Windows 10: "New Folder" shortcuts suddenly quit working

Discus and support "New Folder" shortcuts suddenly quit working in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; It started with an error message when I tried to create a new folder on an external USB drive: error 0x800701b1. I was able to create New Folder on all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SewHelpMe, Oct 5, 2019.

1. SewHelpMe Win User

"New Folder" shortcuts suddenly quit working

It started with an error message when I tried to create a new folder on an external USB drive: error 0x800701b1. I was able to create New Folder on all other drives (2 internals and 3 other externals) using either the right-click menu option, the ribbon "new folder" option or the "new folder" icon option.

I looked up the error and followed the instructions. It required copying the value in [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New] to [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Folder]

After rebooting, I could now create a new folder on the problematic external drive, but ONLY if I used the right-click menu. Now no other option works on ANY drive.

"New Folder" shortcuts suddenly quit working 03733a2b-f0d3-479a-a63a-523fabd4ef0d?upload=true.png

:)

SewHelpMe, Oct 5, 2019

2. creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Hi Gudiya,

The problem you've encountered in creating a folder could be caused by software or program conflict as the issue appeared a few days after installing the Windows 10 Creators update. For us to know if this only occurs when creating a new folder from the desktop,
    we suggest that you try creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut or from File Explorer. Please refer to the steps below:

Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

• Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.

Creating a new folder from File Explorer.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Hover your mouse on the location where you want to create a new folder.
    • Right-click it, go to New > Folder.

In case the problem persists, then we suggest that you go ahead and perform a clean boot. Doing so will start your computer using minimal drivers to help us determine what conflict is causing the problem. Check out
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows for the detailed steps.

Let us know the result so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 5, 2019
  3. gudiya#1 Win User
    creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Thanks, the step you mentioned

Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.
    • Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

It's working for me. But my new folder option is not working anywhere not in desktop as well as not in file explorer. Whenever I am placing my cursor on new folder option, its first spinning for few seconds then goes to close the file
    explorer and refresh the desktop once.

gudiya#1, Oct 5, 2019
  4. terrace Win User

Screensaver shortcut

I did this"
    Search Results

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Go to the folder C:\Windows\System32 and sort by file type.
    • Look for the screensaver file type (.scr).
    • Find the file scrnsave.scr(you can choose any of the screensavers).
    • Right click and select send to>desktop (create shortcut). The shortcut on my attachment, but when i click on it my screen goes off and on and nothing else."New Folder" shortcuts suddenly quit working :)

terrace, Oct 5, 2019
Thema:

1. "New Folder" shortcuts suddenly quit working - Similar Threads - Folder shortcuts suddenly

2. FOLDER shortcut not working correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FOLDER shortcut not working correctly: When I create a shortcut on the desktop of a folder not a file when I click to access the folder, it does not go to the folder but to the Windows Explorer that shows the files and icons on the desktop, the funny thing is that This does not happen with two external hard...
  3. FOLDER shortcut not working correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    FOLDER shortcut not working correctly: When I create a shortcut on the desktop of a folder not a file when I click to access the folder, it does not go to the folder but to the Windows Explorer that shows the files and icons on the desktop, the funny thing is that This does not happen with two external hard...
  4. shortcut to folder that works in powershell

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    shortcut to folder that works in powershell: Hi,I would like to have a shortcut or equivalent to a directory that functions in powershell.Most of the folders I usually access in powershell are on another drive. This means that to access them I need to type "cd D:/something/something-else/projects" for example.Is there a...
  5. shortcut to folder that works in powershell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    shortcut to folder that works in powershell: Hi,I would like to have a shortcut or equivalent to a directory that functions in powershell.Most of the folders I usually access in powershell are on another drive. This means that to access them I need to type "cd D:/something/something-else/projects" for example.Is there a...
  6. shortcut to folder that works in powershell

7. Some Photoshop shortcuts quit working

Some Photoshop shortcuts quit working: Moderators - move this thread if necessary but I searched this thread & found similar posts. I've used shortcuts in Photoshop for years but every now & then one or two Photoshop shortcuts quit working. Other shortcuts are not effected. The only major change I've made to my...
  8. The keyboard shortcut to create a new folder stop working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The keyboard shortcut to create a new folder stop working: On my Windows 10 home laptop (Dell XPS 13 9370), I always used to press control + shift + N to create a new folder. For some reason, that stopped working recently. It doesn't work on an external keyboard or on the laptop keyboard. I'm not sure why. Now I need to do right...
  9. Shortcut Folders not Working in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shortcut Folders not Working in OneDrive: Inside of OneDrive I have created folders inside of folders, organizing all of my documents I work with on a daily basis. In some folders I need to shortcut to other folders within these folders. I hope I am not confusing here, But this worked very well for me on windows...
  10. DisplayPort suddenly quit working

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    DisplayPort suddenly quit working: Hey guys, So i turned my computer on this morning, no problem. DisplayPort fully functional. Has been fully functional all day, Then i walk away from the PC and make supper, I come back to it untouched except no display anymore. For whatever reason the DisplayPort just...