Windows 10: New hard drive, cannot boot from USB

Discus and support New hard drive, cannot boot from USB in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Recently I made a thread about not being able to boot my computer. I decided to buy a new hard drive in case that one was failing, but still have made... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 2016jmiller, Oct 19, 2020.

1. New hard drive, cannot boot from USB

Recently I made a thread about not being able to boot my computer. I decided to buy a new hard drive in case that one was failing, but still have made no progress. The problem is that whenever I try to boot from the USB, the Windows logo flashes for a second then I'm stuck on a black screen with a flashing white underscore in the top left. I have tried formatting the flash drive and re-downloading the Windows software to it several times in case the files were corrupt, and have attempted to use Rufus but don't understand what settings to use. I've tried 2 different USB sticks, and a few different ports. I've been working on this for several days and I'm just at a complete loss. I'm pretty sure that Legacy boot is enabled, but see no options regarding CSM as other posts have suggested.
    I have only found one other case where the user was having the exact same problem, but they said their solution was to download the files from somewhere besides the Microsoft website. I haven't been able to find the correct files for that either.

:)

2016jmiller, Oct 19, 2020
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

Booting from USB on x38 Motherboard, NOT?

Typically the USB should be listed under the hard drive boot order. Set your "Boot Device Priority" to HDD first, then set the hard drive boot order to the USB stick first.

New hard drive, cannot boot from USB bios_asus-jpg.jpg

Lazzer408, Oct 19, 2020
  3. exterior hard drive usable?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Plug USB hard drive into old computer.
    • Open File Explorer (Win+E) and open the USB drive.
    • Open another File Explorer window and open your documents folder.
    • Drag files to the USB drive.
    • Move drive to new computer.
    • Drag files to their new homes in the matching documents/pictures/videos/whatever folders you use to organize.
    Please let us know if you have any further issues. in uploading/ transferring data.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Oct 19, 2020
  4. D-rock Win User

New hard drive, cannot boot from USB

Help with USB Boot Image

I am trying to boot from my USB flash drive. I followed the instructions step for step that are in the article on this website. I downloaded the HP program and the USB Image zip file. I ran the HP flash program and pointed it to the folder where I unzipped the USB Image files to. I then copied all the files over to the USB memory stick as instructed. When I restart my computer and press F12 to go to the boot menu I have 3 options: SATA hard drive, CD-ROM drive, or USB Device. So I choose USB device and when it reads the USB memory stick all I get is the error "Non-system disk, replace and hit any key" Its like the USB memory is missing some system files or it doesnt have the master boot record or something. Somebody please HELP!!! I want to flash the bios in a new video card and I have to boot to DOS and I dont have a floppy drive and I have Win XP so a USB boot is probably the best option I have.

D-rock, Oct 19, 2020
Thema:

New hard drive, cannot boot from USB

1. New hard drive, cannot boot from USB - Similar Threads - hard drive cannot

2. Cannot boot from USB drives anymore since "fixing" hard drives.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot boot from USB drives anymore since "fixing" hard drives.: It had been over a year since I made a clone of my Windows 10 SSD drive, so I decided to update the backup. The backup is another SSD that's sitting on the shelf. I can unplug my current one, plug in the backup, and boot up with everything matching (installed programs,...
  3. New hard drive, cannot boot from USB

New hard drive, cannot boot from USB: Recently I made a thread about not being able to boot my computer. I decided to buy a new hard drive in case that one was failing, but still have made no progress. The problem is that whenever I try to boot from the USB, the Windows logo flashes for a second then I'm stuck on...
  4. install WIndows 10 from usb drive to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    install WIndows 10 from usb drive to new hard drive: Is it possible to install windows 10 from usb drive to hard drive on a newly built computer? My grandson built a computer for gaming and got windows 10 on the Microsoft site. He saved it on a usb drive but doesn't know how to get it installed on the hard drive. He has usb...
  5. Cannot boot from creation tool usb drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot boot from creation tool usb drive: I recently purchased a refurbished Dell Inspiron convertible laptop. It arrived with Windows 10 Pro installed but could not be activated as the pre-loaded key was for Windows 10 Home. I made a usb flash drive with the windows creation tool and then changed the boot order to...
  6. Boot from usb hard drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot from usb hard drive?: I have an external hard drive that I use for backups. Is it possible to install Windows to the drive and then use it as an alternative boot drive? 133574
  7. Brand new hard drive, unable to boot off of USB drive.

Brand new hard drive, unable to boot off of USB drive.: Built a new computer with a WD SSD and tried to install/boot windows. I am now stuck in the boot cycle. I am using a brand new Windows boot USB purchased from Best Buy yesterday afternoon. The below error message is what I keep getting no matter what options I choose and the...
  8. Cannot Boot from USB

Cannot Boot from USB: Hi, I am trying to install win 10 from USB stick on a VAIO VGN FZ160E. The current OS is Win7x64, which I installed from a USB stick about 7 years ago. I have the following situation: Booting from USB doesn't work from any of USB ports. Booting from USB doesn't also work...
  9. cannot write on USB hard drive

cannot write on USB hard drive: hello my problem is kinda strange and very annoying this problem started a month ago when i try to access , copy or read data from my HDD there is no problem at all but when i try to copy or move new data to my External hard drive copying speed drops from 30-60 Mb/s to...
  10. Cannot Boot From USB

Cannot Boot From USB: Currently, I am using Wiindows 7 Home Premium x86 with the drive in MBR partition style. I tried to make a bootable USB of latest Windows 10 x86 ISO with Rufus in this configuration: GPT partition Scheme for UEFI FAT32 4096 bytes Quick Format Create extended label and...