Windows 10: New folders in File Explorer automatically close

Discus and support New folders in File Explorer automatically close in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I create a new folder in Window10 File Explorer, the folder automatically closes before I can type it in. It's a real hassle.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NYCOMARI, Nov 10, 2020.

1. NYCOMARI Win User

New folders in File Explorer automatically close

When I create a new folder in Window10 File Explorer, the folder automatically closes before I can type it in. It's a real hassle.

:)

NYCOMARI, Nov 10, 2020

2. Win10 File Explorer will not allow naming a new folder

Just downloaded Windows 10. In File Explorer I tried to create a new folder, but could not enter a name. The box closed and reverted to New Folder. Tried Rename, but box closed after entering first letter. Also in list of folders, keeps auto scrolling to
    top.

Edit:

Link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...t-rename/3d93fe8a-6041-4d2b-97a0-8fd7cc4f1a2d

Title:

File Explorer will not rename

Just downloaded Windows 10. In File Explorer I tried to create a new folder, but could not enter a name. The box closed and reverted to New Folder. Tried Rename, but box closed after entering first letter.
    Also in list of folders, keeps auto scrolling to top.

No color problems, so do not understand first reply.

AngusScully, Nov 10, 2020
  3. File Explorer window closing automatically

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand your query related to File Explorer crashing on your PC. For further clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below.

1. Which build version of Windows 10 are you using currently?
    2. Are you aware of any changes made to the PC prior to which you weren’t facing this issue?

Refer the article Which version of Windows operating system am I running?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and see if that helps.

Method 1:

Try troubleshooting File Explorer using the troubleshooter. Refer the article

Automatically diagnose and repair Windows file and folder problems
    and see if that helps.

Method 2:

Try resetting the File Explorer settings to defaults and see if that helps.

1. Press Windows + E key to open
      File Explorer.
    2. Now click on View and click on
      Options
    3. On the Folder Options window click on
      Restore Defaults.
    4. Now click on View tab and click on
      Restore Defaults.

Method 3:

To isolate the issue related to user account corruption, try creating a new user account and then test the issue. Refer the article

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Nov 10, 2020
  4. New folders in File Explorer automatically close

Files remain in original folder after moving them to new folder in file explorer

Hi,

The issue that you’ve encountered regarding the File Explorer may be caused by some configuration or files mismatched. To sort out your concern, we suggest that you reset the folder settings from the
    Folder Options. This will reboot the folder’s preferences to its default state and remove any possible software conflict. To do this, you may follow these steps:

• Click Start, type File Explorer, and press
      Enter
    • On the File Explorer window, click the View tab > Options > Change folder and search options > View.
    • Under the Folder views section, click Reset Folders, and then select
      Yes to confirm.
    • Once you’re done, click OK, and then check if the issue persists.

Note: This process will remove the list of files that you recently opened.

Let us know if the suggestion works for you.

Joseph Ban, Nov 10, 2020
Thema:

New folders in File Explorer automatically close

1. New folders in File Explorer automatically close - Similar Threads - folders File Explorer

2. The screen refreshes and any file explorer folder open crashes and closes automatically.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The screen refreshes and any file explorer folder open crashes and closes automatically.: The screen refreshes and any file explorer folder open crashes and closes automatically. Also if any other applications with multiple tabs are open, like 2 - 3 excel sheets, only 1 tab remains after the auto refresh. Pls advise a fix to this....
  3. The screen refreshes and any file explorer folder open crashes and closes automatically.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The screen refreshes and any file explorer folder open crashes and closes automatically.: The screen refreshes and any file explorer folder open crashes and closes automatically. Also if any other applications with multiple tabs are open, like 2 - 3 excel sheets, only 1 tab remains after the auto refresh. Pls advise a fix to this....
  4. Windows Explorer automatically closing itself after opening folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer automatically closing itself after opening folders.: Hello, I am having an issue with Windows Explorer. Whenever I open up Explorer and start to dive in by two or three folders deep, the program locks up, closes itself, and then my taskbar flashes once as if restarting itself. I have tried deleting files I thought might be the...
  5. Windows Explorer automatically closing itself after opening folders.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer automatically closing itself after opening folders.: Hello, I am having an issue with Windows Explorer. Whenever I open up Explorer and start to dive in by two or three folders deep, the program locks up, closes itself, and then my taskbar flashes once as if restarting itself. I have tried deleting files I thought might be the...
  6. Windows Explorer automatically closing itself after opening folders.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Automatically closing folders opend

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Automatically closing folders opend: After i start my laptop, after some time lap is closing my opened folders, videos and everything automatically. And my keyboard also doesnt work at that time. Can you help me....
  8. File Explorer - Creating new folders

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer - Creating new folders: Windows 1909 and before. Issue: When I try to create a new folder in File Explorer I can only type one letter then File Explorer acts like I pressed enter. For example if I Create a try to creater called " File Explorer will only let me create a folder called "j" The work...
  9. File Explorer window closing automatically

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer window closing automatically: I always use file explorer (used to be windows explorer). Anyhow, after opening the file explorer, it closes by itself after 30 minutes or so. Any solution of disabling it? I have Windows 10 Pro. ***Original title: file explorer/window explorer closes by itself***...
  10. File Explorer: Problem with New Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer: Problem with New Folder: Often when I select New | Folder in File Explorer, as I'm typing in the name for the new folder, the text entry boxes closes too soon, leaving either "New Folder" or a partial entry as the name for the new folder, requiring me to explicitly rename the folder. Why is the text...