Windows 10: New GPU doesn't show post but boots normally to windows

Discus and support New GPU doesn't show post but boots normally to windows in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi everyone I've been searching google high and low for the past few days, trying to find a solution. My boss and I bought a used workstation PC.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by juunasv, Mar 22, 2017.

1. juunasv Win User

New GPU doesn't show post but boots normally to windows

Hi everyone

I've been searching google high and low for the past few days, trying to find a solution.

My boss and I bought a used workstation PC.

I have an eGPU setup at home, and have an overpowered GPU for it. So I switched the two (workstation/eGPU).

The new gpu doesn't show post, so I can't enter BIOS, but windows boots fine.
    When I click display setting, windows detects a phantom monitor.
    I can't boot to safe windows. Or do a clean install if I don't install the old GPU first.

The motherboard doesn't have a display output. And I'm not even sure, that intel HD is even trying to output.

Does anyone have an idea of what is going on with my system?

The relevant parts are

MSI X99S GAMING 7
    I7 5820k (not overclocked)
    EVGA GTX 770 (that came with the workstation)
    Sapphire R9 290 TRI-X OC (from my eGPU)
    Windows Pro x64 on SSD (MBR)

:)

juunasv, Mar 22, 2017

2. Windows 10 refuses to boot without the old monitor.

So, I used to have two monitors connected to my computer:

-An iiyama G-Master GB2783QSU Silver Crow connected through a DisplayPort

-And an old Acer AL1912 connected through a DVI port with a VGA to DVI adapter. (POST was showing on this monitor)

My GPU is a Geforce 970

Recently the older monitor started flickering and died. So after powering down the computer (it did an update at that time) I disconnected it entirely.

Next time I started the computer it went trough POST normally (it was shown on the new monitor) but then after showing a low dash a couple times the screen went black. (didn't shut down, but was entirely black, no mouse cursor anywhere even when trying to
    move the mouse)

I tried waiting for 1/2 an hour to see if it would boot eventually.

I tried logging in "blindly"

Nothing worked.

Pressing the power button would shut down the machine instantly. (after restarting it it went trough POST again to the same result)

Then I had an idea. I reconnected the dead monitor.

And magically, it worked. It booted normally. POST was invisible due to the fact that it was probably sent to a dead screen, but after booting windows defaulted to the new monitor (as it was set to do).

I tried this a couple times and noticed that the old monitor doesn't even need to be powered on or connected to electricity. Just connected to the port.

I also tried scanning for hardware changes in the device manager after unplugging the old monitor. It went from showing 2 pnp monitors to showing one. But it still wouldn't boot without the old one (it resets to 2 pnp monitors after the reboot)

I tried updating the GPU drivers, no change.

Any idea on how to fix it?

EDIT:

Tried entering safe mode with msconfig boot settings. Bad idea. No image on the new screen. (even with the old connected) Couldn't exit safe mode. Had no vision.

Connected the new monitor trough HDMI instead of DisplayPort, it somewhat fixed the issue. It doesn't need the old monitor to boot anymore and I was able to exit safe mode.

Still, I would like to connect it with Displayport, I don't think HDMI allows the 75hz @1440p this monitor is capable of.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

serpent90YK, Mar 22, 2017
  3. Drsy Win User
    Need help in solving this error 0xc000000e

*Minor Update 23/jan/8.45pm/India*

After the problem first occured on 21 Jan night, I left the PC untouched for 22Jan, On 23rd Jan, I removed the Sapphire GPU, Removed one of the RAM, Disconnected the HDD, where my music and other data is stored. SSD wires are checked and slightly tightened.
    The monitor HDMI wire is connected the motherboard.

After this, I switch on the PC, and Voila, the PC starts to boot, not before popping a innocuous message which reads as the RAM is lowered from what it was previously. I press enter and the windows starts normally. everything seems to be working fine. After
    a while, I shut down the PC, and then insert the Second RAM. It is working normal now.

So, one thing seems clear to me, that the RAM is perfectly fine at least at the time of writing this post.

Now, I am treading carefully to ensure that the cause of error can be found and problem resolved once and for all.

My next steps..

1) continue to use my PC normally in the above circumstances.

2) Connect the HDD using a new SATA cable, and check whether the error reoccurs.

(By now if the error doesn't show up, I pretty well know that it was the GPU that was the culprit.)

3) Scan the HDD using kaspersky or windows antivirus to see if virus is not the cause.

4) insert the GPU and see if the problem has been due to it.

Please guide if I need to do something else.

4. New GPU doesn't show post but boots normally to windows

So, Im not entirely certain what you are telling us here. Please clarify.

From this I am understanding that you have an external graphics card that you are using with your system rather than one that is in the system itself. This card doesnt display any POST or anything, just goes right to Windows.

IF this is the case, then what is happening is this: The eGPU is likely connected by USB 3.0 or some similar high data rate port. These ports are initialized at boot, but because of the way it is set up the card and the eGPU assembly dont get initialized until the drivers for this setup are loaded with Windows. Nothing is controlling the eGPU before this happens which is why you dont see a post happening.

Why is it that you are using an eGPU on a desktop anyway?

ArazelEternal, Mar 23, 2017
  5. juunasv Win User
    My apologies, english is a second language.

I'd love to talk about eGPU, but that is for a later time.

I'll try and explain the basics.

I got a workstation with the before mentioned parts.
    I changed the GPU from GTX 770 to R9 290. Windows boots fine and is operational, but I don't get the POST screen.
    I can't enter BIOS or do a system restore/ enter safe mode.
    Windows detects a non-plugged display, a phantom display. I can't remove this phantom display, which means, that the display connected through the GPU is always secondary display.
    When I put the old GPU, GTX 770, there is no problem.
    I've tried clearing the CMOS, but makes no difference.
    I want to use the R9 290 as main card, but the system won't let me.

juunasv, Mar 26, 2017
  6. juunasv Win User
    Well I managed to sort it out.

I was lucky to borrow a third GPU, and it worked fine like the 770. So I deduced it to a faulty BIOS on the R9 290.
    I flashed a new BIOS on it and it works like it should.

juunasv, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

New GPU doesn't show post but boots normally to windows

1. New GPU doesn't show post but boots normally to windows - Similar Threads - GPU doesn't show

2. PC won’t boot after new gpu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC won’t boot after new gpu: After making the switch, the pc booted normally but very slow response and no applications would load, the computer would freeze and have to restart. Eventually, it wouldn’t boot up at all and messing with UEFI and legacy settings enabled me to be in startup lookup with...
  3. PC won’t boot after new gpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC won’t boot after new gpu: After making the switch, the pc booted normally but very slow response and no applications would load, the computer would freeze and have to restart. Eventually, it wouldn’t boot up at all and messing with UEFI and legacy settings enabled me to be in startup lookup with...
  4. PC won’t boot after new gpu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows boots normally but does not show PIN prompt

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows boots normally but does not show PIN prompt: Windows boots as usual, shows the nice picture, etc, but when I press a key the prompt to enter my pin does not show up - it just shows the faded picture with the three icons in the lower right corner. So far I have tried entering in safe mode, which does nothing except show...
  6. Windows sometimes boots sometimes doesn't normally but always boots when selecting a disk...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows sometimes boots sometimes doesn't normally but always boots when selecting a disk...: After multiple reinstalls of Windows on SSD it keeps giving me errors : No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key Boot device not found, Hard DISK (3F0) Device needs to be repaired. When I enter the boot manager by pressing F9 during startup. Choosing the...
  7. GPU Bend causing no POST?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    GPU Bend causing no POST?: I've been having problems with my GPU EVGA 2070 Super XC and it's been a weird one all over the place. One second it works perfectly fine, next second it won't even POST, idk anymore. I decided to take a look at the physical card itself and I noticed an absurdly abnormal...
  8. gpu not showing in windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    gpu not showing in windows: Hello! recently a week ago my pc was working fine than one day the window corrupted so i reinstalled the win 10 pro 64bit after install the window is not showing the gpu the nvidia panel is also not showing and nvidia drivers also didnt install giving an error tat...
  9. New gpu, fine in safemode, bsod on normal boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New gpu, fine in safemode, bsod on normal boot: I installed a radeon r9 200 series gpu into what was an hp pavilion p6110f, I've upgraded cpu to a core 2 quad q9650, maxed out ram, and my psus is a 550w. Trying to boot normally I get a bsod with a device caught in driver thread message, HOWEVER booting into safemode it...
  10. New Posts Not Showing My New Posts.

in Windows 10 Support
    New Posts Not Showing My New Posts.: When I post a new thread. It never shows under New Posts. I can only find any of my new posts, under Activity Stream and nothing shows under New Posts. Is this the correct behavior for newly posted threads? 117945

Users found this page by searching for:

1. gpu launches to windows does not show bios

2. GPU boots but doesnt POST

3. if gpu doesnt show in bios menu

4. x99 does not show post boots normally