Windows 10: New External SSD, Low Read/Write

Discus and support New External SSD, Low Read/Write in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Okay so, I just got a brand new Samsung 860 EVO SSD today. I decided to go with an external setup as it requires less hassle, and while I don't expect... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Geekypeaky, Jan 4, 2019.

1. New External SSD, Low Read/Write

Okay so, I just got a brand new Samsung 860 EVO SSD today. I decided to go with an external setup as it requires less hassle, and while I don't expect the fastest performance in doing so, I am getting absolutely ABYSMAL speeds. Not even half of the Seq Read/Write of my 4 year old HDD(The Random Read/Write speeds are better on the new SSD yet still awful). I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, as I should be getting FAR better performance than this. I have already cloned and set the new SSD as the default storage. I can format and re-clone if I have to, but it took almost 3 hours and I'd rather avoid that if possible.

It is in a SATA III enclosure, and connected to a USB 3.0 Port.

Attached is two speed tests. The first is the SSD, and the second is the internal HDD.(Also, ignore the Sailor Moon wallpaper, I was too lazy to crop...Sorry xD)
    New External SSD, Low Read/Write [​IMG]

Thanks for the help! *Biggrin

:)

Geekypeaky, Jan 4, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Slow HDD read and write speeds

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We will require a few more information from you to help you further with the issue. Please reply with the following details:

• In which device are you facing this issue?
    • Are you using an external HDD or internal HDD?
    • Are you getting the read and write speed issue on any particular application?

However, you can Disk Defragment on your computer to optimize the drive. To run Disk Defragment please follow the steps from the article

Defragment your Windows 10 PC

Alternatively, you can check for the read and write speed of the HDD in task manager. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check the read and write speed of the hard drive:

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key together on the keyboard.
    2. Click on Performance tab.
    3. Click on Disk 0.
    4. You will find the Read speed and
      Write speed
      at the bottom of the window.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 4, 2019
  3. Melvis Win User
    SSD Read/Write speed question!

Hi guys, I just installed a New SSD into my dads computer and I want to know if the speeds are good or not?

Im sorta new when it comes to SSD's so im not sure if ive missed anything.

Ive set all BIOS options to AHCI and ive run ATTO Benchmark to see the read/write score, to me i think its a little slow? as the website says it can do 560read and 535 write? Ive changed Sata cables and that made no difference in speed running sata 3 or sata 2 cables.

Anyway the SSD is a 128GB Corsair GS on a AM3 870A-UD3 motherboard.

*Toast :toast:

Melvis, Jan 4, 2019
  4. New External SSD, Low Read/Write

SSD read write concern

You can use Crystal Disk Info or Samsung Magician (if you have Samsung SSD) to check health of your SSD.

muchomurka, Jan 4, 2019
Thema:

New External SSD, Low Read/Write

1. New External SSD, Low Read/Write - Similar Threads - External SSD Low

2. 100% usage on SSD with no read or write

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% usage on SSD with no read or write: One day I shut down my PC and the next morning my drive was at 100% usage and every time I tried to open the drive on the file explorer it freezes up and restarts. I tried formatting the drive but was unable to since it was "in use". I've tried all I can to resolve the issue...
  3. Low read speed via USB 3.0 external SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low read speed via USB 3.0 external SSD: Why is my external SSD have quite low read speeds when loading a video game? I watch in task manager, reading speed is terrible and game loading takes forever. My motherboard supports 3.0 USB and ssd plugged into that port. I also enabled "better performance" via device...
  4. Low read speed via USB 3.0 external SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Low read speed via USB 3.0 external SSD: Why is my external SSD have quite low read speeds when loading a video game? I watch in task manager, reading speed is terrible and game loading takes forever. My motherboard supports 3.0 USB and ssd plugged into that port. I also enabled "better performance" via device...
  5. Low read speed via USB 3.0 external SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. understanding reading and writing on SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    understanding reading and writing on SSD: Good day. I was wondering if someone could answer the following. Whenever I copy from my C partition on an SSD and paste into a different storage device (HDD, USB flash drive, RAMdisk), am I reading and / or writing on the original SSD? More generally, what actions constitute...
  7. Disk Activity at 100% with low Read/Write

Disk Activity at 100% with low Read/Write: Windows Version: 20H2 OS Build 19042.804 Hey Everyone, I recently updated from W7 to W10 and now my PC has been running very slow. My disk usage is typically no higher than 40% however I am pretty much always at 100% active. I have tried multiple things online; however...
  8. RANDOM read and write speeds too low

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RANDOM read and write speeds too low: Two USB 3.0 drives and a USB 3.0 flash drive have reasonable to good sequential read and write speeds. But the RANDOM write and write speeds are awful, up to 200 times slower than the sequental speeds. I test with DiskMark from CrystalDiskMark. I tested both with drives...
  9. Low read/write speeds on a new laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Low read/write speeds on a new laptop: Hi all, I just purchased an asus laptop for school and gaming barely 5 months ago, recently I've noticed the disk usage spiking to 100% I have tried reinstalling windows, editing sections of the registry, disabling services, but nothing has fixed my issue. My hard drive...
  10. SSD read write concern

SSD read write concern: I have a 512gb ssd from Samsung. I sometimes record with FBX game recorder. But then the recordings dont meet my standards and i delete the files. Does this do read writes to my ssd? Will this damage my ssd? the files are a bit big, like 500mb-2gb sometimes. 115631