Windows 10: New Hard drive-Install OS without disk

Discus and support New Hard drive-Install OS without disk in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My husband's laptop needed a new hard drive. We bought the laptop refurbished and it didn't come with the Windows 10 disks. We do not have a back up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MrsManor, Oct 27, 2018.

1. MrsManor Win User

New Hard drive-Install OS without disk

My husband's laptop needed a new hard drive. We bought the laptop refurbished and it didn't come with the Windows 10 disks. We do not have a back up copy. What can I do to reinstall Windows 10? Thanks.

:)

MrsManor, Oct 27, 2018
  2. little cat, Oct 27, 2018
  3. How to Partiton a Hard Drive in Vista

This is a way to get Vista to see another hard drive that is not associated with the OS. There is some times when your new hdd doesn't seem to want to work well with Vista. But, there is a solution in it.

Open the Computer Management By doing these steps.
    • Click on the Start Button
    • Click on Control Panel
    • Click Administrative Tools
    • Double click on Computer Management
    You are now in the Navigation panel of the Computer Management.
    When in Computer Management, you then have to allow the new drive to be recognized.
    • Double click on Storage
    • Double click on Disk Management
    Now in the middle of your screen there is the layout of the Disk Drives that you have. The drives that are partitioned will show by the drive lettering. The others will just show up as having nothing at all in them. Below that there will be the Disk drives that are installed into the computer. You'll see that the primary one will all ways read as "Disk 0". Then you will have Disk 1 and so on. Under the Disks there will also see your CD-Rom drives.. If there is more then one, it will be labeled the same as Disk drives..

On to the Partitioning of the drive in question.
    • Right Click on the drive
    • Click to format the drive or Enable Volume. There will be a series of windows that open up. This is Vista's formatting. Just go threw the windows, and make sure everything is the way you want it to happen.
    • Once the formatting is done, will take some time depending on the drive size.
    • Right click on the drive
    • Click on Mark the Partition as Active
    After you have done those steps, The drive will be up and running threw Vista.

:Side Notes:
    If you are not the Administer to the Os, then you will have to enable it..
    You may also want to redo the drive lettering of it all. But, I really don't see a reason to do so. If you do, you have to redo drive paths and so forth.. A lot of work on something so small...

Cold Storm, Oct 27, 2018
  4. FLGal215 Win User

Hard drive crashed with no recovery disk for new hard drive

Will I need the Windows operating system disk to install on new hard drive, old hard drive with Microsoft OS on crashed?

FLGal215, Oct 27, 2018
Thema:

1. New Hard drive-Install OS without disk - Similar Threads - Hard drive Install

2. Repair a malfunctioning hard drive with new hard drive with new OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repair a malfunctioning hard drive with new hard drive with new OS: Say if I had a hard drive that had issues booting OS. Specifically not booting windows or being detected as installed and command prompt remedies were of no help.So instead I decide to do it my way by getting a new hard drive, unplugging the old non-booting one, and plugging...
  3. Repair a malfunctioning hard drive with new hard drive with new OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repair a malfunctioning hard drive with new hard drive with new OS: Say if I had a hard drive that had issues booting OS. Specifically not booting windows or being detected as installed and command prompt remedies were of no help.So instead I decide to do it my way by getting a new hard drive, unplugging the old non-booting one, and plugging...
  4. New hard drive without Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New hard drive without Windows: Hi,I lost my hard drive, internal damaged. I had to buy a new hard drive, but can't install the Windows it had before because I didn't make a backup disc. What can I do? Who to contact to give me the key number I had before?I would appreciate any help. Thank you....
  5. New hard drive without Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New hard drive without Windows: Hi,I lost my hard drive, internal damaged. I had to buy a new hard drive, but can't install the Windows it had before because I didn't make a backup disc. What can I do? Who to contact to give me the key number I had before?I would appreciate any help. Thank you....
  6. New hard drive without Windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Migrating OS to new Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating OS to new Hard Drive: Okay, I think I need some help. I am trying to move my OS from a SSD that runs on SATA to a PCIe NVMe SSD. My motherboard has a native NVMe slot so I was able to plug it in no problem. I can get a reading on the hard drive itself and I made a complete copy of it using...
  8. Transfer OS to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer OS to new hard drive: Hello, I just ordered a new Seagate Barracuda 2tb HDD for my desktop and i was wondering how i could go about transferring my Windows 10 OS over along with some other software i have downloaded. I plan on combing my two hard drives into the new one, and trashing the...
  9. New hard drive OS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New hard drive OS: I just installed a new hard drive that supposedly has Windows 10 Pro already activated on it. When I turn the computer on I get a message saying it is not bootable and to insert an OS CD. If I install new Windows 10 drivers, should the preloaded Windows work, or will I need...
  10. Loading OS on new Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Loading OS on new Hard Drive: Hello, I need to replace the Hard Drive. I am of average computer knowledge. Talking with Dell. it doesn't sound very difficult to install the OS win7 using a USB media and the F12 key. Then add in the Drives from my disk I have. Does this sound correct, or will this turn...