Windows 10: New faster memory but bios uses old XMP settings from pulled memory

Discus and support New faster memory but bios uses old XMP settings from pulled memory in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I bought some new faster memory for my Asus Maximus VI Hero. When I pulled out the old memory and inserted the new memory, the bios still showed the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by alkaufmann, Jul 21, 2019.

1. New faster memory but bios uses old XMP settings from pulled memory

I bought some new faster memory for my Asus Maximus VI Hero. When I pulled out the old memory and inserted the new memory, the bios still showed the settings from the old memory. I have XMP enabled and the bios does show the correct description in the profile of the new memory but it does not change anything. Luckily this new memory has no problem working with the XMP settings of my old memory.

I know I can get into the DRAM settings and manually set the timings and voltage to the new ram, but I should not have to do that. Maybe I should see what happens if I load the optimized defaults... *Confused

Ak

:)

alkaufmann, Jul 21, 2019

2. Memory Issue.

Go to motherboard manufacturer site, go to Support section, download memory compatibility list. Check your memory.

If you'll find it in list go to step two: at memory manufacturer site download memory manual.

Compare memory settings in manual and in BIOS.

Igor Leyko, Jul 21, 2019
  3. Tatty_One Win User
    X58 and memory XMP help please!

When you are setting xmp in Bios, are you ensuring that everything (timings, volts, multiplier etc) are set to auto and you are on "standard"? And have you tried manually setting everything with divider instead of using xmp? As I said, I don't use xmp but am running my memory at 1900+.

Tatty_One, Jul 21, 2019
  4. Submarine Win User

New faster memory but bios uses old XMP settings from pulled memory

Refused to Post after XMP Setting in BIOS

Hi,
    Yesterday, I installed all mobo and other drivers plus various supporting software in my new build (#2 in spec with BIOS 1801). Four in the morning, all was done and I decided to end by going into BIOS to set the memory according to its 1200 MHz Factory XMP. I pressed the XMP button in the Bios and selected 2400 and then quickly "Save and Exit". In front of my tired eyes, for a short moment, I noticed "1.65 V" and something else, which seemed it should not be there. Believe XMP says 1.2 V. It did not post at all. Left it on for a few minutes, restarted a couple of times, but nothing. Turned power off on the PSU and went to bed. Today, I turned the power on, and it booted nicely all the way into Windows. Rebooted and reset BIOS to factory defaults and then changed what was necessary to get my SSD to work and PWM for the fans. Now it works nicely again.

In the BIOS, I noticed the XMP button had not only changed the memory timings, but also fiddled with the CPU settings.

Anyone having heard of something similar. Surely, the XMP button should only change memory timings?
    If I try to change the timings manually, I guess I do not need to change anything else? Do you think I should set the voltage to 1.2 V rather than leaving it on auto?
    What happened? Did the PSU internal protection kick in, you think?

Submarine, Jul 21, 2019
Thema:

New faster memory but bios uses old XMP settings from pulled memory

1. New faster memory but bios uses old XMP settings from pulled memory - Similar Threads - faster memory bios

2. Is it safe to reduce hardware reserved memory from bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to reduce hardware reserved memory from bios: Is it safe to reduce hardware reserved memory from bios my laptop is Lenovo ideapad gaming 3 with 8 gb ram 5.9 usable as 2gb hardware reserved memory and l want to reduce it to 0.5gb...
  3. Is it safe to reduce hardware reserved memory from bios

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it safe to reduce hardware reserved memory from bios: Is it safe to reduce hardware reserved memory from bios my laptop is Lenovo ideapad gaming 3 with 8 gb ram 5.9 usable as 2gb hardware reserved memory and l want to reduce it to 0.5gb...
  4. Attempted to write read only memory when turning off XMP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Attempted to write read only memory when turning off XMP: Hi everyone,I have some strange stuff going on with my ram. I have already tried to run mem test 86 and I ran the entire test with no errors. Here are my issues:1 Once I shutdown my PC, the next time I try to start it, it will fail to post at the DRAM stage. If I then force...
  5. Attempted to write read only memory when turning off XMP

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Attempted to write read only memory when turning off XMP: Hi everyone,I have some strange stuff going on with my ram. I have already tried to run mem test 86 and I ran the entire test with no errors. Here are my issues:1 Once I shutdown my PC, the next time I try to start it, it will fail to post at the DRAM stage. If I then force...
  6. Bios and memory problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bios and memory problems: Hi,I need help!Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bios-and-memory-problems/5f646054-9e5f-4fd2-8d42-6d74c917175b
  7. Ten-year-old computer: new memory worthwhile?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ten-year-old computer: new memory worthwhile?: Working on a ten-year-old system with original single-channel DDR3 1600 memory x 16GB. Comp seems to have a little trouble coping with memory-intensive work on multiple graphics, with many images in extended clipboard, and error messages pop up in editing software. All is...
  8. Memory XMP and Nvidia Surround On - Can't get POST

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Memory XMP and Nvidia Surround On - Can't get POST: Built a triple screen setup with AOC Agon 31.5 inch monitors (1ms 165hz). My PC specs: i7 7700k processor, 1 stick of RAM Corsair Vengeance 16gb 3000Mhz (at the A2 slot in mobo), GTX 1080Ti, Asus Maximus Hero IX motherboard, Corsair 850w psu. Windows 10 Pro legit fully...
  9. More Memory mean faster Gaming?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    More Memory mean faster Gaming?: I was wondering if an upgrade from 8gigs of memory to 16gigs of memory would effect my FPS in gaming? This is the memory in thinking about buying: Corsair Vengeance Performance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3L 1600MHz PC3 12800 Laptop Memory Kit CMSX16GX3M2B1600C9 at Amazon.com...
  10. Low Memory Warning - Virtual Memory Settings?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Low Memory Warning - Virtual Memory Settings?: As soon as I fired up Sony Vegas 13 and started to record (setting up the microphone was a whole other issue), I was presented with a Low Memory Warning (in Sony Vegas). Personally I think I should have adjusted the Virtual Memory ages ago (Win7), but here we are with Win10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i have xmp bios profile enabled still getting low performance