Windows 10: New Firefox bug can crash the browser and freeze the operating system

Discus and support New Firefox bug can crash the browser and freeze the operating system in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Mozilla Firefox is one of the popular web browsers that is getting significant improvements with every update. It turns out that there’s a weird bug... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Sep 24, 2018.

1. WinLatest New Member

New Firefox bug can crash the browser and freeze the operating system

Mozilla Firefox is one of the popular web browsers that is getting significant improvements with every update. It turns out that there’s a weird bug that can crash the browser and freeze the operating system.

The browser would crash or freeze only when a website has a file (a blob) that contains an extremely long name and prompt the user to download it every 1ms. This has the potential to crash the Firefox browser on Windows, Linux and Mac.

“What happens is that we generate a file (a blob) that contains an extremely long filename and prompt the user to download it every 1ms, therefore it flood the IPC channel between the child and main process, making the browser at the very least freeze,” the researcher explains.

On Windows, the Firefox bug will crash the browser’s process and sometimes freeze the operating system itself. If this ever happens on any Windows machine, the user would need to reboot the system.

It appears that the bug in Firefox can freeze Windows but it’s less alarming on Mac and Linux systems as it would only crash the browser and not the OS itself.

Similar issues with browsers that crashed were also experienced in the past and it’s not a big deal for most of the users. Recently, the researcher discovered a bug in the iPhone’s Safari that would crash the Apple’s smartphone. The entire platform would crash because of a CSS-based vulnerability.

Mozilla is yet to fix the bug and the company is already tracking the issue. It’s likely that the bug will be addressed in next release. We’re still waiting for more information from Mozilla and we’ll update the article should an update be offered.

In other news, Mozilla has recently released a new update to the Firefox browser that advances the browser version to 62.0.2 and the focus is on fixing bugs. Firefox 62.0.2 has fixed issues with the language packs and it doesn’t come with any new features but the changes are good enough to improve the overall experience.

The post New Firefox bug can crash the browser and freeze the operating system appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Sep 24, 2018
  2. gsir---01 Win User

OVI Share crashing Firefox Browser

Anyone else running Firefox experiencing this issue today?

Migration went fine, and having used OVI daily using Firefox, today I put it down to the site being really busy, but no, it loads fine in IE, but in FF it crashes my browser.

I cleared my cookies, and cache thinking it may cure it, but it still freezes my browser.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

gsir---01, Sep 25, 2018
  3. peach1971 Win User
    all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Sep 25, 2018
  4. New Firefox bug can crash the browser and freeze the operating system

Firefox crashes non-stop!!!

Firefox is useless now. Last known decent version was 3. It was downhill after that. Better switch to other browsers.

The prob you are mentioning is because of the sqlite file, Delete it, and it will be good to go. S

jagjitnatt, Sep 25, 2018
Thema:

New Firefox bug can crash the browser and freeze the operating system

1. New Firefox bug can crash the browser and freeze the operating system - Similar Threads - Firefox bug crash

2. Firefox browser crashing in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Firefox browser crashing in Windows 11: From several weeks, my Firefox browser in Windows 11 laptop crashing. I usually have 3-4 tabs open in it then a warning is displayed that "browser not responding"I asked some of my friends who are using Firefox in their Window 10 laptop, they're not facing any issue.Chrome...
  3. Firefox browser crashing in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Firefox browser crashing in Windows 11: From several weeks, my Firefox browser in Windows 11 laptop crashing. I usually have 3-4 tabs open in it then a warning is displayed that "browser not responding"I asked some of my friends who are using Firefox in their Window 10 laptop, they're not facing any issue.Chrome...
  4. Browsers hanging/freezing : edge , chrome .firefox

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Browsers hanging/freezing : edge , chrome .firefox: On my pc browsers keep on freezing again and again , I have cleared all the cache and removed all the data from browsers by resetting them . when browsers freeze other applications on pc work fine...
  5. Mozilla Firefox Freezes the whole System

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Mozilla Firefox Freezes the whole System: Hi, I use Mozilla Firefox as my default browser years of bookmarks stored on it Lately and for no reason and randomly when I launch it it doesn't start and freezes the whole system. The HDD led on my PC stays solid lit, the only thing responsive is my mouse. I have to hard...
  6. FireFox Browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    FireFox Browser: I wish to add a picture in the body of the browser instead of color. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firefox-browser/4dbd8dbf-bc60-4186-b6a4-00b231a23d9f
  7. FireFox browser glitching sometimes / browser crashing

in Browsers and Email
    FireFox browser glitching sometimes / browser crashing: I'm not really sure when this started (maybe 2 weeks ago). My browser of choice is FireFox, so I'm not really sure if this happens in other web browsers. Every so often while I am browsing or using multiple tabs, the page would glitch up. There would be black, white, or blue...
  8. New Operating System!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Operating System!: Is there a new upcoming operating system after Windows-10 in the near future? (like windows 11 or 12 or something like this?) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-operating-system/fe2c4972-973d-42a4-8b35-c1a08c775127
  9. Browsers Hang, Freeze And Crash

in Browsers and Email
    Browsers Hang, Freeze And Crash: I'm at the end of the rope on trying to solve this problem. I am using a Dell XPS-17 L702X laptop with 8GB of DDR3 RAM and two internal drives, 500GB each. I have 408 GB of free space on the OS drive, which is Drive C. I am running a clean installation of Windows 10 Pro x64....
  10. Can Not Set Firefox as Default Browser

in Browsers and Email
    Can Not Set Firefox as Default Browser: I've been able to set Firefox as my default browser before, but recently after reinstalling FireFox, Wi10 is simply not allowing me to set a default browser at all (other than default - Edge). wMeEdfGBsTk 51099