Windows 10: New Hard Drive Fitted - Cloned or System Image File will not boot - fresh install will

Discus and support New Hard Drive Fitted - Cloned or System Image File will not boot - fresh install will in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an HP Elitebook 850 G3. It was fitted with a 180 GB Sata M2 SSD - which is now struggling or free space. I bought a Kinston 1 TB KC2500 SSD to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by thelearner21, Dec 12, 2020.

1. New Hard Drive Fitted - Cloned or System Image File will not boot - fresh install will

I have an HP Elitebook 850 G3. It was fitted with a 180 GB Sata M2 SSD - which is now struggling or free space.

I bought a Kinston 1 TB KC2500 SSD to fit to the M2 slot.

I cloned the 180 GB Sata to the 1 TB - but although the drive was recognised and worked, and was recognised as a UEFI device in the BIOS - it would not boot at all.

I then created a W10 system image file using the W10 backup.

I fitted the 1 TB SSD - booted from a W10 64Bit UEFI USB drive - and installed the image file to the SSD - all 4 volumes were copied OK - but it still would not boot and Windows could not repair the start up issues. There was a large unused partition on the SSD.

The Kingston 1TB device was not recognised as a UEFI boot device,

Secure boot is disabled in the BIOS and this setting has never been changed.

I decided to do fresh install of Windows from the USB stick. This worked OK, but now in UEFI boot list - I do not see Kingston but see Windows UEFI Boot Manager in the M2 slot.

I have 2 Windows 10 volumes - Volume 4 which is my old system image install and the one I'd really like to use - as it has all my drivers and software installed. However Windows will not start when volume 4 is selected - and Startup repair cannot repair volume 4 to let it boot.

Volume 8 has the new install and boots OK - but if I continue with this I have to reinstall all drivers and applications - which will be hugely time consuming for me.

I thought I'd imply put the 180 GB SSD back in and be back to normal - but now it will not boot and does not appear in the UEFI partition table. So I am really stuck now.

Is there any way I'd be able to get Volume 4 Bootable? Or the old SSD bootable?

I will try and post a snip of drive management - disk 0 is a 2.5" ssd used for storage and backup.

New Hard Drive Fitted - Cloned or System Image File will not boot - fresh install will ad01608e-3097-4bf1-b5d0-e063b39deaa8?upload=true.png

:)

thelearner21, Dec 12, 2020
  2. OrbitzXT Win User

How to clone a hard drive?

I'm a little confused about one thing with this guide.

If my existing HDD is unplugged, and the only thing plugged in is my new, blank, SSD...where is the system image being stored for Windows to restore from?

Edit: I missed the part where it says you'll need an extra HDD to do this, my bad. Do you know if an external HDD would work to store the system image on?

OrbitzXT, Dec 12, 2020
  3. Nickylee1 Win User
    Do window 10 offer a clone image feature for backup system?

Hi, oemSoft

I am sorry to tell you that there is no built-in clone feature in Windows 10. If you just create a system image backup, you can follow the steps below to create a system image in Windows 10.

Step 1. Open Control Panel, go to System and Security > File History, then click System Image Backup at the lower-left corner. Or you can directly type backup and restore in the search box and select it from the search result list.

Step 2. Connect the USB drive to your computer and select it as the destination path, then click Next.

Step 3. Confirm your backup settings and click Start Backup.

However, if you want to clone your system directly, you can choose a third-party software like AOMEI Backupper. This is a professional clone software that allows you to

clone system
    to different places such as external hard drive, USB drive or Network, etc. without booting problems. With it, you also can clone the entire disk to HDD or SSD.

Nickylee1, Dec 12, 2020
  4. Sanhime Win User

New Hard Drive Fitted - Cloned or System Image File will not boot - fresh install will

Cloning from 1TB to 2TB hard drive

Whats a good free imaging/cloning program? I have a 1TB hard drive with Win7 and I want to seamlessly migrate my stuff to a 2TB hard drive. Any suggestions?

Sanhime, Dec 12, 2020
Thema:

New Hard Drive Fitted - Cloned or System Image File will not boot - fresh install will

1. New Hard Drive Fitted - Cloned or System Image File will not boot - fresh install will - Similar Threads - Hard Drive Fitted

2. Boot Device Not Found on Fresh Install on New Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot Device Not Found on Fresh Install on New Hard Drive: I am performing a fresh install for somebody on a new hard drive. Their last hard drive basically died, but I was able to pull the user file out of it. When I went to put the hard drive into their computer, I was getting a boot device not found error. I brought the hard drive...
  3. Boot Device Not Found on Fresh Install on New Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot Device Not Found on Fresh Install on New Hard Drive: I am performing a fresh install for somebody on a new hard drive. Their last hard drive basically died, but I was able to pull the user file out of it. When I went to put the hard drive into their computer, I was getting a boot device not found error. I brought the hard drive...
  4. Boot Device Not Found on Fresh Install on New Hard Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Cloning or imaging the system?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning or imaging the system?: Helo guys, I hope you can help. I have laptop A (with broken screen and win 10 installed) and want to transfer everything on Laptop B. They are not the same configuration (Hp & Dell). Obviously I can boot and use Laptop A with external monitor to make image file. I would like...
  6. cloning to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    cloning to a new hard drive: when cloning windows 10 drive to a new SSD, should the new hard drive be blank? so if not, then do you need to delete everything on it or reformat it first? i bought a new pc that has Windows 10 and I want to clone my old pc to the new one...... using macrium . thanks in...
  7. Install system image on new hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install system image on new hard drive: My hard drive was failing so I decided to create a system image to use on new hard drive. Every thing went well until I tried to load system image on new hard drive. Error message informed me that Win 10 uses UEFI, but my Win 7 used MBR. I upgraded my system from 7 to 10...
  8. BSOD fresh install on new hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD fresh install on new hard drive: Hi, I have been getting the VERY FUN irql_not_less_or_equal BSOD after doing a fresh install on a brand new SSD. I can't for the life of me figure out what's causing the BSOD. Here are the files: DESKTOP-T065BLG-2018-12-17_131645_32.zip 123637
  9. Image or clone the hard drive? Best option?

Image or clone the hard drive? Best option?: Would appreciate your help! *Confused Have a Toshiba Satellite L655 laptop (one morning the laptop with Windows 7 upgraded itself to Windows 10). Would like to use Macrium Reflect Free to create an image of its hard drive. Have no clue whether I need an image or whether I...
  10. Clone secondary hard drive to new hard drive

Clone secondary hard drive to new hard drive: Hi! Bought a replacement secondary hard drive, but want to know best tool to clone it. My main drive is an SSD with Windows on, but I used Kari's tutorial to move the user folder on to a secondary hard drive, so just unsure on the best way to go to keep the User folder...