Windows 10: new hard drive has win7

Discus and support new hard drive has win7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My old laptop has a new hard drive in which I had installed win7. This was a few months before getting notified about the termination of updates to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Terry LinRandall, Sep 11, 2019.

1. new hard drive has win7

My old laptop has a new hard drive in which I had installed win7. This was a few months before getting notified about the termination of updates to win7. laptops. Anyways what I want to know is if installing win10 software on my laptop would be better than buying a laptop that I can't even afford

:)

Terry LinRandall, Sep 11, 2019
  2. Tim B285 Win User

Win10 on new hard drive, how to activate

• Installed Win10 to new hard drive, but Win7 code does not work.
    • Tried online (slui.exe 4) activation:
      • entered numeric codes online - which failed,
      • talked to 1st line tech who entered Win7 code - did not work,
      • transferred me to 2nd line tech and no one came on the phone line after 2.5 hours.

Win7 was pre-installed on HP computer with no media provided and HP support has no process to supply replacement media or ISO (last HP purchase). Tried to install Win7 to new drive using Recovery Disks I created, but it could not find system image.

Not willing to return to old hard drive as the new one has SSD and is at least 3 (7?) times faster.

QUESTION 1: Is my only option now to buy either Win7 or Win10?

QUESTION 2: Without activation, when will Win10 no longer boot? If 12 months, I can retry online activation later.

Tim B285, Sep 11, 2019
  3. Sanhime Win User
    Cloning from 1TB to 2TB hard drive

Whats a good free imaging/cloning program? I have a 1TB hard drive with Win7 and I want to seamlessly migrate my stuff to a 2TB hard drive. Any suggestions?

Sanhime, Sep 11, 2019
  4. new hard drive has win7

Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Sep 11, 2019
Thema:

new hard drive has win7

1. new hard drive has win7 - Similar Threads - hard drive has

2. New hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New hard drive: My old hard drive in my Acer laptop was stuck in a desktop refresh loop. I took a hard drive from a dell desktop and installed it into my Acer laptop. It boots fine, but none of the drivers work. I can't update them or reinstall them to get them to work. I can't connect to...
  3. new hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    new hard drive: I have just installed a new hard drive as the old one was running slow i transferred everything over but it would not move the windows part so cannot start up pc without the old hard drive...
  4. new hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    new hard drive: I have just installed a new hard drive as the old one was running slow i transferred everything over but it would not move the windows part so cannot start up pc without the old hard drive...
  5. Hard drive with Win10 keeps crashing to hard drive with Win7

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive with Win10 keeps crashing to hard drive with Win7: Hello, I'm not sure if this is even a Windows issue but I thought I'd try to see if maybe anyone can shed some insight as to what the heck is going on with my computer! I have a HDD with Win7 installed and as a partition from way back when. I've since gotten a SSD with...
  6. Reinstall Win10 from Win7. New hard drive; microsoft won't accept Win7 key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall Win10 from Win7. New hard drive; microsoft won't accept Win7 key: Trying to reload Windows 10 Pro on machine with new hard drive but same MOBO. Win10 originally loaded via free upgrade from valid Win7 product key. Using MediaCreationTool1909.exe to download/load reload but I get an 'invalid' response after entering original Win7...
  7. New Windows 10 machine. Old external Win7 Hard drive

New Windows 10 machine. Old external Win7 Hard drive: I recently had my Win7 machine fail on me. The hard drive is fine, so I bought a new Win10 laptop. I want to transfer my files and programs over from the old Win 7 drive to the new Win 10 computer. I have it mounted externally already. I can not boot to the Win7...
  8. New Hard Drive

New Hard Drive: I am looking to replace my current hard drive with a better one, and I am unsure on where to go/what to do on going about to install Windows 10 (Pro, to be exact.) back onto my PC with the new hard drive. Where would I go to download an installer and what would I do? I have a...
  9. Remove hard drive with old OS (win7)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove hard drive with old OS (win7): Hi I tried to remove the SSD drive E: with the old OS (win7) so I can use it with my old motherboard/CPU as a backup PC. But the PC doesn't boot up. I go to BIOS and choose the drive C: with the new OS (win10) but it doesn't boot up. When I connect back the E: boots up...
  10. new hard drive has windows installed

in Windows 10 Customization
    new hard drive has windows installed: I have factory installed widows10, on brand new hard drive. nothing else on disk. what is next step? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-hard-drive-has-windows-installed/fed6ecb6-7451-4a47-9fb8-85ad4e34bb6a