Windows 10: New files added in GWX directory

Discus and support New files added in GWX directory in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] I just noticed some change in the Get Windows 10 app.. 8920 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GaloreRu1z4n3x, Jul 24, 2015.

1. New files added in GWX directory

New files added in GWX directory [​IMG]

I just noticed some change in the Get Windows 10 app..

:)

GaloreRu1z4n3x, Jul 24, 2015

2. Windows 10 update (GWX) starts, but just "spins" forever

Running Win8.1 64bit on a Toshiba L55 Laptop. Finally decided it was time to upgrade to Win10. I made sure all fixes were installed. Started GWX with icon in system tray, selected option to download and upgrade later, let it run all night (connected with
    network cable vs. Wifi). Was still running in the morning (Get Windows 10 panel displaying, with spinning logo in the middle.) GWX directory (where I presume the download files are placed) had some files and directories created.

I removed and re-installed GWX by removing and reinstalling KB3035583. Started GWX again with the system tray icon. This time it suggested a scheduled install some 3 days in the future. I again selected the "Download and upgrade later" option. GWX created
    directories and again loaded about 27MB of files into GWX directory. Now the panel is again sitting and spinning with no other activity.

So... now what? Is there a way to make GWX actually complete?

George V.

GeorgeV1225, Jul 24, 2015
  3. Swifty. Win User
    Using cipher.exe to decrypt EFS encrypted file

I'm having a battle with cipher.exe in my quest to decrypt all the EFS encrypted files on my system.

First, let's get a list of all the encrypted files on my local disks:

cipher.exe /u /n > cipher.temp

Inside the file cipher.temp is the line:

F:\Backups\$user\tools\tee.exe

In explorer, I navigate to this file where I see:

tee.exe (in green, the sign of an encrypted file)

So I execute the command:

cipher.exe -d F:\Backups\$user\tools\tee.exe

The output is as follows

C:\$User\Tools>cipher.exe -d F:\Backups\$user\tools\tee.exe

Listing C:\$User\Tools\

New files added to this directory will not be encrypted.

Listing F:\Backups\$user\tools\

E tee.exe

C:\$User\Tools>

Now, what does that "E" on the last line of output signify? Error? Well, the file is still encrypted, so that's probable.

Let's try adding the -a switch, which causes cipher.exe to operate on files as well as directories:

C:\$User\Tools>cipher.exe -d -a F:\Backups\$user\tools\tee.exe

Listing F:\Backups\$user\tools\

E tee.exe

C:\$User\Tools>

No progress there. Where next? Well, let's do it through the GUI, in explorer.

1. Open the properties of tee.exe

2. Click Advanced...

3. Clear the check against "Encrypt contents to secure data"

4. Click OK twice

5. tee.exe is no longer encrypted.

So it wasn't protected in any way. So why did cipher fail?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Swifty., Jul 24, 2015
  4. Debbie Win User

New files added in GWX directory

Debbie, Jul 24, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    New files added in GWX directory [​IMG]

Cliff S, Jul 24, 2015
  6. Debbie Win User
    Yep, just noticed that too!

Debbie, Jul 24, 2015
  7. Cliff S New Member
    I have been watching GWX in event viewer almost every day see this post for what happened yesterday.

Cliff S, Jul 24, 2015
  8. Victek Win User

When you click on the report link you get a lot more information, such as whether or not there are incompatible apps.

Victek, Jul 24, 2015
  9. Fafhrd Win User
    Mine says the same except for:

3 Enjoy Windows 10 for £99.99 free!*

and ...Estimated retail price of Windows 10 Home full license; actual prices may vary.

Fafhrd, Jul 24, 2015
  10. Debbie Win User
    Same for me too. *Smile

My currency converter tells me - 99.99 British pounds sterling = 155.82 US dollars

Debbie, Jul 24, 2015
  11. New thing is that it also says : Upgrade when you get a notification that Windows 10 has downloaded and is ready for you.

GaloreRu1z4n3x, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. New files added in GWX directory - Similar Threads - files added GWX

2. File Directory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Directory: Can you compare the content of two different directories in Windows 11?I have a Lenovo Yoga 7i with Microsoft Windows 11 Home Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621 Thank you for any information....
  3. File directory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File directory: Is there anyway to revert back to the old format, this new one is awful. submitted by /u/Mystreanon [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/nfm3lv/file_directory/
  4. Trouble adding new files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble adding new files: Every time I try to add a new file folder by right clicking the mouse and selecting new file the wheel of death starts and the computer freezes up or goes blank and returns to the main screen with no results. Any ideas on what to do would be appreciated....
  5. New directory

New directory: I would like to create a new directory with the name "C:\unisa\COS1511 in windows 10. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-directory/b43da99b-cd09-47bc-8959-fbb332cb951b"
  6. Can't create new file in Documents directory.

Can't create new file in Documents directory.: Hi all, From some day weeks ago, I strangely found that I can not create new files in my Document directory and some other directories (e.g. Desktop) using some applications. Check this screenshot out. [ATTACH] Here's some further information I can provide: Creating new...
  7. Using SFC and GWX/GWX Control Panel on Win7 PC Heads Up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Using SFC and GWX/GWX Control Panel on Win7 PC Heads Up: I have a Dell XPS 8700 that I previously upgraded to Win10 and then rolled back to Win7 for game compatibility. After the restoration of Win7, I disabled GWX. Yesterday I ran GWX Control Panel to insure that I had killed any Win10 pending upgrade. Out of curiosity I ran SFC...
  8. Where GWX Files Are Stored

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Where GWX Files Are Stored: For anyone interested where all the GWX files(with types) & folders are, I've made a screenshot after using UltraSearch on my Windows 8.1 PC. To see it better just click the image a second time to make it even larger. For even more info just use process explorer. Attachment...
  9. CRASH - mobo burned, how to get a new GWX?

in Windows 10 Support
    CRASH - mobo burned, how to get a new GWX?: Greetings. My mobo died last week, and I am up and running again with a new installed windows 8.1. BUt allthough I have done all updates, I don't have the GWX app*sarc. The reservation I made earlier is useless now, as I had to install from scratch. How do I sign up for...
  10. File and directories "disappear" when added to a known library

in Windows 10 Support
    File and directories "disappear" when added to a known library: I realize the title isn't very clear...hopefully I can elaborate. I'm in the process of configuring my new win10 install the way I like things like I did with win7. Win 10 seems to make that a bit more difficult but I'm about where I want to be. I have several drives in...