Windows 10: New features and changes in Window 10 version 20H2

Discus and support New features and changes in Window 10 version 20H2 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft will release the next feature update for Windows 10 later this year. The update will be a smaller update similar to Windows 10 version 1909.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Aug 26, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

New features and changes in Window 10 version 20H2

Microsoft will release the next feature update for Windows 10 later this year. The update will be a smaller update similar to Windows 10 version 1909. The main benefits of this approach are that it should install in a couple of minutes and that it won't introduce major changes to the operating system that require extensive testing before it can be deployed on production machines.

Another benefit is that it is less likely that it will contain many major bugs or issues. While it is similar in scope to Windows 10 version 1909, it may come as a surprise to some that Windows 10 20H2 will introduce some new features or changes to the operating system. The changes are minor compared to the first feature update of any given year.

The new Microsoft Edge is built-in

New features and changes in Window 10 version 20H2 new-microsoft-edge.png

Microsoft released the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge web browser in January 2020 to the public. The company started to push the browser via Windows Update to some systems, but has not included the browser by default in Windows 10. If you install Windows 10 using installation media that is available right now, you get the legacy version of Microsoft Edge included with the operating system.

Starting with Windows 10 version 20H2, the new Microsoft Edge browser is installed alongside the operating system. The new Edge offers better web compatibility and performance, and since it is based on Chromium, it is possible to install Chrome extensions and themes in the browser.

Check out our ten tips to get started with the new Microsoft Edge, and eight features that distinguish the new Edge from Chromium-based browsers.

Windows 10 will show open tabs in Microsoft Edge as well when you use Alt-Tab to display open applications. You can undo the change in Settings > System > Multitasking or limit the list of recent tabs to five or 3 instead of all tabs.

A new Start Menu design

New features and changes in Window 10 version 20H2 new-windows-10-start-menu.png

The design of the Windows 10 Start Menu has a new design in the new version of Windows 10. Microsoft changed the background color of tiles so that it matches the color scheme of the theme.

Previously, Start Menu items used a variety of background colors, e.g. blue and gray, that were independent of the actual theme that was active on the system. The icons look more professional in the new version of Windows and less out of place. The new design works with light and dark mode themes that you may select in the Settings application.

Taskbar pinning changes

New features and changes in Window 10 version 20H2 windows-10-taskbar-personalization.jpg
    souce: Microsoft

Microsoft put some work into the Windows 10 taskbar in the new version. One of the main changes applies only to new accounts and installations, not to existing user accounts upgraded from earlier versions of Windows 10. These new account holders may see new icons being pinned to the taskbar in response to some of their actions.

Microsoft highlighted two, and they both involve icons being pinned to the taskbar. The first gets the Your Phone app icon pinned to the taskbar if you link your Android phone, the second an Xbox app icon if you set up an Xbox Live account on the system or sign-in to one.

Users who pin sites to the taskbar using Microsoft's Edge browser will now have the opportunity to see all open tabs of that site as thumbnails when they click on the pinned site on the taskbar.

Control Panel / Settings changes

New features and changes in Window 10 version 20H2 default-apps-search.png

Windows 10 version 20H2 comes with several Settings app changes. The management of default apps is improved in the new version as Microsoft added search functionality to the "choose default apps by file type", "choose default apps by protocol" and "set defaults by app" management pages. Previously, all you could do was scroll down the list of a thousand-or-so file extensions to find the one that you wanted to change.

Another new feature is found under System > Storage. Microsoft added cleanup recommendations to the page which suggest items that you may want to clean to free up disk space. The recommendations are based on the cleanup tool and may suggest to remove previous Windows installations, temporary files, or large or unused files.

If you used the shortcut Windows-Pause to open the System Control Panel setting in earlier versions of Windows 10, you will notice in the next version of Windows 10 that it will open the About page of the Settings app instead. The System control panel is redirected to About automatically as well which should make it more difficult to manage advanced options such as system variables (since these were linked from there).

New features and changes in Window 10 version 20H2 tablet-mode.png

Microsoft introduced a new tablet experience option in the May 2020 update. When you detached a keyboard on a 2-in-1 device, Windows 10 would display a notification with options to enable tablet mode. The mode is set automatically in Windows 10 version 20H2.

If you prefer the old way of enabling tablet mode manually, you may do so by changing the "when I use this device as a tablet" option under Settings > System > Tablet from "always switch to tablet mode" to "ask me before switching modes". If you never use tablet mode, you can also select "don't switch to tablet mode".

In the Graphics Settings, users may specify a default high performance GPU and a specific GPU for specific applications. You find these options under Settings > System > Display > Graphics settings and Settings > Gaming > Graphics settings.

New features and changes in Window 10 version 20H2 default-graphics-hardware.jpg

Another display related improvement is the ability to change the refresh rate of a display in the Settings application. go to Settings > System > Display > Advanced display settings to change the refresh rate for the selected display.

New features and changes in Window 10 version 20H2 change-refresh-rate.png

Now You: What is your expectation in regards to Windows 10 version 20H2.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post New features and changes in Window 10 version 20H2 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Aug 26, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 26, 2020
  3. sebi5361 Win User
    feature update to windows 10 version 20H2 error 0xc1900101

I have (re)posted my question on the Windows Insider Program forum here.

I will post the results of setupdiag there. Thanks

sebi5361, Aug 26, 2020
  4. New features and changes in Window 10 version 20H2

feature update to windows 10 version 20H2 error 0xc1900101

HOW TO CHANGE FROM WIDOWS 10 PRO TO ENTERPRICE ONLINE

NhlahlaMbuyisa, Aug 26, 2020
Thema:

New features and changes in Window 10 version 20H2

1. New features and changes in Window 10 version 20H2 - Similar Threads - features changes Window

2. Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2: It shows that error 0x800707e7 could not be installed. The rest of the updates could be installed successfully. That I have to do? Thanks in advance....
  3. Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2: It shows that error 0x800707e7 could not be installed. The rest of the updates could be installed successfully. That I have to do? Thanks in advance....
  4. Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. WINDOWS 10 FEATURE UPDATE VERSION 20H2

WINDOWS 10 FEATURE UPDATE VERSION 20H2: After installing this update, I am no longer able to connect my Bluetooth device headphones. The device is still showing as 'paired', I have confirmed that Bluetooth is on, I've updated the driver and also removed the device but am unable to reinstall it as the system can't...
  6. Windows 10 Feature Update Version 20H2

Windows 10 Feature Update Version 20H2: I have been attempting to Install this Update since 11-2-2020 . Numerous attempts produced this result : Startup Failure: “We removed some recently installed updates…” Windows 10 If your device displays this message after sign in, then your device has recently...
  7. Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2

Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2: Why will this update not install keeps coming up with 0xc1900101 or 0x8024000b https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/feature-update-to-windows-10-version-20h2/764f01e0-071d-448c-923d-fb85aebe2f84
  8. Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2: Sir Greg. Do you have any info. on the subject. My laptop has never been so bad before the update. MIC is gone. It takes like 5 minutes for me to type google. This update is a serious mess if you as me...
  9. What is new in Windows 10 version 20H2 Feature Update?

in Windows 10 News
    What is new in Windows 10 version 20H2 Feature Update?: [ATTACH]Building upon last year’s Windows 10 v1909 release, Windows 10 Version 20H2 offers some […] This article What is new in Windows 10 version 20H2 Feature Update? first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  10. Windows 10 version 1909: new and changed features

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 version 1909: new and changed features: Microsoft has yet to reveal the release date for Windows 10 version 1909, a new feature update for Windows 10 that does not have many of the characteristics of a feature update. It is expected to be released in October 2019 via Windows Update and other updating systems....