Windows 10: New features and improvements coming to Windows 10

Discus and support New features and improvements coming to Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I do not have a microphone so Cortana does not help me and as for Edge, I do not mind it but I will not use it. Without Classic Hell I would not even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, May 1, 2015.

1. Gary Win User

New features and improvements coming to Windows 10

I do not have a microphone so Cortana does not help me and as for Edge, I do not mind it but I will not use it. Without Classic Hell I would not even consider Windows 10.

2. kenC Win User

Two out of five does not mean most either.

3. Mystere Win User
    Two out of 3. The other items are all the same thing rephrased. You're basically just complaining about the app discovery functions.

Mystere, May 3, 2015
  4. kenC Win User

If it makes you happy to think that, fine. I have better things to do than keep posting.

5. Winuser Win User
    Number 5 on the list can be turned off in Fire Fox. I'm happy with the features in Windows 10 as they are now. The changes mentioned in the article has me rethinking if I want to upgrade or not. Hopefully they'll give us the option to turn them off.

Winuser, May 3, 2015
  6. LEE
    Lee Win User
    "Knows English Well". . .Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!

7. Drybonz Win User
    I haven't received the bugfix update to 10074 that they mention.

Drybonz, May 3, 2015
  8. New features and improvements coming to Windows 10

I feel a little better when I see posts like this. At first when the Windows 10 TP emerged, it seemed EVERYBODY on here was so gaga about Windows 10 (in a way though that seemed like they were just blindly accepting whatever Microsoft tossed their way). I just couldn't understand what made the new OS so much better than 8.1, but this forum seemed blind to that. I figured even early on that the first TP releases were not going to reflect the final product.

Now we see the changes that are starting to drive would be users away (Edge, No WMC, a half-assed Start Menu, and the conversion of Control Panel to settings). Yet there those few here that still seem to champion new for the sake of new and say "well I like the Settings Panel; it just takes getting used to, you Luddite you", whereas I think "Control Panel Just worked. Leave it be". It's as if they believe Microsoft can do no wrong with Windows 10, especially when it would be a free upgrade. It was that mindset that had me shaking my head.

But thankfully, that appears to be changing.

Jody Thornton, May 3, 2015
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    For me, at least, it's the fact that Win7/Win8.1 will not get the same future development that Win10 will be getting. You can add a nice start menu to Win8.1 and other third party items that make it look like Win10.. but given the price of Win10 I think.. why not upgrade. Free is rather.. free. *Wink

BunnyJ, May 3, 2015
  10. Drybonz Win User
    There's an option to show app and content suggestions already on the start menu options (right click task bar). Looks like you will be able to turn it off.

Drybonz, May 3, 2015
  11. Wish I could share your optimism -- but I can't.

The Start Menu, according to the original article, is all but finished --which makes it, IMHO, little more than a miniature version of the Start Screen -- and equally useless to those of us who do NOT want a smartphone interface on our desktop.

Apart from Spartan/Edge, it looks like MS has really just moved a bunch of stuff around and, as such, these are not improvements, they are only changes -- and basically, are changes for the sake of changes.

It looks like, in the end, the "phone" people driving Win10 changes are going to win and Win10 will be little more than a reorganized Win8 -- with the result that the folks that strongly disliked Win8 for its "metro" UI, will end up feeling pretty much th same about Win10.

Mark Phelps, May 3, 2015
  12. Yeah, I don't get how its better than the Start Screen in Windows 8.1? I'd rather have the Start Screen - All Apps Screen. IMHO, its a step backward. Somebody must like it so what are you gona do. I don't see it going anywhere now.

alphanumeric, May 3, 2015
  13. Cliff S New Member

I like the All Apps better too, you don't have to open any trees(deforestation man*Smile), everything is there at a glance, and look at the screenshot(I'm on 8 right now after getting frustrated with 74's live tiles not functioning properly) one can uninstall even desktop programs from there, or go to it's file location. Only people who don't try Right clicking EVERYTHING miss out on stuff like this. On 10 that's fun part: exploring what happens when I right click something.
    Attachment 18412

Cliff S, May 3, 2015
  14. Wenda Win User
    Funny you should mention this, as I'd recently been thinking along fairly similar lines. One thing which had struck me was that many of those who at present seem so blind to Win 10's failings and who display a disturbingly condescending attitude to those who wish (for whatever reason) to remain on the supposedly 'obsolete, failed and dying' 7, 8 or 8.1 are the very same people who three years ago could see no fault with, and would brook no criticism of Win 8, back when it was in beta. And yes, anyone who dared suggest that Win 7 (or, God forbid, Vista or XP) was a 'better' or more-preferred OS than 8 was roundly condemned as either a Luddite who 'wouldn't move with the times' or a 'noob' who didn't know what they were talking about.

Now we have a different OS, but the attitudes of some users to those who hold differing views hasn't changed much, it would seem.

Personally I don't care what OS one uses. It's entirely up to you, there's no 'right' or 'wrong' choice, and it's not a competition. I use several on a regular basis, including Vista, 7, 8.1.1 and, very occasionally, XP Pro (I even run Win 3.11 occasionally, just for fun). And no doubt I'll be using Win 10 in the future as well, however I don't like it enough, and it doesn't offer enough over 7 or 8.1 for it to become my primary OS any time soon, so it will be remaining where it is in Hyper-V for the foreseeable future. But I do resent myself or others being treated in such a condescending manner as we have been by some members (both on here, and on EightForums in the past), simply because we have our own preferences and likes (and possibly needs) which may not match their own.

OK, rant over.

Wenda, May 5, 2015
  15. BunnyJ New Member
    @Wenda The thing for me is.. there are no failing of Win10 for me. I did a clean install yesterday(B. 10074) and it just works. No issues installing it and using it at all. And if I ever come across with a condescending attitude I apologize. I only try to present my view and what I find in the new OS. If you or other like previous versions of Windows and use then that's fine with me.

Win10 has elements that I like and will find useful when I get the final release(hopefully in late July). While I like Win7/Win8.1 for me the free upgrade is just too hard to pass up on.

At the end of the day, Win10 simply works fine for me and that's all that matters to me. Any comments I make are simply from my experience and as usual.. YMMV(your millage may vary).

BunnyJ, May 5, 2015
Thema:

1. New features and improvements coming to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - features improvements coming

2. Windows 10 KB5009596 is now available with new feature and improvements

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 KB5009596 is now available with new feature and improvements: Windows 10 KB5009596 has been released and it actually comes with a new feature that will help you migrate to Windows 11. Additionally, Windows 10’s optional update also comes with a bunch of general improvements and fixes, including a fix for an issue where all Bluetooth...
  3. Windows 10 21H2 comes with new features for Bluetooth audio

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 21H2 comes with new features for Bluetooth audio: Windows 10 has been criticized in the past for limited controls for audio devices, with users regularly reporting issues when using their Bluetooth devices for both voice and mic. There have also been complaints about the audio quality itself, especially when using premium...
  4. Windows 10X: Here are the best new features and improvements

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10X: Here are the best new features and improvements: After several months of silence, Windows 10X is finally done and Microsoft has finalized the RTM candidate, which is now heading to the manufacturers. We’re unofficially in the final countdown to the launch of Windows 10X, which is expected to arrive between April and June...
  5. Windows 10 will now get features and improvements in a new way

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 will now get features and improvements in a new way: With Windows 10 version 2004 or newer, Microsoft added a new item called “Windows Feature Experience Pack“. This can be found under Windows Specifications in Settings > About and it will now include shell components to enable new features in the OS faster. Currently, Windows...
  6. Windows 10 upgrade experience could improve significantly with new feature

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 upgrade experience could improve significantly with new feature: Microsoft now warns users of specific Windows 10 bugs and compatibility problems in support documents or community forums, but there’s still room for improvements and Microsoft is aware. After Microsoft released the May 2020 Update (version 2004), it highlighted at least 10...
  7. A look at the new features coming to Windows 10 with Redstone 5

in Windows 10 News
    A look at the new features coming to Windows 10 with Redstone 5: The next big update of Windows 10 is codenamed Redstone 5 and it’s projected to arrive in the fall. Windows 10 Redstone 5 is currently in development, and Microsoft is improving the OS with the help from Windows Insiders. Windows 10 RS 5 will be a big update, and it’ll...
  8. Microsoft - feature update improvements for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft - feature update improvements for Windows 10: I’m Joseph Conway, Senior Program Manager on the Windows Fundamentals team at Microsoft. The Windows Fundamentals team focuses on the underlying technologies that are used to install feature updates as well as a host of other things. We’ve heard your feedback about the...
  9. The Other New Features Coming With The Windows 10 Creators Update

in Windows 10 News
    The Other New Features Coming With The Windows 10 Creators Update: Microsoft will release a new version of Windows 10 this spring that they are calling the Creators update. While they did announce the large features that will be coming with this release, the company also posted a video that shows some of the smaller updates that will arrive...
  10. New Enterprise improvements coming to IE11 on Windows 7 and 8.1

in Windows 10 News
    New Enterprise improvements coming to IE11 on Windows 7 and 8.1: In Windows 10 version 1511, we announced a number of improvements to our collection of Enterprise Mode tools, designed to help customers upgrade more easily to Internet Explorer 11. These tools include a new v.2 Enterprise Mode XML schema, which is designed to be simpler,...