New files added in GWX directory

Discus and support New files added in GWX directory in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] I just noticed some change in the Get Windows 10 app.. 8920 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GaloreRu1z4n3x, Jul 24, 2015.

1. GaloreRu1z4n3x Win User

New files added in GWX directory [​IMG]

I just noticed some change in the Get Windows 10 app..

:)

GaloreRu1z4n3x, Jul 24, 2015
  2. GeorgeV1225 Win User

Windows 10 update (GWX) starts, but just "spins" forever

Running Win8.1 64bit on a Toshiba L55 Laptop. Finally decided it was time to upgrade to Win10. I made sure all fixes were installed. Started GWX with icon in system tray, selected option to download and upgrade later, let it run all night (connected with
    network cable vs. Wifi). Was still running in the morning (Get Windows 10 panel displaying, with spinning logo in the middle.) GWX directory (where I presume the download files are placed) had some files and directories created.

I removed and re-installed GWX by removing and reinstalling KB3035583. Started GWX again with the system tray icon. This time it suggested a scheduled install some 3 days in the future. I again selected the "Download and upgrade later" option. GWX created
    directories and again loaded about 27MB of files into GWX directory. Now the panel is again sitting and spinning with no other activity.

So... now what? Is there a way to make GWX actually complete?

George V.

GeorgeV1225, Jul 24, 2015
  3. Swifty. Win User
    Using cipher.exe to decrypt EFS encrypted file

I'm having a battle with cipher.exe in my quest to decrypt all the EFS encrypted files on my system.

First, let's get a list of all the encrypted files on my local disks:

cipher.exe /u /n > cipher.temp

Inside the file cipher.temp is the line:

F:\Backups\$user\tools\tee.exe

In explorer, I navigate to this file where I see:

tee.exe (in green, the sign of an encrypted file)

So I execute the command:

cipher.exe -d F:\Backups\$user\tools\tee.exe

The output is as follows

C:\$User\Tools>cipher.exe -d F:\Backups\$user\tools\tee.exe

Listing C:\$User\Tools\

New files added to this directory will not be encrypted.

Listing F:\Backups\$user\tools\

E tee.exe

C:\$User\Tools>

Now, what does that "E" on the last line of output signify? Error? Well, the file is still encrypted, so that's probable.

Let's try adding the -a switch, which causes cipher.exe to operate on files as well as directories:

C:\$User\Tools>cipher.exe -d -a F:\Backups\$user\tools\tee.exe

Listing F:\Backups\$user\tools\

E tee.exe

C:\$User\Tools>

No progress there. Where next? Well, let's do it through the GUI, in explorer.

1. Open the properties of tee.exe

2. Click Advanced...

3. Clear the check against "Encrypt contents to secure data"

4. Click OK twice

5. tee.exe is no longer encrypted.

So it wasn't protected in any way. So why did cipher fail?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Swifty., Jul 24, 2015
  4. Debbie Win User

Debbie, Jul 24, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    New files added in GWX directory [​IMG]

Cliff S, Jul 24, 2015
  6. Debbie Win User
    Yep, just noticed that too!

Debbie, Jul 24, 2015
  7. Cliff S New Member
    I have been watching GWX in event viewer almost every day see this post for what happened yesterday.

Cliff S, Jul 24, 2015
  8. Victek Win User

When you click on the report link you get a lot more information, such as whether or not there are incompatible apps.

Victek, Jul 24, 2015
  9. Fafhrd Win User
    Mine says the same except for:

3 Enjoy Windows 10 for £99.99 free!*

and ...Estimated retail price of Windows 10 Home full license; actual prices may vary.

Fafhrd, Jul 24, 2015
  10. Debbie Win User
    Same for me too. *Smile

My currency converter tells me - 99.99 British pounds sterling = 155.82 US dollars

Debbie, Jul 24, 2015
  11. GaloreRu1z4n3x Win User
    New thing is that it also says : Upgrade when you get a notification that Windows 10 has downloaded and is ready for you.

GaloreRu1z4n3x, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. New files added in GWX directory - Similar Threads - files added GWX

2. Does File History backup Changed/Added Files or All Monitored Files?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Does File History backup Changed/Added Files or All Monitored Files?: Windows 10 Pro v1803 I'm sure when I first used File History with Windows 8.x or Windows 10 (can't quite remember) it backed up everything then backed up news files plus copies of changed files. I noticed the other day loads of files were missing in the File History backup...
  3. Problems adding files to Firefox folders

in Browsers and Email
    Problems adding files to Firefox folders: I recently made MS Edge my default browser due to multiple problems w/Firefox. I've added new files since this occurred but for the last couple of days I haven't been able to add files (websites, etc.) to my Firefox folders. It seems to me that I would click on the star and...
  4. Adding a file to the root of C drive. Will this cause problems ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding a file to the root of C drive. Will this cause problems ?: This is a bit of an odd one. I use a program that calls up data from a text file. This means I have many copies of the same file scattered in various project folders which is messy for a variety of reasons, not least having dozens of the same file exist. Placing the...
  5. File Explorer (or me) is creating Folders that I am not adding

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer (or me) is creating Folders that I am not adding: Explorer now has grown from 1 Document Folder to 7-8 They are not all exact duplicates. Some Folders/Files are same some are not. Pictures went from 1 Folder to 5-6 Most not all exact duplicates but close. Not sure what I could be doing. 72245
  6. Adding Comments To Files In Files Explorer In Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding Comments To Files In Files Explorer In Windows 10: Hi. It appears that Windows 10 may have done away with the ability to add comments to files/folders in File Explorer. There used to be an option in the details tab under properties but I don't seem to be able to find it. The option to checkbox comments as a column to add...
  7. Adding extra files to Media creation USB?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Adding extra files to Media creation USB?: This may be a stupid question. When reinstalling the OS with a usb flash drive (using the media creation tool), is it possible to add more files (like extra drivers) to it? Would it cause any conflict in the installation? 82542
  8. Microsoft ads invade Windows 10's File Explorer

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft ads invade Windows 10's File Explorer: Is nothing sacred? Microsoft keeps trying to prove that Windows 10 may be the best thing that ever happened to desktop Linux. The company is yet again adding ads to Windows 10, but this time it’s in possibly the most egregious spot yet: File Explorer. Users have been...
  9. Adding accents at file details.

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding accents at file details.: Hello. I am using Windows 10 and I am unable to add French accents at file details. I am only able to add the accents in the file names. Therefore I can have a song with accents in it's file title but I cannot have the accents at its details. I need the accents at...
  10. File and directories "disappear" when added to a known library

in Windows 10 Support
    File and directories "disappear" when added to a known library: I realize the title isn't very clear...hopefully I can elaborate. I'm in the process of configuring my new win10 install the way I like things like I did with win7. Win 10 seems to make that a bit more difficult but I'm about where I want to be. I have several drives in...