Windows 10: New external HDD partition help needed please - Shrink volume greyed out

Discus and support New external HDD partition help needed please - Shrink volume greyed out in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; submitted by /u/ShaggyDogzilla [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kx52ta/new_external_hdd_partition_help_needed_please/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ShaggyDogzilla, Jan 14, 2021.

1. New external HDD partition help needed please - Shrink volume greyed out

/u/ShaggyDogzilla, Jan 14, 2021

2. undo partition shrink

Hi,

If you accidentally shrink the volume of your SSD partition, there is an option to extend the volume as well. To extend the volume of your SSD partition, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the partition that you want to expand and click Extend Volume.
    • Select the amount of space that you want to extend.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Gerard Qui, Jan 14, 2021
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    creat a new volume/partition

Hi,

Creating a new partition in Windows 10.

To create a new partition, the hard disk drive must contain unallocated space that is not part of an existing partition. Shrink the volume on an existing drive to create unallocated space, then create and format a new partition, using the following steps.

• In Windows, search for and open Create and format hard disk partitions.

• Right-click the Windows (CNew external HDD partition help needed please - Shrink volume greyed out :) drive, or another drive on the computer.

• Click Shrink Volume... from the drop-down menu to create unallocated space.

Figure : Shrink volume

New external HDD partition help needed please - Shrink volume greyed out c04789571.jpg

The Shrink window opens.

• Without making any changes to the settings in the Shrink window, click
      Shrink.

Figure : Shrink volume C:

New external HDD partition help needed please - Shrink volume greyed out c04789572.jpg

When the shrink process is complete, the new partition displays in the Disk Management utility as Unallocated space.

Figure : Unallocated space

New external HDD partition help needed please - Shrink volume greyed out [​IMG]

• Right-click the new partition, then select New Simple Volume... from the drop-down menu.

Figure : Creating a new simple volume

The New Simple Volume Wizard displays.

• Click Next.
      The Specify Volume Size window displays.

• Click Next to accept the default setting (recommended), or change the value in the Simple volume size in MB field, and then click
      Next.

Figure : Specify Volume Size

The Assign Drive Letter or Path window displays.

• Select a drive letter from the drop-down menu, then click Next.

Figure : Assign Drive Letter or Path

The Format Partition window displays.

• To name the drive, type a name in the Volume label field.

• Click Next.

Figure : New Simple Volume Wizard

The Completing the New Simple Volume Wizard window displays.

• Click Finish.

Figure : Settings in Completing the New Simple Volume Wizard

The Disk Management utility shows the formatting progress, and then displays the New Volume.

Figure : New volume and its size

New external HDD partition help needed please - Shrink volume greyed out c04789579.jpg

Hope this helps. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Jan 14, 2021
  4. New external HDD partition help needed please - Shrink volume greyed out

remove external hard drive partitions

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community.

If you are logged in as an administrator, you can repartition your hard disk by using the Shrink feature in Disk Management. You can shrink an existing partition or volume to create unallocated disk space, from which you can create a new partition
    or volume.

You may follow the step below and check if it helps:

• Connect the external hard drive.

• Press Windows Key and click on Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume you want to shrink, and then click
      Shrink Volume.

• Follow the instructions

You may also refer to the steps below and check if it helps:

Open cmd with admin rights

1. Run Diskpart application by typing Diskpart

2. In the “Diskpart” prompt, enter rescan command and press Enter key to re-scan all partitions, volumes and drives available.

3. Then type in list disk and press Enter key to show all hard disk drive available.

4. Select the disk that contains the partition you want to remove. Normally, with just 1 hard disk, it will be disk 0. So the command will be:

select disk 0

5. Finish by Enter key.

6. Type list partition and press Enter key to show all available and created partition in the disk selected.

7. Select the partition that wanted to be deleted by using the following command, followed by Enter key:

select partition x

where x is the number recovery partition to be removed and unlocked its space. Be careful with the number of this partition, as wrong number may get data wipes off.

Finally, type in delete partition override and press Enter key.

Disclaimer: Be sure to back up any data you want to keep before you begin.

Hope this helps to resolve your issue. If the problem persist please revert back to us we are glad to help you.

Anju Thekkethil, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

New external HDD partition help needed please - Shrink volume greyed out

1. New external HDD partition help needed please - Shrink volume greyed out - Similar Threads - external HDD partition

2. Is it possible to shrink partition from HDD dock?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it possible to shrink partition from HDD dock?: I have a 1TB HDD dock that I'm using to connect an HDD This HDD already has Windows 10 installed on I'm trying to shrink the main large NTFS partition to get a separate 300GB partition (I want to store some files there), but I get the following error: [img] Is there a way...
  3. Is it possible to shrink partition from HDD dock?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it possible to shrink partition from HDD dock?: I have a 1TB HDD dock that I'm using to connect an HDD This HDD already has Windows 10 installed on I'm trying to shrink the main large NTFS partition to get a separate 300GB partition (I want to store some files there), but I get the following error: [img] Is there a way...
  4. Extend volume is greyed out

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extend volume is greyed out: Dear sir/mam, I would like to extend volume G, with the 244.14 GB of unallocated space. But the extend volume option is greyed out on the G drive. How can I extend the volume of the G drive with unallocated space? I have searched on the web. Find some results that are...
  5. volume shrink help

in Windows 10 Customization
    volume shrink help: i bought new laptop with win 10 it has SSD 521gb but it has only one drive which is c: which has windows how can i make other drives d and e out of it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-shrink-help/3cc44158-3f66-4958-8528-aebf20296719
  6. when shrinking my C: drive to create a partition, I shrink button greyed out more info

when shrinking my C: drive to create a partition, I shrink button greyed out more info: [ATTACH] As seen above I am able to enter the shrink C: drive menu, but no matter the amount I put in currently at 20gb seen in photo the shrnk button is greyed out. None of the other boxes are editable....
  7. Extend volume greyed out

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extend volume greyed out: My set up is shown in the attached image [ATTACH] C drive hold the OS M drive data I have recently changed C drive to a bigger disk and restored an image from the old set up. However I could not extend C drive volume to claim 113.63 GB Unallocated volume as “ Extend...
  8. Need Help With Shrink Volume!

Need Help With Shrink Volume!: Hello everyone! I was trying to dual boot windows 10 and ubuntu and before i can do that i have to make a partition for it and i have a hard drive in my laptop that is over 220 GB big but when i go to create a partition it says the biggest i can make the partition is 6 GB!!!...
  9. New 1TB HDD Partition help

New 1TB HDD Partition help: Hello everyone, I need your help in setting up new hard drive. I am using 120 GB samsung ssd with 1 single primary partition in which i have windows 10 installed. I have bought another HDD of 1TB and created 4 partition to store data. After creating partition, i saw 3...
  10. Shrink Volume or Partition in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Shrink Volume or Partition in Windows 10: How to: Shrink Volume or Partition in Windows 10 How to Shrink a Volume or Partition in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows, you can decrease the space used by primary partitions and logical drives by shrinking them into adjacent, contiguous unallocated space on...