Windows 10: New features and improvements coming to Windows 10

Discus and support New features and improvements coming to Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Yeah, I don't get how its better than the Start Screen in Windows 8.1? I'd rather have the Start Screen - All Apps Screen. IMHO, its a step backward.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, May 1, 2015.

1. Wenda Win User

New features and improvements coming to Windows 10

Yes and no.

When I was still on 8 I used to run Classic Shell as my start menu, specifically because I didn't like the Start Screen. But when 8.1 came out with the ability to 1/ go straight to All Apps when Start was clicked and 2/ customise the quoit out of the All Apps screen, I decided not to install any 3rd-party Start replacement and instead use the All Apps screen as my Start screen.

Well, it worked a treat, and I was surprised at how quickly I felt 'at home' with this setup. So much so that when I'm using my Win 7 or Vista machines, I actually miss both it and the natty and very handy little right-click 'guts' menu.

So, on to Win 10 and its Start menu... well, I tried. I really tried. But no, I don't like it. And when I tried to get it to go to the All Apps screen, it wouldn't. Apparently there is a hack to get it to go to the Start screen, but that wasn't what I wanted, I wanted All Apps. So I installed Classic Shell (in build 9926 or whatever) and it seemed to be OK. I used that build, with Classic Shell, as my primary OS for around six weeks without too many problems, until I removed 10 for unrelated reasons. My brief foray into build 10074 revealed little or no improvement to their Start menu, so I once again installed Classic Shell. And it borked. Big-time. Didn't work properly itself, and killed the MS one stone dead.

All I want is for 10, when I click on the Start square, to take me to a customisable All Apps screen a la Win 8.1.1 but alas! that seems to be far too big an ask... *Sad And no, simply making the Start menu full-screen and clicking All Apps isn't an acceptable substitute (it was one of the first things I tried).

Wenda, May 5, 2015
  2. Wenda Win User

No, Bunny, you're fine, I'm all good with your comments and enjoy reading them. I don't have a problem at all with those who have a differing opinion or whose experiences with W10 may be different (whether better or worse). But some members do sometimes come-across as sounding quite condescending. It may not even be intentional but merely their posting 'style', as it's hard to convey the nuances of the spoken word in a text format without making every post sound and read like a novel.

T'was merely an observation related to Jody's earlier post, not a shot across anyone's bows... *Tongue

Wenda, May 5, 2015
  3. BunnyJ New Member
    Good,, everything is good between us and that's all that matters.
    Have a great day and keep up the great posts.
    Jeff *Smile

BunnyJ, May 5, 2015
  4. New features and improvements coming to Windows 10

I have always wondered if these type of things are intentional or not, thought that it might be a difference in the way English is used in different countries
    but is is quite off putting when you make a comment on something and then get jumped on for having an opinion

A peeve of mine is when you make a comment and get criticised because its a beta and if you don't like it you shouldn't be using beta software

personal opinion of mine, but I enjoy reading negative equally as much as positive, gives me more of a feel of hows things are

paulsalter, May 5, 2015
  5. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Hmmmmmmmmmm!. . .just wondering. . .does this mean that all of you who claim you won't be using Win 10 will no longer be posting about how bad it is will also not be posting here any more about how bad it is. I mean if you aren't going to use it will we still be getting post from you telling us it really is bad. If you don't use it how will you know. . .again just wondering. . .*Smile

6. LittleJay Win User
    I also like W8.1 very much and would like to see the Start Screen/All Apps feature in W10. But that isn't the way Microsoft is going. When all is said and done, I will upgrade to W10. Just like when I went from XP to W7 and then from W7 to W8, there will be a learning curve, but I actually enjoy that part of it.

LittleJay, May 5, 2015
  7. I'll still post here even if I decide not to run Windows 10. Why not? I still like to try and help people sort out issues. I do believe I am entitled to my opinion, so if there is something I don't like about an OS, I'll state it. I don't go on and on about it, but if it comes up in conversation I'll voice my point of view. Your profile shows your not running Windows 10 so one might ask why are you here? I won't, its a free country, but going by your logic, you should just stick to the Windows 8 forum.

alphanumeric, May 5, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

But if you don't use Win10 on a regular basis do you think you'll be able to provide accurate advice on things that are going wrong?? Would it be based on your or someone else's experience??

BunnyJ, May 5, 2015
  9. Depends on the issue. There are still lots of similarities between Windows 8 and Windows 10. Hardware is hardware, drivers may be different but installing them is still the same, etc. I may run Windows 10, just haven't decided yet. I still go to seven forums occasionally even though I'm not running windows 7. I don't post near as often as I do Eight Forums or Ten Forums but I still go there. Obviously, if I have no idea what is causing an issue I'm not going to post in that thread. Do you post in every thread? My post count will likely go down but I'll still come here.

10. BunnyJ New Member
    I don't but I try to help when I can. The point I'm trying to make is would it be more helpful if you posted/helped out in the OS that you're more familiar with??

BunnyJ, May 5, 2015
  11. Dude Win User
    I think I fall in this category. It's different and that's what I like. I like trying new stuff. Edge should grow to be better. The WMC going away is a bummer, but can still be used by either dual booting or using a VM. I even like the new start menu after using it, to be it is a perfect combo of W7 and W8 start

Windows 10 will become my main OS one day, but I will continue to us 8.1 too. W10 being free is a good thing I think.

12. Dude Win User
    Well said *Thumbs

13. New features and improvements coming to Windows 10

I'll be doing that anyway. I log on to Eight forums several times a day and check most sections for anything I can help with.. Having a look see here isn't going to impact that much.

14. Wenda Win User
    I've said several times that, while it won't be running as my primary OS, it will be running in a VM. So I actually will be using it. And yes, I'll be commenting about it - both the good and the bad, as I did re 8 and 8.1.

Wenda, May 6, 2015
  15. but wait ... therre's more

Windows 10 to include full Unicode 7.0 emoji support
    Windows 10 Emoji Changelog

Slartybart, May 7, 2015
Thema:

1. New features and improvements coming to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - features improvements coming

2. Windows 10 KB5009596 is now available with new feature and improvements

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 KB5009596 is now available with new feature and improvements: Windows 10 KB5009596 has been released and it actually comes with a new feature that will help you migrate to Windows 11. Additionally, Windows 10’s optional update also comes with a bunch of general improvements and fixes, including a fix for an issue where all Bluetooth...
  3. Windows 10 21H2 comes with new features for Bluetooth audio

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 21H2 comes with new features for Bluetooth audio: Windows 10 has been criticized in the past for limited controls for audio devices, with users regularly reporting issues when using their Bluetooth devices for both voice and mic. There have also been complaints about the audio quality itself, especially when using premium...
  4. Windows 10X: Here are the best new features and improvements

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10X: Here are the best new features and improvements: After several months of silence, Windows 10X is finally done and Microsoft has finalized the RTM candidate, which is now heading to the manufacturers. We’re unofficially in the final countdown to the launch of Windows 10X, which is expected to arrive between April and June...
  5. Windows 10 will now get features and improvements in a new way

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 will now get features and improvements in a new way: With Windows 10 version 2004 or newer, Microsoft added a new item called “Windows Feature Experience Pack“. This can be found under Windows Specifications in Settings > About and it will now include shell components to enable new features in the OS faster. Currently, Windows...
  6. Windows 10 upgrade experience could improve significantly with new feature

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 upgrade experience could improve significantly with new feature: Microsoft now warns users of specific Windows 10 bugs and compatibility problems in support documents or community forums, but there’s still room for improvements and Microsoft is aware. After Microsoft released the May 2020 Update (version 2004), it highlighted at least 10...
  7. A look at the new features coming to Windows 10 with Redstone 5

in Windows 10 News
    A look at the new features coming to Windows 10 with Redstone 5: The next big update of Windows 10 is codenamed Redstone 5 and it’s projected to arrive in the fall. Windows 10 Redstone 5 is currently in development, and Microsoft is improving the OS with the help from Windows Insiders. Windows 10 RS 5 will be a big update, and it’ll...
  8. Microsoft - feature update improvements for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft - feature update improvements for Windows 10: I’m Joseph Conway, Senior Program Manager on the Windows Fundamentals team at Microsoft. The Windows Fundamentals team focuses on the underlying technologies that are used to install feature updates as well as a host of other things. We’ve heard your feedback about the...
  9. The Other New Features Coming With The Windows 10 Creators Update

in Windows 10 News
    The Other New Features Coming With The Windows 10 Creators Update: Microsoft will release a new version of Windows 10 this spring that they are calling the Creators update. While they did announce the large features that will be coming with this release, the company also posted a video that shows some of the smaller updates that will arrive...
  10. New Enterprise improvements coming to IE11 on Windows 7 and 8.1

in Windows 10 News
    New Enterprise improvements coming to IE11 on Windows 7 and 8.1: In Windows 10 version 1511, we announced a number of improvements to our collection of Enterprise Mode tools, designed to help customers upgrade more easily to Internet Explorer 11. These tools include a new v.2 Enterprise Mode XML schema, which is designed to be simpler,...