft Edge is trying to show passwords. Enter your Windows password to allow this." Okay...
  8. View saved passwords using the new MS Edge

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    View saved passwords using the new MS Edge: I am using the new MS Edge and want to check my saved passwords. I am able to get the the screen that shows the sites and usernames but the passwords are hidden. To view, it says "Microsoft Edge is trying to show passwords. Enter yourWindows password to allow this." Okay...
  9. Edge open URL in new Windows

Edge open URL in new Windows: Edge is not currently our default browser due to multiple incompatibilities with various applications. Some sites must open in Chrome for proper functionality. For sites that are Edge compatible we would like to create shortcuts to launch those web apps in a new Edge...
  10. Why does Edge not allow to grab a URL?

in Browsers and Email
    Why does Edge not allow to grab a URL?: One things that regularly upsets me with Edge is that it does not offer a quick and easy way to grab and save a URL from the address field. With IE and all other browsers I know you can grab the URL (or the icon to the left of it) and drag it to your desktop, to some folder,...